Prospect Info: Prospect Tournament

TylerSVT*

I don't put a whole lot of stock into the tournament, too short of a sample size to see a whole lot, but I'm super pumped just to watch hockey. ****in giver!

This, i really enjoy watching the streaming games.

Gary83*

Good little chuckle hearing from Oilers fans how their big, bad tough D will be dropping everyone like flies on Calgary. Here's to hoping Ferland or Kanzig drop the gloves!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think with Mike Pielon on Jankowski's wing we could see them both put up close to Gretzky numbers.

I heard that Matt was hit by a car at a construction site though, and will be sitting the tourney out.

:biglaugh: Where were his brother's?

HLF, I believe you forgot Kulak. Our defence is not high profile by any stretch, but I feel its very underrated. If we had one high profile defensive prospect, we would be right up there.

I think Wotherspoon, Seiloff, Kulak, Culkin, and Roy all have top 4 upside.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Wotherspoon and Seiloff are good underrated prospects and I will be interested to see how they do during this tournament. I definitely see them as future #3, 4 Flames d-man.

bloggerfanthe*

Would be cool to meet some of you (especially Stewie) if you're heading to the tournament.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I think you underestimate how dominant Sven will be at this tournament.

I think the dcorps looks decent, more disappointed in the goalies but that's possibly because I'm so high on Gillies.

But I'd love to hear you in depth opinion on who is going to win/be the top teams.

Actually, now that I look at each team's roster, I'd say Calgary has a decent shot. Most of the other teams are missing far more key players than we are. But I'm putting my money on San Jose.

Calgary's offense is far and away the best at the tournament - I'm guessing we'll probably see a top line of Baertschi, Monahan and Poirier that will dominate opposition. Our goaltending situation is about level with everyone else (apart from Winnipeg, since Comrie will probably start for them). But I'd say our defense is the worst in the group - no elite defenders and no offensive support from the blueline outside of maybe Roy, and that is a big question mark. Mostly we just have tough guys.

By comparison, San Jose has the second-best offense in the group behind us, anchored by guys like Hertl if he comes over for the tournament, and Tierney. Their defense is also probably the second-best behind Edmonton's. Only their goaltending is average. Although San Jose hasn't released a tournament roster, and things could change, they have such strong depth at forward and defense that it's hard to picture them being hurt at all by absences. I'd say San Jose is almost certainly going to win it, with Calgary in second.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Actually, now that I look at each team's roster, I'd say Calgary has a decent shot. Most of the other teams are missing far more key players than we are. But I'm putting my money on San Jose.

Calgary's offense is far and away the best at the tournament - I'm guessing we'll probably see a top line of Baertschi, Monahan and Poirier that will dominate opposition. Our goaltending situation is about level with everyone else (apart from Winnipeg, since Comrie will probably start for them). But I'd say our defense is the worst in the group - no elite defenders and no offensive support from the blueline outside of maybe Roy, and that is a big question mark. Mostly we just have tough guys.

By comparison, San Jose has the second-best offense in the group behind us, anchored by guys like Hertl if he comes over for the tournament, and Tierney. Their defense is also probably the second-best behind Edmonton's. Only their goaltending is average. Although San Jose hasn't released a tournament roster, and things could change, they have such strong depth at forward and defense that it's hard to picture them being hurt at all by absences. I'd say San Jose is almost certainly going to win it, with Calgary in second.

Yikes..you are certainly free to voice your opinion but I could honestly not disagree more with your assesment. :laugh:

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Yikes..you are certainly free to voice your opinion but I could honestly not disagree more with your assesment. :laugh:

Go on, then. I'm not trying to be edgy or anything, I just honestly think that's how it'll shake out from my perspective, but I'm interested in what others are thinking about the tournament.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Go on, then. I'm not trying to be edgy or anything, I just honestly think that's how it'll shake out from my perspective, but I'm interested in what others are thinking about the tournament.

I already listed my team by team rankings earlier and from the sounds of things they couldn't be further away from how you view things. That is all I was saying. ;)
I just found it surprising how far apart our opinions were on this particular matter.

Just so you know San Jose has actually put out the tournament roster and from what I see there is very little depth or high end talent in comparison to some of the other teams.

http://library.constantcontact.com/...69-135/Penticton+Rookie+Tournament+Roster.pdf

With that said they could absolutely have a good showing at the tournament because it is such a small event and anything can really happen, but I am far from impressed with what they currently have in their pool.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I already listed my team by team rankings earlier and from the sounds of things they couldn't be further away from how you view things. That is all I was saying. ;)
I just found it surprising how far apart our opinions were on this particular matter.

Just so you know San Jose has actually put out the tournament roster and from what I see there is very little depth or high end talent in comparison to some of the other teams.

http://library.constantcontact.com/...69-135/Penticton+Rookie+Tournament+Roster.pdf

With that said they could absolutely have a good showing at the tournament because it is such a small event and anything can really happen, but I am far from impressed with what they currently have in their pool.

Wow, you're right, this is a terrible roster! Seeing this definitely changes my opinion, I just hadn't been able to find it when I was looking at the thread. No wonder they wouldn't want to put this on the frontpage of their website :laugh:

In light of this, I'd say Calgary's going to win the tournament by a country mile.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Wow, you're right, this is a terrible roster! Seeing this definitely changes my opinion, I just hadn't been able to find it when I was looking at the thread. No wonder they wouldn't want to put this on the frontpage of their website :laugh:

In light of this, I'd say Calgary's going to win the tournament by a country mile.

haha, now that we agreed watch them blowout every team in the tournament :handclap:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

What do you have against Calgary's defence? Wotherspoon and Sieloff both played shutdown roles at a high level for the age group already. As far as offence from the back end, Kulak was 3rd on his team in scoring last season (13 points back of the point leader), and Culkin is a decent puck mover. Add Roy to that, and the Flames prospects should be fine from their blueline.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What do you have against Calgary's defence? Wotherspoon and Sieloff both played shutdown roles at a high level for the age group already. As far as offence from the back end, Kulak was 3rd on his team in scoring last season (13 points back of the point leader), and Culkin is a decent puck mover. Add Roy to that, and the Flames prospects should be fine from their blueline.

Not to mention Wotherspoon is at least a good passer.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

I think as far as guys in a shutdown role go, we're fine. Wotherspoon and Sieloff are both good defenders. Kulak I didn't know about, but he's not exactly lighting things up, he just has an offensive upside. Look at the numbers Brodie put up, for example - lots of offense, though no-one would call him a puck-mover. Culkin I don't even see making the team besides as a number seven. Roy is okay, but there's a reason he fell to the fifth round. I just don't see much honest-to-god offense out of the group. Additionally, though Wotherspoon and Sieloff are good defenders, they're not a fantastic shutdown pair like you would want - simply adequate. This contrasts with a team like Edmonton that really has it all, and Winnipeg and Vancouver both have average invitees. We just don't have a good defensive prospect core, there's no way around that, and everyone should acknowledge it. I think it'll become obvious at this tournament.

San Jose's defensive roster is atrocious, though, if it makes a difference.

Gary83*

I think as far as guys in a shutdown role go, we're fine. Wotherspoon and Sieloff are both good defenders. Kulak I didn't know about, but he's not exactly lighting things up, he just has an offensive upside. Look at the numbers Brodie put up, for example - lots of offense, though no-one would call him a puck-mover. Culkin I don't even see making the team besides as a number seven. Roy is okay, but there's a reason he fell to the fifth round. I just don't see much honest-to-god offense out of the group. Additionally, though Wotherspoon and Sieloff are good defenders, they're not a fantastic shutdown pair like you would want - simply adequate. This contrasts with a team like Edmonton that really has it all, and Winnipeg and Vancouver both have average invitees. We just don't have a good defensive prospect core, there's no way around that, and everyone should acknowledge it. I think it'll become obvious at this tournament.

San Jose's defensive roster is atrocious, though, if it makes a difference.

Make up your mind man, they're either good or bad.

You don't think Kulak's growth was decent as an offensive dman? He almost doubled his point total from last year, on an atrocious team at that. The same with Culkin, not sure why he is so underrated around here, but he also had a pretty solid season, nice jump from his draft season to post draft.

You can argue all you want, but Culkin, Kulak, Wotherspoon all have a very good transition game, you don't need six-seven good puck movers, you need the steady guys like Sieloff and Ramage aswell.

Lastly, what team is missing more key players then us? Gaudreau, Jankowski, Agostino, that's essentially another top six line, Gillies, who would probably be starting.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Lastly, what team is missing more key players then us? Gaudreau, Jankowski, Agostino, that's essentially another top six line, Gillies, who would probably be starting.

I'm very optimistic about the future when you consider those college prospects.

cooksond

Apr 11, 2006

Driving out with my father-in-law from Regina to catch a couple games. Really looking forward to seeing some of our prospects live (other than Klimchuk -who I was really glad to see us pick up). Can't wait to see our guys run over the Canucks. As for San Jose's roster, the only guys I recognize are Scheidl and Schwartz and only because Schwartz is from here and Scheidl played here. Could be an ugly couple of games for them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We just don't have a good defensive prospect core, there's no way around that, and everyone should acknowledge it. I think it'll become obvious at this tournament.

No we actually do. Our guys are just extremely underrated. Kulak and Culkin play fairly similar styles, they are both steady in their own and are both more than competent moving the puck up the ice and play a smart game. We don't have any high profile, sexy defensive prospects, but that doesn't mean our guys cannot get the job done. I really think after this season that we will see our guys continue to grow and develop, then our depth in that area is going to look much, much better. I also think Kulak, Culkin, and Roy's games will see significant jumps in production.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Does anyone know why Berra isn't going? Is it an age thing? Or would he just prefer to prepare with the Flames coaching staff? (I assume they are taking the time to prepare him for the small ice)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Does anyone know why Berra isn't going? Is it an age thing? Or would he just prefer to prepare with the Flames coaching staff? (I assume they are taking the time to prepare him for the small ice)

I would say it's probably an age thing. I think it's probably something they all agree on as far as rules.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Make up your mind man, they're either good or bad.

You don't think Kulak's growth was decent as an offensive dman? He almost doubled his point total from last year, on an atrocious team at that. The same with Culkin, not sure why he is so underrated around here, but he also had a pretty solid season, nice jump from his draft season to post draft.

You can argue all you want, but Culkin, Kulak, Wotherspoon all have a very good transition game, you don't need six-seven good puck movers, you need the steady guys like Sieloff and Ramage aswell.

I think Kulak is definitely underrated by most people; Culkin, however, seemed to rely the a huge extent on Grigorenko to get points. I know dmen require good forwards to get points for the most part, but his dependency was extensive last season.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
I think Kulak is definitely underrated by most people; Culkin, however, seemed to rely the a huge extent on Grigorenko to get points. I know dmen require good forwards to get points for the most part, but his dependency was extensive last season.

I think thats what people are missing here. Culkin is a decent puck mover. I think he is similar to Wotherspoon in that respect. He plays more of a defensive game, but can skate well.

Kulak on the other hand is very offensively oriented. Reminds me a ton of Brodie actually. Brodie has the skating advantage, but Kulak has the shot imo. Poor defensive game in Jr aswell, however Brodie played on the Barrie Colts(In his final season), with Alex Pietrangelo. Kulak played on one of the worst teams in the CHL.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I think thats what people are missing here. Culkin is a decent puck mover. I think he is similar to Wotherspoon in that respect. He plays more of a defensive game, but can skate well.

Kulak on the other hand is very offensively oriented. Reminds me a ton of Brodie actually. Brodie has the skating advantage, but Kulak has the shot imo. Poor defensive game in Jr aswell, however Brodie played on the Barrie Colts(In his final season), with Alex Pietrangelo. Kulak played on one of the worst teams in the CHL.

this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad