Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion 20/21 "It Could Have Been Lundell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Stutzle looks like the Pettersson of the 2020 draft. I think it's a very low chance that Raymond suprised to the level of being someone that impacts a franchise in a bigger way. Bigger question is how we would feel if the lottery hadn't "screwed" us and we got Lafreniere or Byfield?

Lafreniere would be unhappy at our team. Most casual fans would probably shit on him since he is not the saviour of the team. Byfield would play for GR, and people would get mad, saying that he is a bust because a 2nd overall pick "should not play in the AHL!".

Reactions: evolutionbaby

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Stutzle looks like the Pettersson of the 2020 draft. I think it's a very low chance that Raymond suprised to the level of being someone that impacts a franchise in a bigger way. Bigger question is how we would feel if the lottery hadn't "screwed" us and we got Lafreniere or Byfield?

If we got Lafreniere I’d be fine with it. He probably takes the Joe Thornton route to becoming a scorer. The guy will succeed. Give him a season or two.

If we got Byfield I’d be much less happy. I don’t see him becoming the next Malkin like some people here think he is. Or the next Schiefele.

Reactions: David D and lilidk

SergeiYzerman

Oct 9, 2018
If we got Lafreniere I’d be fine with it. He probably takes the Joe Thornton route to becoming a scorer. The guy will succeed. Give him a season or two.

If we got Byfield I’d be much less happy. I don’t see him becoming the next Malkin like some people here think he is. Or the next Schiefele.

I still think we got the 3rd best player on the board. Raymond is sitting now exactly where I figured he'd be, I just didn't think the order would be different in front of him. To be fair though, I think some of Laf's issues lie directly with David Quinn, and less about him being a bust or something. Kakko's having similar issues. He's looked great even if the scoresheet doesn't reflect it.

It'll take some time for Raymond to develop, but he passed the eye test in Frolunda this year, and he played really well in that league. Raymond's production is being hampered by his lack of size and the fact that it seems as though the team as a whole has issues with scoring. When he went down with that elbow injury, he was 5th on the team in scoring with 18 points, and the rest of the guys ahead of him were 27-35 (the highest scorer at the time only had 23 points) and most were former NHL or AHL players. He was literally a PDO bender away from being their highest scorer.

Raymond's only flaws are size and strength. His skating fundamentals are great, so adding strength will only help his explosiveness, which has already improved tremendously since last season. And of course it'll help him protect the puck better. Example: I saw a play (I forget which game it was) where he was trailing his man, probably a step or two behind at center ice, and by the time the puck carrier entered the zone Raymond was already on him, and used his stick to break up the play.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I still think we got the 3rd best player on the board. Raymond is sitting now exactly where I figured he'd be, I just didn't think the order would be different in front of him. To be fair though, I think some of Laf's issues lie directly with David Quinn, and less about him being a bust or something. Kakko's having similar issues. He's looked great even if the scoresheet doesn't reflect it.

It'll take some time for Raymond to develop, but he passed the eye test in Frolunda this year, and he played really well in that league. Raymond's production is being hampered by his lack of size and the fact that it seems as though the team as a whole has issues with scoring. When he went down with that elbow injury, he was 5th on the team in scoring with 18 points, and the rest of the guys ahead of him were 27-35 (the highest scorer at the time only had 23 points) and most were former NHL or AHL players. He was literally a PDO bender away from being their highest scorer.

Raymond's only flaws are size and strength. His skating fundamentals are great, so adding strength will only help his explosiveness, which has already improved tremendously since last season. And of course it'll help him protect the puck better. Example: I saw a play (I forget which game it was) where he was trailing his man, probably a step or two behind at center ice, and by the time the puck carrier entered the zone Raymond was already on him, and used his stick to break up the play.
Don't rush him and Bergreen stay 1 more year in SHL. would be great if they play in the same team next season

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Berggren has nothing left to prove in the SHL. He should be over playing instead of some of the bums we have in our lineup. Same with Seider.
Unlike Raymond , Bergreen who is also high end skills, avoiding physical contact at any cost, just my observation.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Unlike Raymond , Bergreen who is also high end skills, avoiding physical contact at any cost, just my observation.

I've seen him in board battles quite often this year. Watch his games against Rogle. He isn't a big hitter but he's also not as soft as some people here think.

And the old hockey adage, "You have to take a hit to make a play." doesn't always apply. Sometimes you can avoid a hit and make the same play. Berggren is a master of drawing people to him, making a move and curling away while making a play at the same time.

I feel like we've already had this discussion about Berggren a page or two ago.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I've seen him in board battles quite often this year. Watch his games against Rogle. He isn't a big hitter but he's also as soft as some people here think.

And the old hockey adage, "You have to take a hit to make a play." doesn't always apply. Sometimes you can avoid a hit and make the same play. Berggren is a master of drawing people to him, making a move and curling away while making a play at the same time.

I feel like we've already had this discussion about Berggren a page or two ago.
Anyway next year is the year we should be tanking , no reason to bring him here , same reason I like Mantha get traded, we could get generational player at 2022 draft

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Anyway next year is the year we should be tanking , no reason to bring him here , same reason I like Mantha get traded, we could get generational player at 2022 draft

We’ve been awful since 2016-17. This will be the 5th straight year of no playoffs and it’s unlikely we make it next year. We don’t need help being bad.

We should be taking steps to be competitive by playing the kids.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We’ve been awful since 2016-17. This will be the 5th straight year of no playoffs and it’s unlikely we make it next year. We don’t need help being bad.

Patience my friend 2022 summer could be turning point for this franchise

Reactions: David D and Realgud

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
We'll still be bad even if we bring berggren and seider over. Look at Ottawa their young players are playing well, there in a worse division then us and they still are bottom feeders.

We need to bring a couple of young guys to the nhl so we arent bringing in 10 rookies at a time so if we do get lottery lucky speed up the growing pains portion of the rebuild.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We'll still be bad even if we bring berggren and seider over. Look at Ottawa their young players are playing well, there in a worse division then us and they still are bottom feeders.

We need to bring a couple of young guys to the nhl so we arent bringing in 10 rookies at a time so if we do get lottery lucky speed up the growing pains portion of the rebuild.
Veleno, Svechnikov, Seider, Smith, Cholowski next year , total 5 rockies for next season

Reactions: David D

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Veleno, Svechnikov, Seider, Smith, Cholowski next year , total 5 rockies for next season

If I had to guess it’s Seider for sure.

Veleno probably starts in Grand Rapids but gets first call up.

Berggren I’d say 50% he makes the main team out of camp. If not he goes to GR and gets 2nd call up.

I also think Giovanni Smith is up full time.

Chase Pearson is my dark horse.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013

Agreed. It's not like rookie Berggren or Raymond or even Seider is going to put us out of lottery contention anyway

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Last edited:
Reactions: Christoph53

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
This is a guy that the more I've seen his games this year, the more I'm convinced he makes it. Probably 3 or 4 more years, but the kid is just such a phenomenal skater and puckhandler. He's safe and steady so I don't think he'll ever do more than 20 points a night, but I like his decision making.

Not gonna lie I would be pretty satisfied with that output ;)

Christoph53

Jan 28, 2021
Sorry man. I'm still waiting for the coffee to kick in. My point still stands; Viro looks like the kind of guy who can be a safe and steady puck mover on a bottom pair.

Don´t worry I was just having fun :)

Back on topic
I just read the report thinking if he made it to the NHL, he would be the perfect partner for Filip Hronek.
Considering you watched him quite a bit this season, what would you say is his path to the big league?
Another season in Finland and then off to Grand Rapids?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Don´t worry I was just having fun :)

Back on topic
I just read the report thinking if he made it to the NHL, he would be the perfect partner for Filip Hronek.
Considering you watched him quite a bit this season, what would you say is his path to the big league?
Another season in Finland and then off to Grand Rapids?

When is he eligible to play in GR? He's in the Finnish men's league right now. I think the sooner we get him over the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad