Series Talk: Prospect Showcase, Sept 15th-17th (Wild YouTube)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's a 5-1 game. I can't say any of the d-men have been good.
There are goalies, and forwards, who also are hugely important to team defense. Thinking that defenseman alone are responsible for defense is thinking from 60 years ago.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I hope the coaches tell these kids they have to get to the front of the net. Made it real easy for the goalie, no tips , no screens, no rebound shots. That’s how goals get scored.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Who's doing the things so far

Wabit

May 23, 2016
There are goalies, and forwards, who also are hugely important to team defense. Thinking that defenseman alone are responsible for defense is thinking from 60 years ago.

Except that so many goals came from the net front area, and STL was just camping out there with ease all game.

All the D-men did was take point shots and none of them were very good shots at that. Get the puck, shoot the puck instead of getting the puck to the FWDs to make plays closer to the net.

Some shots from the point are needed, for sure, but take a shot and an easy save for a goalie isn't doing anything other than getting a FO and a line change.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Blues fan coming in peace. I wasn’t really focusing on wild prospect, but thought kumpaleinen was really noticeable for guy who just turned 18 against team of mostly older guys.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Blues fan coming in peace. I wasn’t really focusing on wild prospect, but thought kumpaleinen was really noticeable for guy who just turned 18 against team of mostly older guys.

He's the most intriguing Wild prospect to me. He looked very raw last night, but I'm guessing that is because everything is new to him.

Reactions: Blueston

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Late to the party and didn't see every shift, so maybe missed some bad ones.

Thought Spacek looked really good. Good stick, tough on body, and had two or three shots on goal, one of which was created by his defensive play, then it was nice to see him able to one-time the pass that jammed him in stride.

Thought Haight and Heidt showed offensive IQ and some good hands - just need to get some strength. As stated above, pleasantly surprised by Kumpaleinen. Good in the O zone but will definitely need a stride or two more.

Thought Lambos improved over the game - like his mobility. Thought Hunt was decent too, although I expected more since he has been pegged as first call up. Disappointed in ROR. He is either taking a couple years to grow into that body but just looks late to the play, questionable hockey sense.

Also surprised with Cajkovic - wasn't expecting much since he was an ECHLer last year but he stood out in a good way.

Wallstedt made some good saves but also let in one or two that I thought he should've had.

Overall, first game of a bunch of kids thrown together. St. Louis had, if the announcers were correct, an older, more experienced team.

Last thing - they have to show Haight how to hold on if he gets in a fight. Kudos for trying but he took a good one - don't need a small skilled guy getting concussion issues...

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
As bad as the team defense was, I really liked Spacek's game. Every time I've seen him, he's struck me as a player who has what it takes. He has no single standout skill, but a bunch of very good ones, and he plays hard in both ends.

I also liked Lambos. He stood out to me in a good way compared to most of the other defensemen. His shots didn't end up being dangerous, but he got them through traffic. All it'll take is a good garbage goal guy in front to turn some of those into goals or assists over the course of a season. I, unfortunately, didn't pay as much attention to his defensive zone play, so I can't speak on that.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
As bad as the team defense was, I really liked Spacek's game. Every time I've seen him, he's struck me as a player who has what it takes. He has no single standout skill, but a bunch of very good ones, and he plays hard in both ends.
Same here. I haven’t watched the prospect games, but every other time has left me thinking he will be a good player.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think that new kid CHI just drafted is better than any of the FWDs MN had on the ice last night.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Lambos and Spacek miscommunication and a quick 3 on 2 with players chasing leads to a 1 shot, 1 goal deficit.

Walker is real fast.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Walker scores on a nice feed from Hunt. He’s on a line with Heidt and Haight.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Oh gawd, just turned the game on and Walz is talking. This might be a short watch for me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Novak has been a nice surprise. Just to be out that and competing as well as he has is an accomplishment after cancer treatments last year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
3-1 already. Wild are absolutely awful defensively, and the goalie isn’t exactly standing on his head

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
ORourke is moving himself down the call up list.

Haight with a nice defensive steal and breakaway attempt on the PK but just like the big club, no one can score those.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
They could reallly use a guy like Milne.Forwards are flying the zone and being very careless with the puck.

Reactions: BagHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad