Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion: Even Our Germans We Export To Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Clearly he is feeling down, he is doing worse than before WJC game
To be perfectly honest it's not just post-WJC. He was great in October (10 games 94.3%) but ever since November he hasn't been the same (15 games, 89.9%). His first game back from the WJC was actually very good, 15/16 saves in a 4-1 win.

I only mention this because it's kind of an obvious rut and not just a few games. But he could turn it around and finish the season with great numbers and no one will remember. Frankly, I don't think it makes sense to make any kind of long-term judgement on his future until we've got a proper sample size of pro hockey to evaluate him on.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He could be working on some technique issues that, in the short-term, make him look a little less comfortable/confident. He still has another 3-5 years of development.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
I see our definition of this is getting creative
3 goals on 11 shots (.739 Sv%), including at least 1 really ugly goal from the corner. Not sure how you'd define his play in that game? I like Cossa, and I am also realistic about development so I don't think anyone should say the sky is falling with regards to Cossa...but every time he has been in any form of "spotlight" so far in his admittedly young career (Traverse City, WJC Scrimmage, WHL games nationally televised, WJC warm up game) he seems to crap the bed which is a trend, and is mildly disconcerting.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
3 goals on 11 shots (.739 Sv%), including at least 1 really ugly goal from the corner. Not sure how you'd define his play in that game? I like Cossa, and I am also realistic about development so I don't think anyone should say the sky is falling with regards to Cossa...but every time he has been in any form of "spotlight" so far in his admittedly young career (Traverse City, WJC Scrimmage, WHL games nationally televised, WJC warm up game) he seems to crap the bed which is a trend, and is mildly disconcerting.
He came in cold and played the latter half of an exhibition game. If I'm not mistaken, 2 of those goals were by Michkov. That's nothing to make an assessment on.

It didn't stop Cameron, but that's why he's an idiot.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
What a bust

The tricky thing with Cossa is that no amount of CHL hockey is going to change the opinions of those who doubt him based on his limited performances on a bigger stage this year. It's more emotional than rational to me, but the reality is he'll be a controversial player on this board until he proves himself to be a quality NHL starter or a bust. Even then, he'll probably still divide opinion.

I've caught a good chunk of WHL hockey this year and he's mostly impressed from my not-a-goalie point of view. I definitely have some concerns, but seeing how easy it was to go and get a solid B+ starting goaltender in Nedeljkovic, I don't mind us swinging for the fences on a guy who has the qualities to be that rare A+ goaltender.

Reactions: NickH8

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
The tricky thing with Cossa is that no amount of CHL hockey is going to change the opinions of those who doubt him based on his limited performances on a bigger stage this year. It's more emotional than rational to me, but the reality is he'll be a controversial player on this board until he proves himself to be a quality NHL starter or a bust. Even then, he'll probably still divide opinion.

I've caught a good chunk of WHL hockey this year and he's mostly impressed from my not-a-goalie point of view. I definitely have some concerns, but seeing how easy it was to go and get a solid B+ starting goaltender in Nedeljkovic, I don't mind us swinging for the fences on a guy who has the qualities to be that rare A+ goaltender.

The limited performances on a big stage this year don't bother me, it was the limited performance on ANY stage when Cossa was drafted that gave me pause. Only 52 WHL games, the last 19 his second season against only the mediocre/bad teams in his Division. He's never played a WHL playoff game. His only international experience was the World U17 event, where he was the backup on one of the Canadian teams and played just one game in Pool play to determine who advanced to the medal round.

I know nothing about how to evaluate young goaltenders. I watched Pogge and Dubnyk play many games in the WHL over three seasons and was sure Pogge would be the better NHL goalie. So, I proved to myself I know shit about goalies and that my iinitial negative feelings about Cossa's fidgety up and down style have zero value. I am just putting faith in Yzerman's proven ability to hire good people. He added Phil Osaer to the scouting staff in Tampa, then brought him to Detroit to be head of Goaltender Scouting and Development. I expect he was the main voice in evaluating Cossa and Wallstedt, and also probably contributed -- maybe in a major way -- to the Wings' evaluation of Nedeljkovic. If that's the case, then so far so good. If he's right about Cossa I don't think there will be much divided opinion about the player, but barring future playoff series wins there will always be controversy about the cost to move up to draft him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

I haven't watched much WHL hockey this season but someone earlier in this thread mentioned Cossa was above a .93 save percentage in October but was sub 0.900 in November. Pronman was on a recent The Athletic podcast and mentioned that Cossa was having a down season in comparison to last year and didn't have Cossa in his top 5 goaltending prospects. (Granted, Pronman had Seider at #6 on his top prospects under 21 so I take his ranking with a grain of salt)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Cossa has one large technical flaw that he has to correct before he becomes the goalie that he can be. He simply goes down too quick and doesn't challenge the shooters enough. He gives the top of the net away way too easily, which is why he struggles at higher tiers of talent. If he can rectify that, he will be the best goalie from that draft class. Just a matter of if he does or not.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Cossa has one large technical flaw that he has to correct before he becomes the goalie that he can be. He simply goes down too quick and doesn't challenge the shooters enough. He gives the top of the net away way too easily, which is why he struggles at higher tiers of talent. If he can rectify that, he will be the best goalie from that draft class. Just a matter of if he does or not.
I find it a little concerning that he hasn't performed well in the most important games of his career.
I still don't understand why Petruzzelli was let go.
He was really good for the Leafs in a preseason game I caught, goalie of the month for the ECHL in October and has stellar numbers there so far in 9 games (I don't think he has played in a while because of Canadian lockdowns) and was the 3rd star as an emergency call-up for the Marlies making 30 stops in a 4-3 OT victory. He just seems to get the job done wherever he goes.

Last edited:

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Why are people so caught up in a teenage goalie stats in a junior league? Cossa was a first round pick, ok I get that, But he's not a MAF or Price (aka a top 5 pick) so who cares? the CHL is not a very systems based league and systems have a significant impact on goalies, so why don't we just wait until he starts playing in a pro league before making predictions on a players potential. First round pick or not I don't expect goalies to make the NHL till at least after their D+3, if it happens before that then that's great but goalies have a lot more runway to develop.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
He was really good for the Leafs in a preseason game caught, goalie of the month for the ECHL in October and has stellar numbers there so far in 9 games (I don't think he has played in a while because of Canadian lockdowns) and was the 3rd star as an emergency call-up for the Marlies making 30 stops in a 4-3 OT victory. He just seems to get the job done wherever he goes.
He wasn't "let go". He chose not to sign with Detroit and become a free agent.

Reactions: golffuul

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I find it a little concerning that he hasn't performed well in the most important games of his career.
He was really good for the Leafs in a preseason game caught, goalie of the month for the ECHL in October and has stellar numbers there so far in 9 games (I don't think he has played in a while because of Canadian lockdowns) and was the 3rd star as an emergency call-up for the Marlies making 30 stops in a 4-3 OT victory. He just seems to get the job done wherever he goes.

No other team in the NHL offered him an NHL contract. If we made a mistake, we weren't the only ones.

Reactions: golffuul

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
I'm pretty sure that I remember reading that we chose not to sign him.
You remembered incorrectly.
Duffer’s Dabbles: Former Red Wings Prospect Petruzzelli Off To Fast Start With Leafs Organization

"Keith Petruzzelli willfully walked away from his chance to play for the Detroit Red Wings. After a failed attempt to draw interest from the Boston Bruins, Petruzzelli appears to be settling in quite nicely with the Toronto Maple Leafs organization."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00