Prospect Info: Prospect Tournament

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680536

CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today the roster for the 2013 Young Stars Classic in Penticton, BC. This will be the third time the Flames have participated in the Young Stars Classic. The round-robin tournament will feature prospects from the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, San Jose Sharks and Winnipeg Jets from September 5 - 9th.

CALGARY FLAMES YOUNG STARS CLASSIC ROSTER

GOALTENDERS

Laurent Brossoit

Joni Ortio

DEFENCEMEN

Ryan Culkin

Zach Davies

Keegan Kanzig

Brett Kulak

John Ramage

Eric Roy

Patrick Sieloff

Tyler Wotherspoon

FORWARDS

Sven Baertschi

Turner Elson

Michael Ferland

Coda Gordon

Markus Granlund

Ben Hanowski

Ryan Howse

Josh Jooris

Morgan Klimchuk

Corban Knight

Sean Monahan

Linden Penner

Emile Poirier

Max Reinhart

Young Stars Classic Tournament Schedule

Game 1: Edmonton vs Calgary - Sept. 5 at 4:00 PM PST

Game 2: Vancouver vs San Jose - Sept. 5 at 7:30 PM PST

Game 3: Winnipeg vs San Jose - Sept. 6 at 4:00 PM PST

Game 4: Vancouver vs Calgary - Sept. 6 at 7:30 PM PST

Game 5: Alumni Game - Sept. 7 at 5:00 PM PST

Game 6: Edmonton vs Winnipeg - Sept. 7 at 7:30 PM PST

Game 7: Vancouver vs Edmonton - Sept. 8 at 2:00 PM PST

Game 8: San Jose vs Calgary - Sept. 8 at 5:30 PM PST

Game 9: Winnipeg vs Vancouver - Sept. 9 at 12:00 PM PST

All Flames games will be broadcast live on CalgaryFlames.com.

Tournament ticket packages, which include a ticket to eight tournament games, are $70 plus applicable fees. Tickets are available online at www.valleyfirsttix.com, by phone at 1-877-763-2849, or in person at the Valley First Box Office at the South Okanagan Events Centre or at Penticton & Wine Country Visitor Centre.

I've never heard of Zach Davies before. Anybody have anything on him beyond his stats on HockeyDB? Also surprised he's there over several other defensive prospects already signed to deals like Breen/Martin etc. Is it an age thing?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
We need to win that Tournament. Edmonton and Winny will be the toughest because they have pretty good prospects in the system, whereas Vancouver and San Jose are just OK.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We need to win that Tournament. Edmonton and Winny will be the toughest because they have pretty good prospects in the system, whereas Vancouver and San Jose are just OK.

Winnipeg has some great high profile prospects but the dropoff is incredibly sharp. Edmonton the only high prospect they have eligible is Nurse I believe. Lots of depth guys though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Winnipeg has some great high profile prospects but the dropoff is incredibly sharp. Edmonton the only high prospect they have eligible is Nurse I believe. Lots of depth guys though.

Klefbom is considered a top prospect by some. Beyond that, all of their prospects are already in the NHL.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well whatever. I want to see our cupboards legitimately better than everyone else's!

We better win this tourney.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Apparently, we are inviting all the boys in the Pielons family, Mark is a goalie, Matt is a dman, Mike is a forward.

The Hasek comparisons for Mark are real! While Matt has drawn Coffee comparisons and Mikes play has been described as shades of a young Lemieux.

The only player who I think may have brighter career than these 3 is Jankowski, but only because he will play every position.

Seriously, we should be the favourites to win, to bad our college kids won't be suiting up.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Apparently, we are inviting all the boys in the Pielons family, Mark is a goalie, Matt is a dman, Mike is a forward.

The Hasek comparisons for Mark are real! While Matt has drawn Coffee comparisons and Mikes play has been described as shades of a young Lemieux.

The only player who I think may have brighter career than these 3 is Jankowski, but only because he will play every position.

Seriously, we should be the favourites to win, to bad our college kids won't be suiting up.

What?

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA

I have no idea who any of those people are and I can't even find them on google.

Am I being trolled? :dunno:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

You're killing me right now :laugh:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This is more fun to watch than regular camp because the prospects go against guys their own level, rather than NHL players. Its against NHL drafted prospects, and its a showcase of cupboards.

This year the Flames will finally have a decent pool!

bloggerfanthe*

Absolutely stoked for this tournament. Heading to Penticton to take in all of the action. Anyone else going?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We're not even going to come close to winning this. Our defensive core is just not all there, and missing Gaudreau and Agostino is going to suck.

I disagree. Will it be the best d core? No. But it's still better than its been in the past decade, and the only team I possibly like better is Edmonton because of Nurse and Klefbom.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I disagree. Will it be the best d core? No. But it's still better than its been in the past decade, and the only team I possibly like better is Edmonton because of Nurse and Klefbom.

I'm almost feverish with desire for a fight between Kanzig and Nurse. I don't think I've ever disliked a prospect more than Nurse.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
We're not even going to come close to winning this. Our defensive core is just not all there, and missing Gaudreau and Agostino is going to suck.

I would rank them as following

Forwards
1. Calgary (Baertschi, Monahan, Klimchuk, Poirier, Knight, Granlund, Reinhart)
2. Vancouver (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Gaunce)
3. Winnipeg (Scheifele, Petan, Lowry, Lodge, Lipon)
4. San Jose (Hertl, Nieto, Boudreau, Tierney, Hayes)
5. Edmonton (Roy, Khaira, Houck, Chase)

Defense
1. Edmonton ( Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil)
2. Winnipeg (Trouba, Morrissey, Kichton, Kostalek, Sol)
3. Calgary (Wotherspoon, Sieloff, Kanzig, Culkin, Roy, Ramage)
4. San Jose (Mueller, Abeltshauser, DeMelo, Bigos)
5. Vancouver (Corrado, Subban, Tommernes, Cederholm)

Goaltending
1. Vancouver (Eriksson, Lack, Corbeill)
2. Calgary (Brossoit, Ortio)
3. Winnipeg (Comrie, Olkinuora)
4. Edmonton (Bunz, Rimmer, Palazzese)
5. San Jose (Anderson, Grosenick)

In my estimation we have the most talented roster at the tournament even without the additions of Jankowski, Gaudreau, Gillies, Agostino and Arnold. Although it is only three games, so it really won't tell us a whole lot about these organizations prospect pools.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I think with Mike Pielon on Jankowski's wing we could see them both put up close to Gretzky numbers.

I heard that Matt was hit by a car at a construction site though, and will be sitting the tourney out.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I don't put a whole lot of stock into the tournament, too short of a sample size to see a whole lot, but I'm super pumped just to watch hockey. ****in giver!

Gary83*

I think you underestimate how dominant Sven will be at this tournament.

I think the dcorps looks decent, more disappointed in the goalies but that's possibly because I'm so high on Gillies.

But I'd love to hear you in depth opinion on who is going to win/be the top teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad