Prospects and Marlies Discussion - Gauthier to the Memorial Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Frattin is too good for the ahl. He's the best player on the ice, NHL shot/skating/strength.

Why did he look so brutal when he was up? Couldn't cement a spot in the NHL. He will get another chance this fall but perhaps he is just an AHL all star (ala Keith aucion, Corey Locke, Alex giroux)

Well the problem was he wasn't getting time anywhere. He lost his confidence. He had a pretty bad injury and he needed some time to come back from that, and at that time, he lost his spot and they never gave him a shot to get it back. Now that he's another year removed from his injury and has his confidence back, I think he's good enough to be a quality bottom 6 scorer whom may be able to step up. I won't say he's a top 6er yet, but I wouldn't leave it out of the question.

Likely an AHL star. Agreed on the shot being NHL calibre, but the skating is not. Nor is the vision or ability to think the game quickly. He's a superior version of Jeremy Williams, imo.

Skating is one of his strong suits, and is definitely NHL caliber. That's something that made people believe he was a top 6er in the first place. He suffered an injury that slowed him down a little bit, and that made him lose his spot and his confidence, but now that he's got all of that back, it's just a matter of him putting it together again. I believe he can, and I think he believes he can also, so I think we've got a very valuable, cheap player on our hands... Maybe even a Raymond type player.

Disagree about the skating. I think he is OK there. However, he lacks offensive awareness and his hands aren't very good. He also lacks shiftiness.

IMO

Actually, he's pretty good in those areas too. He doesn't have like Kane hands where he can deke everyone out, but he can get his hands on the puck in tight areas in front of the net and all of that. He knows what to do when he has the puck on his stick.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Likely an AHL star. Agreed on the shot being NHL calibre, but the skating is not. Nor is the vision or ability to think the game quickly. He's a superior version of Jeremy Williams, imo.

I recall him really showing off his speed in that bruins series (set up lupul goal?) and flashes elsewhere (last second winner in Buffalo). It's at least average. I agree with the vision and ability to think quick. Probably why he will always have more goals than assists.

Like another poster said, he lost his confidence. He should still be able to score at the nhl level. Maybe lacks intentsity and motivation too

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
It was very impressive seeing Nylander on the point on the powerplay, he actually has a hard shot and made some gorgeous passes across the ice.

Any chance we see Byron Froese anytime soon as a call-up or even a full-time player?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It was very impressive seeing Nylander on the point on the powerplay, he actually has a hard shot and made some gorgeous passes across the ice.

Any chance we see Byron Froese anytime soon as a call-up or even a full-time player?

He would have to sign an NHL contract. He was only signed to an AHL deal same as Rupert.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Frattin is too good for the ahl. He's the best player on the ice, NHL shot/skating/strength.

Why did he look so brutal when he was up? Couldn't cement a spot in the NHL. He will get another chance this fall but perhaps he is just an AHL all star (ala Keith aucion, Corey Locke, Alex giroux)

I'm not sure this is necessarily the case with Frattin - but some guys just need more icetime to find their game at the pro level. You give someone five minutes a night and it's hard to do that.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Don't know the particulars of an ato, but couldn't we have him play a game on one of those in theory?

We can sign him to a PTO and play him in the preseason, but that's about as far as it goes. We did that with Della Rovere, Manderson, Tallinder, etc. this year. We can't play him in a game that matters though (at least I don't think we can).

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Anyone else think Nylander looks an awful lot like Karlsson on that right point on the peeper?

Looks great, shot threat, ability to walk in, creep into holes and is absolutely lethal on that no look pass across the box to the other side for a one timer option.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
In case it wasn't mentioned, all 3 games (if necessary) will be broadcast live on LeafsTV. I'm sure other methods could be found as well...:D

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
I'm not sure this is necessarily the case with Frattin - but some guys just need more icetime to find their game at the pro level. You give someone five minutes a night and it's hard to do that.

Frattin got 40 games averaging 12 minutes TOI/G with the Kings and put up 6 points. His best season was 27 games with 13 points averaging 13 minutes. With the exception of this season, where he averaged 7 minutes, he has always be up around 12-13 minutes (even with Columbus).

I don't understand why people hold out hope for this guy. He's going to be 28 next season, he's had a shot with three different teams and, outside of a short stretch in a shortened season, has shown to be a depth forward at best.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Frattin got 40 games averaging 12 minutes TOI/G with the Kings and put up 6 points. His best season was 27 games with 13 points averaging 13 minutes. With the exception of this season, where he averaged 7 minutes, he has always be up around 12-13 minutes (even with Columbus).

I don't understand why people hold out hope for this guy. He's going to be 28 next season, he's had a shot with three different teams and, outside of a short stretch in a shortened season, has shown to be a depth forward at best.

I can understand why if you watch the Marlies. The guy just flatout looks like a star when in he's in that league, which makes it feel like that can somewhat translate to the NHL. He looks like Ovechkin-lite in the AHL (yes, an exaggeration)

A lot of players can't make that jump to the NHL succesfully though. Frattin isn't super fast and his skill is fairly limited outside of his great shot, which can be enough in the AHL but certainly not in the NHL. Jeremy Williams (ex-Marlie player) was the same.

What he needs to do if he wants a regular NHL job is to play a more consistent overall AND physical game. He's definitely not great in his own end and can turn over the puck a lot. He has the tools to be a really good NHLer but the toolbox needs to get in better shape.

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I can understand why if you watch the Marlies. The guy just flatout looks like a star when in the league, which makes it feel like that can somewhat translate to the NHL. He looks like Ovechkin-lite in the AHL (yes, an exaggeration)

A lot of players can't make that jump to the NHL succesfully though. Frattin isn't super fast and his skill is fairly limited outside of his great shot, which can be enough in the AHL but certainly not in the NHL. Jeremy Williams (ex-Marlie player) was the same.

What he needs to do if he wants a regular NHL job is to play a more consistent overall AND physical game. He's definitely not great in his own end and can turn over the puck a lot. He has the tools to be a really good NHLer but the toolbox needs to get in better shape.

I think Frattin can be an ideal 3rd liner... he works hard, hustles, and has some touch (though in the NHL always misses the net for some reason) he can be a solid player, but, sadly, not a top 6

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Frattin is again looking too good for the AHL but my eyes didn't deceive me earlier in the NHL season. He couldn't even do simple things like take a pass along the boards for a zone breakout. I was really rooting for him to succeed but he was awful.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
There's a category they use in baseball for prospects who seem too good for the minors but just can't become regulars in the Show , AAAA. Maybe that's Frattin.

mikebel111*

Two games... man that hurts. Losing Loov will hurt a lot.

I dont agree with the suspension at all. If anything should be 1 IMO.
Whatever it is a loss, but if Percy is healthy, than he can basically replace Loov. Replacing a top 4 on your team with another top 4 d man. If not, than Finn comes in.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Not surprised at the 2 games - one of the violent head shots I've seen in awhile. Loov has been dishing out these hits since he leveled Lazar in the Rookie tournament last summer. Looks great if you can avoid the head.

Is Percy ever healthy? Man he needs to have a good summer and be ready for next season.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Frattin is again looking too good for the AHL but my eyes didn't deceive me earlier in the NHL season. He couldn't even do simple things like take a pass along the boards for a zone breakout. I was really rooting for him to succeed but he was awful.

When he played on the Leafs there were times where he looked like an impact player. I can remember a couple goals where he just put the whole game on his stick and turned the tide. Trouble is he way too often looks disinterested. Besides the fact that he is now pushing 30, which should speak for itself ... i'd say he won't make it because he has always lacked the Connor Brown or Sam Carrick factor.

edit: which, as small a trade as it was, is also the moment where my back really broke on Nonis. D'amigo might not be the best player that ever was, but man that guy has heart. And man does he ever step up in big situations. I think there's plenty of evidence to show that Frattin just doesn't have enough drive.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
When he played on the Leafs there were times where he looked like an impact player. I can remember a couple goals where he just put the whole game on his stick and turned the tide. Trouble is he way too often looks disinterested. Besides the fact that he is now pushing 30, which should speak for itself ... i'd say he won't make it because he has always lacked the Connor Brown or Sam Carrick factor.

edit: which, as small a trade as it was, is also the moment where my back really broke on Nonis. D'amigo might not be the best player that ever was, but man that guy has heart. And man does he ever step up in big situations. I think there's plenty of evidence to show that Frattin just doesn't have enough drive.

Not sure what the negatives are on Frattin at the moment - he's doing everything he's supposed to. He hasn't translated that to the NHL yet - big deal. Doesn't mean he won't or can't because he hasn't -- all a player can ever ask for is one more opportunity.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I dont agree with the suspension at all. If anything should be 1 IMO.
Whatever it is a loss, but if Percy is healthy, than he can basically replace Loov. Replacing a top 4 on your team with another top 4 d man. If not, than Finn comes in.

Hendrick was saying he thinks that if Percy cannot go, it could be Valiev.

If so, not good for Finn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad