Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think at the very least Gauthier will be a depth player for the Leafs next season. Depends if he wins against a vet/UFA we should be signing this offseason. No harm in keeping him around as a 13th forward like they have a whole bunch of other players. Unlike someone like Leivo, he may actually benefit from the next level coaching and not playing all of the time until he does learn some more things.

He has been quite good in the AHL besides his production, so there is still a ton of hope left in him. At the same time, would still move him for the right deal and would consider giving him a better shot with an EDM or a MTL.

My reading of the situation is the Goat flunked his audition for Babcock this season.

I’m not expecting him to be with the Leafs again

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
My reading of the situation is the Goat flunked his audition for Babcock this season.

If that is true then Lou will probably find a taker for him. Shouldn't be that hard.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

He hasn't got over his injury Mentally, sustained last year, he's been rehabbing then playing he's worn out and has lost his focus, he should be a different player next Fall.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

That's my interpretation of the situation as well.

It almost seems like he's being pushed further and further down the depth chart. They were even considering having Aaltonen ahead of him.

I think they will find a similar defensive prospect from another team. Someone like a Slater Koekkoek or Samuel Morin. Guys that haven't quite cracked their respective NHL team, but you don't know if you want to qualify them for another year.

In the case of Morin, guys like Provorov, Hagg and Sanheim are all getting time ahead of him.

That's what I would be looking for.

Reactions: Menzinger

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The one kid I really want to see come to north america is Nikolai Chebykin. He's 6'3 plays heavy and seems to be super skilled. He reminds me a ton of JVR (of now). I think he was on pace to crack the KHL lineup this season but he was acquired at the start of the season by SKA St. Petersburg and stuck on their VHL roster. SKA seems to be the most corrupt/ stacked team in the KHL and they don't play/ have the room for the kids. (SKA is 47-5-4 for a whopping 138 points in 56 games played, I don't even know what to say to that.)

I think we should bring him over, though, I'm sure it might be difficult to pry him loose from SKA since he seems to be a big part of their future.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
^I would not mind if he spent time in the echl or all. KHL has so much politics and it is doubtful if they give him on khl 3rd line minutes. I do not want to see him in the VHL. Only problem is he’s probably getting paid decently for staying in the khl.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I think he probably gets another shot. But for a guy whose bar has consistently been lowered (potential 2nd line centre to now fourth line guy) he can't seem to meet even those modest expectations. What's worse is that his lack of development has cost us a second rounder (possibly two if you include last year) to shore up the role we'd like him to fill.

At this point I'd be happy with a slightly better skating David Steckel in the faceoff circle. There'd be some use in that at least.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gauthier definitely hasn't progressed as hoped and expected. I still think he's an adequate 4th line center but I wouldn't lose much sleep if he was let go or traded for something else.

His last stint was very disappointing. He kept turning over the puck with bad passes and made some questionable puck decisions. Nobody expects him to score or dominate the puck, but for the amount of minutes he plays, he cannot be a liability and that's the bottom line.

A team that is rebuilding should be very interested in him. I'm not sure the Leafs should or will have the same patience at this stage. He's up there in the candidates to be moved this summer.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Intrigued with Engvall - his blend of size/speed would be great for the fourth line of the Leafs if he pans out.. Just needs to be able to use his body effectively.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It isn't a myth however that someone having similar attributes to Freddie Gauthier might make an ideal 4th line center.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bracco recieves 4th line ice time. He gets primary assists on a 2nd line level and overall is a top end 2nd line-lower end 1st line playmaker. They arent just inflated by powerplay points either. His even strength primary assists is at a top end 2nd line level. The only thing off are his goals but he hasnt been a huge goal scorer even in Junior, and with a little more puck plus experience, the goals will come.
He has been very productive despite not getting a lot of ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad