Denmark: Prospect Nikolaj Ehlers

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Like I said, it is a dream and I am quite sure that he can benefit enough in the qmjhl another year. Not so sure after that though. After the season 2014/2015 he will still be to young to enter AHL.

Nikolaj strikes me as a guy with tremendous work ethic. I'm sure he'll get great counselling from his NHL on how to gain weight and get stronger over the summer. He's already pretty strong for his size, so he's probably already experienced and disciplined in the weight room, but his problem is probably that he hasn't learned to how to eat enough to gain weight. I don't blame him, he probably burns a lot of calories on a daily basis, and at a certain point it's just hard to eat more, if you are also going to be eating well, i.e. not candy and fast food all the time. I agree that one more year in the Q, and no more, would be ideal. Hopefully, in a year and a half he's 10 kg heavier and ready to play NHL hockey.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Nikolaj strikes me as a guy with tremendous work ethic. I'm sure he'll get great counselling from his NHL on how to gain weight and get stronger over the summer. He's already pretty strong for his size, so he's probably already experienced and disciplined in the weight room, but his problem is probably that he hasn't learned to how to eat enough to gain weight. I don't blame him, he probably burns a lot of calories on a daily basis, and at a certain point it's just hard to eat more, if you are also going to be eating well, i.e. not candy and fast food all the time. I agree that one more year in the Q, and no more, would be ideal. Hopefully, in a year and a half he's 10 kg heavier and ready to play NHL hockey.

The trick to get bulk is eating everything you can and then go to sleep afterwards. That will increase body fat levels. That's how sumo wrestlers do it (and probably also Roman Gladiators) and don't underestimate how hard these guys train. Lots of carbohydrates that is stored as fat while sleeping and protein that adds muscle.
Not that Ehlers needs a sumo size, but some increase in body fat actually provides extra padding for the muscles and extra weight for tackles. The trick is avoid losing mobility and speed while building it. But male physiology makes us store extra body fat on the stomach to avoid loss of arm and leg mobility so it is a adaption for hunting where success is ever uncertain.

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
The trick to get bulk is eating everything you can and then go to sleep afterwards. That will increase body fat levels. That's how sumo wrestlers do it (and probably also Roman Gladiators) and don't underestimate how hard these guys train. Lots of carbohydrates that is stored as fat while sleeping and protein that adds muscle.
Not that Ehlers needs a sumo size, but some increase in body fat actually provides extra padding for the muscles and extra weight for tackles. The trick is avoid losing mobility and speed while building it. But male physiology makes us store extra body fat on the stomach to avoid loss of arm and leg mobility so it is a adaption for hunting where success is ever uncertain.

Well, I have that area down. Now I only need to get good at hockey and im ready for the NHL!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well, I have that area down. Now I only need to get good at hockey and im ready for the NHL!

:laugh: well I don't even have the bulk!

Otherwise Nikolaj Ehlers and Halifax also have started great against Gatineau.

First match: 4-1 victory [Ehlers 2A]
Second match: 6-2 victory [Ehlers 2G 2A].

So after 6 matches in the playoff he is second best in QMJHL with 6G 10A (16P), only after Drouin with 6G 13A.

In WHL Portland is even more high scoring against Victoria and Bjørkstrand certainly fights to catch up Ehlers numbers.
First match: 8-2 victory [Bjørkstrand 2G 1A]
Second match: 6-3 victory [Bjørkstrand 2G 1A]

So after 6 matches Bjørkstrand is fourth in WHL with 8G 6A (14P, but overall leading scorer).

Also in WHL Mads Eller and Edmonton have shown awesome defense vs. Brandon
First match: 5-0 vicotry [Eller 1G]
Second match: 3-0 victory [Eller no points].

In 6 matches Eller has 1G 0A.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
:laugh: well I don't even have the bulk!

Otherwise Nikolaj Ehlers and Halifax also have started great against Gatineau.

First match: 4-1 victory [Ehlers 2A]
Second match: 6-2 victory [Ehlers 2G 2A].

So after 6 matches in the playoff he is second best in QMJHL with 6G 10A (16P), only after Drouin with 6G 13A.

In WHL Portland is even more high scoring against Victoria and Bjørkstrand certainly fights to catch up Ehlers numbers.
First match: 8-2 victory [Bjørkstrand 2G 1A]
Second match: 6-3 victory [Bjørkstrand 2G 1A]

So after 6 matches Bjørkstrand is fourth in WHL with 8G 6A (14P, but overall leading scorer).

Also in WHL Mads Eller and Edmonton have shown awesome defense vs. Brandon
First match: 5-0 vicotry [Eller 1G]
Second match: 3-0 victory [Eller no points].

In 6 matches Eller has 1G 0A.

We are really having a couple of real talents coming in the next few years. Ehlers seems to be impossible to contain.. He is ranked 7 on Craig Button's ranking, but i looked around a bit and he isn't ranked quite as high in other places so there might be a canadian bias.
But seems to be considered to be a lock as a 1st round pick and it would be great to have another danish 1st rounder.

His stats are insane. 49 goals and 55 assists in the regular season.

I don't think he is going to go straight into the NHL, he lacks some size for that, but he will hopefully light up the AHL next season. But will probably get sent to the juniors..
If anybody is interested, I found this recent tsn podcast where they talk about ehlers in the beginning: http://www.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#podcastid=28003&id=65

They also talk very little about denmark, mentioning bjorkstrand and that they think we will stay in the top pool in the juniors.

Oh, and I found this highlight from this season. Unreal, holy s.. he is FAST

Last edited:

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I don't think he is going to go straight into the NHL, he lacks some size for that, but he will hopefully light up the AHL next season. But will probably get sent to the juniors..
They also talk very little about denmark, mentioning bjorkstrand and that they think we will stay in the top pool in the juniors.

They will both be in the juniors next year unless they start up in NHL, but that will not happen for either.

You can start in AHL the year you turn 20, no exceptions made.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Bjrokstrand is a guy who I think can start stagnating a bit in juniors next year, he's already playing top line for Portland. But we'll see. Ehlers still have a lot of new challenges next year. Halifax will probably regress quite a bit as a team. They'll lose Drouin, Ashley, Andrews and Weegar, among others. Their topscoring D-man and 3 top six players. Ehlers will be the go to guy in all situations, he'll get the hardest matchups, and he'll be the centerpiece of attention from other teams defenders. After that he should be ready for the NHL.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
They will both be in the juniors next year unless they start up in NHL, but that will not happen for either.

You can start in AHL the year you turn 20, no exceptions made.

Didn't know that. Thanks. Will be better for him probably.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The Dane-train lost some steam.
Both Halifax and Portland lost their third games and both Ehlers and Bjørkstrand were without points. I think I saw someone mention it was his first game since 9'th of February Ehlers was without a point, so impressive streak.
But Edmonton won their third and Mads Eller had two assists.

Portland came back to win the 4'th and Bjørkstrand had 1 assist.
Halifax and Edmonton will play their 4'ths later tonight.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
The Dane-train lost some steam.
Both Halifax and Portland lost their third games and both Ehlers and Bjørkstrand were without points. I think I saw someone mention it was his first game since 9'th of February Ehlers was without a point, so impressive streak.
But Edmonton won their third and Mads Eller had two assists.

Portland came back to win the 4'th and Bjørkstrand had 1 assist.
Halifax and Edmonton will play their 4'ths later tonight.

How does it work when a player is send to the juniors after they are drafted..Are the affiliations with each team like in the AHL and some of the lower leagues?

Like, could he go back to halifax next year?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
How does it work when a player is send to the juniors after they are drafted..Are the affiliations with each team like in the AHL and some of the lower leagues?

Most likely yes...

Ehlers has to be 21 years og age as a Euro to be eligable for the AHL.

He would have to make his future NHL team straight out of camp, to avoid going back to jrs. And since that is highly unlikely, he will most like have another season in Halifax.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Halifax won the 4'th game against Gatineau with 4-2 and Ehlers had 1G 1A.

In QMJHL Drouin leads points with massive 8G 16A, but Ehlers is second with 7G 11A; both after 8 games.
So series 3-1 for Halifax.

In WHL Edmonton lost its first playoff match after 7 wins 2-5 to Brandon. Mads Eller had 1A.
Eller is 1G 3A in 8 games.
Edmonton leads series 3-1.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark

They're not affiliated with the NHL clubs. The player just remains with the club they were drafted from. Like the NHL clubs have drafted their pro rights, so does the junior clubs draft their junior rights. Junior clubs can - like the NHL ones - trade (the rights to) a player between each other. A prospect can get traded between junior teams without the NHL clubs approval.

So if the NHL drafting Ehlers decide to have him stay in the junior leagues... He'll stay with the club that has his junior rights. If they are not traded that would be Halifax.

The AHL clubs does not hold AHL-rights over the players they get from the NHL. And to protect the junior clubs there's this rule, that if a player is to leave the junior league before time it have to be for an NHL club.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
They're not affiliated with the NHL clubs. The player just remains with the club they were drafted from. Like the NHL clubs have drafted their pro rights, so does the junior clubs draft their junior rights. Junior clubs can - like the NHL ones - trade (the rights to) a player between each other. A prospect can get traded between junior teams without the NHL clubs approval.

So if the NHL drafting Ehlers decide to have him stay in the junior leagues... He'll stay with the club that has his junior rights. If they are not traded that would be Halifax.

The AHL clubs does not hold AHL-rights over the players they get from the NHL. And to protect the junior clubs there's this rule, that if a player is to leave the junior league before time it have to be for an NHL club.

Ah, interesting system. Just an extra general curiousity question, not that its related to Ehlers.
As I understand you guys, a player can't play in the AHL until a certain age, so that he to make the NHL roster not to play in the juniors again...Does he lose his junior right for good if he makes the roster? So if a player is drafted by an NHL team and makes the roster, but the club later decides that they made a mistake and that he isn't ready after all. Can they still send him to the juniors in his first year or are they allowed to send him to the ECHL?

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Ah, interesting system. Just an extra general curiousity question, not that its related to Ehlers.
As I understand you guys, a player can't play in the AHL until a certain age, so that he to make the NHL roster not to play in the juniors again...Does he lose his junior right for good if he makes the roster? So if a player is drafted by an NHL team and makes the roster, but the club later decides that they made a mistake and that he isn't ready after all. Can they still send him to the juniors in his first year or are they allowed to send him to the ECHL?

They would have to send him to the juniors. They would simply burn a year of his ELC, that wouldn't usually be burned, since ELCs are allowed to slide if the player doesn't play in the NHL and is under 20 years of age. A player is allowed 9 games in the NHL before a years is burned of his contract. The only way a player can lose his junior rights is by becoming too old.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
They would have to send him to the juniors. They would simply burn a year of his ELC, that wouldn't usually be burned, since ELCs are allowed to slide if the player doesn't play in the NHL and is under 20 years of age. A player is allowed 9 games in the NHL before a years is burned of his contract. The only way a player can lose his junior rights is by becoming too old.

Thanks. Nice to finally understanding how the whole system wors.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
News from the NA junior playoffs:

Halifax won 4-1 over Gatineau and Ehlers had 1G 1A.
So Halifax now have a triple lead on the point production in QMJHL:
Drouin: 9G 18A
Ehlers: 8G 12A
Gadoury: 8G 9A

Portland beat Victoria 5-1. Bjørkstrand had 1g 3A !!
Edmonton won 5-1 over Victoria. Mads Eller had 1A
So both Portland and Edmonton won their series 4-1.

In WHL it's double lead in point production for Kootenay:
S. Reinhart: 6G 17A
Descheneau: 10G 10A
Joint third for Portland with Bjørkstrand 9G 10A & Leipsic 8G 11A

So Ehlers leads with 20P to Bjørkstrand's 19P both having played 9 games.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Next round of the playoffs:

QMJHL
Halifax - Val d'Or: 2-5 [Shots 31-25, yet a clear loss]
Nikolaj Ehlers with 1G [Total 9G 12A in 10 games]
Fucale didn't have a good night in goal for Halifax.

WHL
Portland - Kelowna: 4-5
Oliver Bjørkstrand with 2G [Total 11G 10A in 10 games]

Edmonton - Medicine Hat: 8-3
Mads Eller with 2A [Total 1G 6A in 10 games]

Ehlers & Bjørkstrand both with 21 points.......

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Have a good feeling it is goodbye Portland and Halifax in this series.

I don't think its that clearcut yet.....

It's weird because Halifax has tons of shots on goal, but can't open the floodgates, whereas Fucale is open like a sieve these first two games. Halifax still has a chance.

Last night Halifax lost 4-2 in spite of outshooting Val-d'Or with 33-20.
No points for Nikolaj Ehlers.

On the other hand in the WHL Portland made a comeback with a 5-3 victory over Kelowna.
Oliver Bjørkstrand with 1G, so he passes Ehlers and have 12G 10A in 11 games.

Edmonton will play it's second against Medicine Hat tonight.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don't think its that clearcut yet.....

It's weird because Halifax has tons of shots on goal, but can't open the floodgates, whereas Fucale is open like a sieve these first two games. Halifax still has a chance.

Last night Halifax lost 4-2 in spite of outshooting Val-d'Or with 33-20.
No points for Nikolaj Ehlers.

On the other hand in the WHL Portland made a comeback with a 5-3 victory over Kelowna.
Oliver Bjørkstrand with 1G, so he passes Ehlers and have 12G 10A in 11 games.

Edmonton will play it's second against Medicine Hat tonight.

Ofc it's not.

But having watched both Halifax games, it is clear they have not come prepared for Val-D'or.

loosing the 2 first games is bad, even more so when they are your 2 homegames.
It's clear Halifax are not shooting from the right areas or testing the goalie the same areas all the time.

I honestly will bet money that Halifax looses this in 4 or 5.

Portland are imo a better team, but Kelowna has solid Goaltending. And I have a feeling Portland will have to come out shooting like this everygame to go on to the finals.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Ofc it's not.

But having watched both Halifax games, it is clear they have not come prepared for Val-D'or.

loosing the 2 first games is bad, even more so when they are your 2 homegames.
It's clear Halifax are not shooting from the right areas or testing the goalie the same areas all the time.

I honestly will bet money that Halifax looses this in 4 or 5

Portland are imo a better team, but Kelowna has solid Goaltending. And I have a feeling Portland will have to come out shooting like this everygame to go on to the finals.

So Halifax needs a real change in game plan. You are probably right with Halifax, but Portland's offense is maybe good enough to outscore opposition. I still think Portland can make it.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Edmonton won 3-1 over Medicine Hat.
Leads series 2-0.

No point for Mads Eller, but Edmonton's Latvian Edgards Kulda got 1G 1A and so far 5G 9A.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Most likely yes...

Ehlers has to be 21 years og age as a Euro to be eligable for the AHL.

He would have to make his future NHL team straight out of camp, to avoid going back to jrs. And since that is highly unlikely, he will most like have another season in Halifax.

The only way a under-20 player can play in the AHL is if:

1. His rights are not owned by any junior team. This is the case for Filip Forsberg who played most of this season in the AHL.

2. The season is over for the junior team who owns the player's rights. This is the case for someone like Marko Dano, who played the season in the KHL, but was able to finish out the year in the AHL because the team who owns his junior rights didn't make the WHL playoffs.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
The only way a under-20 player can play in the AHL is if:

1. His rights are not owned by any junior team. This is the case for Filip Forsberg who played most of this season in the AHL.

2. The season is over for the junior team who owns the player's rights. This is the case for someone like Marko Dano, who played the season in the KHL, but was able to finish out the year in the AHL because the team who owns his junior rights didn't make the WHL playoffs.

Are you sure about those rules? I'm pretty sure it depends on where you played when you were drafted. If you played in the CHL, you have to abide by the CHL/NHL agreement. But if you were playing in Europe and moved to the CHL the season after being drafted, you can still move the AHL, despite being under 20. Maybe they changed it with the new CBA, but these are rules I'm familiar with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad