Prospect from your team who's made biggest leap

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Off the top of my head Matthews, Laine, Keller, McAvoy, Sergachev, Tkachuk, PLD, Chychrun, Debrincat, Pool Party... that's 10. There are probably a couple more I am forgetting.

Some of those are very debatable

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don't know about Virta man... he certainly hasn't taken the step I expected. Almost looks disinterested at times.
for a 7th rounder he’s doing pretty good, he could be a really solid player soon

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Tell me who then

Matthews, Laine, McAvoy, and Tkachuk are the only clear cut ones ahead right now. A case can be made for the rest of them save for Chychrun. I don't think he belongs in that group.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Matthews, Laine, McAvoy, and Tkachuk are the only clear cut ones ahead right now. A case can be made for the rest of them save for Chychrun. I don't think he belongs in that group.

Why not Chychrun, he had a very solid rookie year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For the Jets, Roslovic has moved into a top prospect category after a strong season last year.

Players that have really emerged tis season are...

Appleton
Niku
Foley
Lemieux

Reactions: ps241 and MardyBum

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
As much as i'd want to say robert thomas....i expected him to do what he's been doing. I'd say Sam Blais has made the biggest leap for blues prospects this season. I don't think anyone going into the season really thought he'd be playing any NHL games this season. Also Vince Dunn, but he was kind of expected as well.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Brock Boeser being told by so called experts he does not have an elite shot, and is nothing more then a 2nd line player, proving people wrong.

William Lock wood, I forgot who it was, it was another expert telling people Lockwood has no chance at team USA world Juniors at any point.

Never heard of those.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
another guy who made a big jump for boston is matt grzelcyk. he always had the hockey IQ and skating ability,
but never looked like he could handle the NHL until a few weeks ago. i think he was ranked around 18 or 19
in our HF rankings, but that's also partially due to the strong depth in boston's system. looks like a legit bottom
pairing puck mover.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
2 year bump on this thread, but ready to ask the same question. which prospect(s)
on your team has taken a big jump since the summer?

for bruins i think jakub lauko looks like a legit top 9 winger with speed-skill-jam.

Reactions: Bruhin

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
2 year bump on this thread, but ready to ask the same question. which prospect(s)
on your team has taken a big jump since the summer?

for bruins i think jakub lauko looks like a legit top 9 winger with speed-skill-jam.
Jan Jenik for the Yotes and Lauri Pajuniemi, Nils Lundkvist, and Zac Jones for the Rangers

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Brogan Rafferty RD and Tyler Madden C/RW for Van

Rafferty - NCAA free agent to arguably one of the top defenseman in the AHL. Top scorer anyway and +17 is impressive stuff. He's gonna get a look soon by the Canucks

Madden - 3rd rounder that within 6 months of the draft had people questioning if he would be a 1st rounder in a re draft. Was a top line threat for the USA U20s team by the time the dust settled and has been one of the best players in the NCAA this year.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Jason Robertson looks good for the Stars. Lead the OHL in scoring last year with 117 points and this year he has 21 points in 30 games after a slow start.

Roope Hintz and Denis Gurianov are full time NHLers from the 2015 draft.

Riley Damiani has the potential to become an NHLer after a strong season last year, though he is on the smaller side he has a well rounded game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers have two prospects who've taken huge jumps, Nils Lundkvist and Lauri Pajuniemi.

I think Lundkvist has made the bigger jump. Lundkvist has turned into a complete beast this season and one of the best prospects outside of the NHL. Pajuniemi has turned himself into a good prospect, but I'd still go with Lundkvist, if forced to choose one.

Tyler Wall and Joey Keane are also having excellent seasons that they probably wouldn't have been expected to have, but both were good prospects to begin with, so a slight improvement isn't that surprising.

Reactions: neelynugs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Quite a few-hard to choose;

Carson Soucy- 25yo AHL/NCAA player who is playing on the Wild top 4, pushing Dumba back to the 3rd pairing. 6'5", can skate, handle the puck, jump into the play, yet still has an above average defensive game.

Sam Hentges- 7th round pick playing NCAA. 21 pts in 16 games. Wasn't even much of a factor in HS or junior.

Kohovanov- 2018 3rd round pick. Second in PPG on the Q after Lafreniere, and centering the Russian top line at the WJC

Beckman- 2019 3rd rounder. Leads WHL in scoring.

The only one I can truly vouch for is Soucy, as I have seen most of his games. He seems to be the real deal. Seems to have the right blend of offensive aggressiveness and defensive awareness that is hard to find in younger, hotshot Dmen who are hell bent on getting on the scoresheet. It's possible he flames out, but I don't see how barring a bad injury.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Phillip Kurashev for the Hawks. Former 4th rounder from 2018, has, at the age of 20, taken the reigns as the Icehogs' (Hawks' AHL affiliate) 1C. 15pts in 27 games so far and from reports, is a decent two-way guy. He's really come on after a slow start.

He's not as exciting as a guy like Dach, but he looks like a good bet to make the show and be a solid middle six guy (it'll likely have to be wing for him for the near future only due to Toews, Dach, and Strome).

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Matt Phillips and Glenn Gawdin for the Flames. Both are putting up big numbers in the AHL as sophomores.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jansen Harkins easily for the Jets. Last season it looked like he was too slow for the AHL and then he came to camp this season looking like a completely different player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pierre Engvall. Was a guy we pretty much-expected nothing from and now looks like a legit middle-six winger.

Korshkov who many have written off as a bust also looks like he might be an NHLer. He'll never be better than Debrincat and others drafted after him, but he might be a useful contributor.

Nick Robertson has improved his stock. He probably would go 20-35 in a re-draft at this point.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
he went from 'questionable' pick to a franchise player :thumbu:

That's a huge stretch as many had EP40 as the most pure skilled player in the draft although there were concerns about the quality of the league he was playing in and his weight.

He was tall and projected to fill out just not an instant impact as soon as he id accomplish what he has.

The Vancouver prospect who has probably made the biggest leap this year is Brogan Rafferty but then again he is also 24 so not sure what to make of his NHL future.

Kole Lind has also recovered to become a possible NHL prospect but I doubt he ever makes any significant NHL impact.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
For Ottawa the biggest is probably Vitali Abramov.
Putting up near PPG in the AHL after a disappointing rookie AHL season.
He’s a guy that is likely a top-6 or bust player though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad