Prospect Info: Prospect Tournament

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
That's really deep down the middle, which happens to exclude Jankowski and Arnold. The wing is pretty deadly too considering Klimchuck, Agostino and Gaudreau aren't in that line-up

Aug 3, 2010
Truly intrigued to see how Kanzig performs on a top pairing with Wotherspoon - one can only hope the second coming of Chara has arrived in the Flaming C.

Trae

Calgary
Ok, Then this is the line-up:

Elson - Monahan - Poirier
Baertschi - Knight - Gordon
Ferland - Granlund - Hanowski
Jooris - Reinhart - Taranto

Kanzig - Wotherspoon
Culkin - Ramage
Sieloff - Kulak

Brossoit
Spelling fixed (not from you, but original poster), but yeah, that's the lineup, confirmed on the Flames website.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I was going to bet all my vCash on the Flames prospects tonight, but its not an open betting event :(

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Obviously there will be trades, free agents, more draft picks, etc. in the future but I thought it would be fun to do a fantasy roster up to see what it could look like 7 years from now based on our prospects/young players. I attempted a realistic roster in that I wouldn't put offensive prospects like Gaudreau or Granlund on the 4th line. I also accounted for some busts although I don't necessarily think a particular player will bust. So here goes:

Gillies, Brossoit

Brodie/Sieloff
Kulak/Wotherspoon
Kanzig/Roy
Culkin

Baertschi/Monahan/Poirier
Klimchuk/Reinhart/Gaudreau
Agostino/Granlund/Arnold
Ferland/Knight/Deblouw
Harrison/Horak

yes no Jankowski, Backlund or Hanowski.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Markus Granlund> Mikael Granlund :sarcasm:

As a Granlund (Mikael) fan I have to admit that if you post that a couple of years from now, you can lose that sarcasm icon. Markus' strengths seem to suit NHL better. Not saying Mikael won't become a good second line center, but Markus still has a chance of becoming an elite goal scorer.

Aug 3, 2010
As a Granlund (Mikael) fan I have to admit that if you post that a couple of years from now, you can lose that sarcasm icon. Markus' strengths seem to suit NHL better. Not saying Mikael won't become a good second line center, but Markus still has a chance of becoming an elite goal scorer.
Why do you say this?

Or rather, please educate us on Mikael's game as we know what Markus' is like.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Quick clarification: I noticed that the AHL coaches were working both benches last night's Canucks/Flames game. I thought organizations had development coaches dedicated to working these types of tournaments and supervising the development of prospects prior to their signing and joining the organization.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Or John Ramage..

All three of our "big hitters" are on separate pairings. Oiler Forwards better keep their heads up tonight.

What the flying **** is the commentator talking about in the second one? First off, point of contact is not the head, secondly, there isn't an elbow that I can see.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Why do you say this?

Or rather, please educate us on Mikael's game as we know what Markus' is like.

Mikael's biggest strength is his playmaking, especially the way he slows the game down, and lures defensemen closer before dishing excellent passes to his team mates. His problem has been timing on the smaller ice. In AHL he still has time and space on power play, but 5 on 5 game even in AHL was a new kind of challenge for him last season and problems in his 5 on 5 game were the reason he was sent back to AHL during the season.

Markus is kind of the opposite on Mikael. He either passes instantly, or decides to try to push through himself to get to a scoring position. It hinders his playmaking ability somewhat, but it also helps him with the transition to smaller ice game. Markus also has a physical aspect to his game Mikael is lacking. That kind of difference in the state of mind when battling for the puck in corners seems to help Markus in comparison to his brother, as Mikael's best asset in board game is his superior stick work so he will manage if he is in puck possession but is in trouble without the puck.

I'd say Markus also will end up being the better skater of the two, but again, Mikael will be able to handle the puck in full speed better than Markus, I'd think. But all in all, I think Markus already has a similar bust potential as Mikael, Markus really doesn't have to learn all that much to be effective as a goal scoring winger, Mikael has still some adjusting to do before he can be considered NHL calibre center. Hopefully he has been able to do it already this off season, but I wouldn't count on it.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I keep seeing the comments that Calgary is icing more of their talent this year than other orgs and I still don't see it. No one else is missing 3 of their top 5 prospects.
Unless they mean NHL talent as we're bringing 2 maybe 3 guys expected to make the NHL this season while a few teams only have 1 roster spot that is really up for grabs.

It's too bad we wont get to see our guys against the Jets as that would probably of provided the best game of this tournament; and as hard as it is to gauge players from 3 pre-season games I think our prospects are doing as well as we've expected now that (I assume a lot of people would agree) we have built up a top 6 prospect pool in the league. I've made a quick list of who is missing and first round picks brought below if it's of any interest to people though pretty late at this point.

1. Sven Baertschi - 13
2. Sean Monahan - 6
3. Johnny Gaudreau
4. Mark Jankowski
5. Jon Gillies

6. Corban Knight
7. Tyler Wotherspoon
8. Max Reinhart
9. Emile Poirier - 22
10. Morgan Klimchuk

Jets

1. Jacob Trouba - 9
2. Mark Scheifele - 7
3. Josh Morrissey - 13
4. Nicolas Petan
5. Adam Lowry
6. Jimmy Lodge
7. Zach Redmond
8. Jan Kostalek
9. Connor Helleybuyck
10. Scott Kosmachuk

Oilers

1. Oscar Klefbom - 19
2. Darnell Nurse - 7
3. Martin Marincin
4. Martin Gernat
5. David Musil
6. Anton Slepyshev
7. Toni Rajala
8. Marc-Olivier Roy
9. Jujhar Khaira
10. Bogdan Yakimov

Sharks

1. Hertl - 17
2. Mueller -18
3. Nieto
4. Abelthauser
Tennyson
Sateri
Hamilton

Tierny
Boudreau
O'Regan

Canucks

1 Bo Horvat - 9
2 Hunter Shinkaruk - 24
3 Frank Corrado
4 Nicklas Jensen - 29
5 Brendan Gaunce - 26
6 Jordan Schroeder
7 Eddie Lack

8 Joacim Eriksson
9 Alexandre Mallet
10 Ben Hutton

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What the flying **** is the commentator talking about in the second one? First off, point of contact is not the head, secondly, there isn't an elbow that I can see.

If you listen really closely (;)) in the two videos, you'll notice that in the first one, the commentator is a Wisconsin guy, and in the second one he's working for MSU. That was the primary difference between the hits.

It seems that in the States, the people really crave homerism from their commentators. I think it's a cultural thing. They don't even try to hide their bias like they do here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad