Prospects and Marlies Discussion - Gauthier to the Memorial Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Valiev probably wont see much game action but it should be good for him to be with the team. Marlies have a logjam of young d and with the fight for a playoff spot the vets will not be sat

They have games friday, saturday and sunday.

There's a chance that he draws in the line-up during one of those games.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why do we want to develop him into a one-dimensional winger when we can develop him into a two-way centre? He's better defensively and fights harder for loose pucks than what his draft reputation suggested. Some people made it sound like we were drafting a lazy floater who relied on talent, but from what I've seen, he's a hardworking guy.

Size? That's not an issue. He's projected to be the same size or bigger than Giroux, RNH, Datsyuk, Duchene, Pavelski, etc. Plenty of top notch centres around the league are his size.

Dineen has sung his praises, saying he's staying late at practice, at the gym, eating properly, etc. To me it looks like Nylander has both the mentality and the skill-set to become a solid two-way skilled centre in this league, which drives teams success much more than more one-dimensional wingers.

Not to mention centres are able to use their playmaking abilities more than wingers. They can distribute the puck to both wingers with ease, that's why the top guys for assists are typically centres (7 of the top 10 guys for assists right now are centres, same last season with only one winger and two D in the top 10).

I would put Nylander in the AHL as the Marlies #1 Centre next season, and make it a focus of the coaching/development staff to get Nylander to commit to learning all the defensive nuances that come with the position. He has the skating, hockey IQ, and work ethic to do it.

I wouldn't say that he's good defensively. He does have a great hockey IQ, but it's good to hear that he's transforming to the professional lifestyle in North America. I'm sure he's learned a lot from his father in Sweden on how to prepare for games and the length of a season.

Putting him as the #1 centre with the Marlies wouldn't be the worst thing. He still has a lot to learn, but I'm not concerned about his size. Just commit to the position you want him to play and leave him with a team for a full season. I don't want to see another Kadri fiasco where he's up and down.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I doubt Valiev gets much, if any, game time action .. Given the Marlies are chasing down a playoff spot and the depth of blue liners that are ahead of him (not to mention that Dineen seems to like his vets) I would wager Valiev will get some practice time in and stuff but no more than that

mikebel111*

Admirals lost so we remain 2 points out of a playoff spot and now we also have 3 games in hand

Admirals are in the middle of a free fall as well going 5-14-7 in their last 26 games.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
http://kylethereporter.com/2015/04/09/toronto-feeling-spoiled-with-goaltender-prospects/

Didn't see this posted and it's a great read about our goaltending situation with the Marlies.

If you don't follow Kyle on twitter or read his blog, you're missing out on great Marlies info.

“We’ve got three goalies that are all essentially the same age. To be in that position as an organization is great,” said Dubas.

“All three have a bright future in net, we’re spoiled there.”

“All three have been exceptional,” said Dubas.

He also mentions that Sparks, even though in the ECHL, has been great and they essentially value him just as much. The only reason he's there is because of injuries in the first part of the season and also Bibeau and Gibson playing great.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I figured they have Sparks in the ECHL to get him more playing time then the AHL.

I know Dubas has said they want to use the ECHL much more to develop players.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Nice to hear Dubas' optimism regarding the goalies.

The Marlies have 6 games left:

1. Rochester
2. Rochester
3. Iowa

These next three games will be the easiest of the six. Can really control their own fate with at least 4 or 5 points here.

The next three games are crucial and will be against more difficult opposition.

4. Milwaukee
5. Rockford
6. Chicago

The Marlies are battling two of these teams- Milwaukee and Chicago- for the last one or two playoff spots. Rockford also has a great record.

I predict the Marlies will get in. Hamilton is the other team to keep an eye on, as it is essentially Chicago, Milwaukee, Toronto and Hamilton battling it out for two spots.

mikebel111*

Nice to hear Dubas' optimism regarding the goalies.

The Marlies have 6 games left:

1. Rochester
2. Rochester
3. Iowa

These next three games will be the easiest of the six. Can really control their own fate with at least 4 or 5 points here.

The next three games are crucial and will be against more difficult opposition.

4. Milwaukee
5. Rockford
6. Chicago

The Marlies are battling two of these teams- Milwaukee and Chicago- for the last one or two playoff spots. Rockford also has a great record.

I predict the Marlies will get in. Hamilton is the other team to keep an eye on, as it is essentially Chicago, Milwaukee, Toronto and Hamilton battling it out for two spots.

Milwaukee has been in a tail spin lately. 3 games are easy or easily winnable
I dont think Hamilton makes it. Marlies have a big chance with 3 games in hand as well
I agree that I think we make it

mikebel111*

Probably have a more detailed analysis on points likely needed after I get to school

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah, it seems Dubas wants to use the ECHL as a AA in baseball.

It's an avenue that most teams don't use, and if he can find a way to make it beneficial, than go for it.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Then Dubas may need to hire 3 head coaches with similar styles - for the Leafs, Marlies, and Solar Bears in order to get all levels of prospects understanding the system being employed by the parent club.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Then Dubas may need to hire 3 head coaches with similar styles - for the Leafs, Marlies, and Solar Bears in order to get all levels of prospects understanding the system being employed by the parent club.

Leafs have no control over the Solar Bears. They're just an affiliate.

The way the Leafs own and control the Marlies isn't even a common thing between NHL and AHL teams. They often have their own ownership and management groups.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

The way the Leafs own and control the Marlies isn't even a common thing between NHL and AHL teams. They often have their own ownership and management groups.

Don't most NHL teams have AHL affiliates though? What does that have to do with the way they run their teams?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Don't most NHL teams have AHL affiliates though? What does that have to do with the way they run their teams?

Yes but most of the time the AHL team has their own ownership who hires their management, coaches, etc, and they just have an agreement with an NHL team to play their prospects on their team.

The Leafs actually own the Marlies, and run the whole thing themselves. That's why they get to make those decisions for the Marlies, but not the Solar Bears.

mikebel111*

So a little analysis on post season chances focused on Marlies, Hamilton, Milwaukee

Remaining schedule for Marlies
2 against Rochester
1 against Iowa
1 against Milwaukee
1 against Rockford
1 against Chicago

Combined record
161-155-25-12
Winning %: 45.6

Remaining schedule for Hamilton

2 against Texas
1 against Oklahoma City
2 against Lake Erie

Combined record
105-73-26-8
Winning %: 49.5

Remaining schedule for Milwaukee

2 against Chicago
1 against Toronto

Combined record
71-53-15-1

Winning %: 50.7

We have the easiest schedule, and Milwaukee has toughest though Hamilton also has a tough one as well as we near the end of the season

Our magic number is at 10
Milwaukee magic number is 11
Hamilton magic number 14

The way I see it, I dont think we should miss the playoffs now. Pretty easy schedule in the rest of the season
Go Marlies Go!

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yes but most of the time the AHL team has their own ownership who hires their management, coaches, etc, and they just have an agreement with an NHL team to play their prospects on their team.

The Leafs actually own the Marlies, and run the whole thing themselves. That's why they get to make those decisions for the Marlies, but not the Solar Bears.

So is Toronto one of the few franchises that owns their AHL team?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
So is Toronto one of the few franchises that owns their AHL team?

I'm under the impression that these days, most teams do own their AHL team. Or at least more than 50%. For example, pretty sure every team in the new Western Expansion is owned by their parent club, though I could be wrong. The problem is teams relocate and/or change ownership often so it is hard to keep up.

The Chicago Wolves are an example of a team that is independently owned and it seems it always will be. They have had a lot of affiliation changes due to the fact they try to win at all costs without putting much thought into prospect development.

xeroy

Mar 31, 2015
Brampton
I like how Dubas is going with a 3 tier approach.
We should reward and promote players and staff that work hard and do a good job in each tier. Something like the best players for each position get promoted (signed) each year to the AHL. The best prospects each year in the AHL get promoted to NHL. Thus creating an environment of hard-work and being rewarded for hard-work.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014

Whats to stop us from buying an ECHL team. I heard on the radio this morning that the average price for an OHL team is $5m. An ECHL team cant be anything more than that.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I have high hopes for Valiev. He's had a great year this year and was a huge reason for Russia making the finals of the WJC. Definitely has top 4 potential. Can't wait to see him play with the Marlies next season. We have so much young D depth most with top 4 potential.

The outlier for the Leafs is how to develop Nylander. They're probably going to go the Kadri route and play him at Centre next season after starting him on the wing. If he plays well at C, he'll probably be developed as one, but if he doesn't produce as much, he'll probably be back on the wing. Honestly, I see him as a Right handed version of Patrick Kane. The way he enters the zone, his wrist shot, his stick handling, his skating. It screams Patrick Kane. But then again, Patty Kane also has many Centre qualities given his abilities, but he developed as a winger. Just depends on organizational needs I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad