Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
With out Johnsson, Kappy, Dermott, the Marlies will be one and out if they don't get an influx of scoring talent, Demko shows what a real NHL prospect in net looks like and why he's an ahl allstar. :help:
This post will be fun to quote after our 1st round series against the Comets.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Calvin Pickard and Sparks are real NHL prospects.
They have better numbers then Demko and the Marlies are having a great season, and will likely have a long playoff run with those NHL prospects providing solid goaltending while the other prospects scoring as well.

Reactions: Menzinger

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Piccinich is already locked in with an AHL deal, he'll be a Solar Bear or whatever they're called out on the rock. Dzierkals should be back on another AHL deal where he would start on the Solar Bears and hopefully earn himself minutes on the Marlies. But, he may go back to Europe.

I think they circle back around on Korostelev as well dangling an AHL contract.

Piccinich could be in the AHL as a 4th liner next year, similar to Marchment. Dzierkals as well. It would be up to them to force the Leafs to offer more than that, but we keep Dzierkals for a long time so whenever he figures it out, we can offer him a deal at that point.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Grundstrom is going to really hit the ground running with the Marlies. I only watched the third period but he looked dangerous and rang the crossbar with 5min to go which would have tied the game. It snaps his 8 game point scoring streak and 3 game goal scoring streak.

Also if Grundstrom doesn't make the Leafs I wouldn't mind sending him back for another year. He is getting decent ice time, is also on the #1 PP unit and Frolunda is a great organization, they were excellent with Johnsson as well.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Grundstrom is going to really hit the ground running with the Marlies. I only watched the third period but he looked dangerous and rang the crossbar with 5min to go which would have tied the game. It snaps his 8 game point scoring streak and 3 game goal scoring streak.

Also if Grundstrom doesn't make the Leafs I wouldn't mind sending him back for another year. He is getting decent ice time, is also on the #1 PP unit and Frolunda is a great organization, they were excellent with Johnsson as well.

Assuming the Leafs don't re-sign JVR/Komarov, I would keep him with the Marlies as they'll want to ensure they have quality LW depth in case he needs to be recalled. Get him adjusted to North America and maybe he could have a mid-season Dermott-like impact on the roster.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Don't feed him.
Was he not using Thatcher Demko as an example of a quality prospect? I mean isn't that the same guy that our own goaltender prospect, Woll, matched/usurped in college and in Team USA as well? Even if the Brick Woll doesn't amount to much, the fact he is keeping pace with a supposed blue chip does not bode well.

Reactions: stickty111

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
With Kapanen & Dermott graduating this year, Korshkov, Grundstrom & Johnsson are the only prospects we have with a real chance of being full-time NHLers next year.

I think Liljegren needs another year in the AHL at the very least.

Hopefully we can continue to draft well and maintain a strong pipeline of talent year after year. It's key in the salary cap era, and will be especially important once Matthews, Marner and Nylander get big contracts.

Justin Holl seemed to look like an NHLer for his cup of coffee.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Pierre Engvall posted a story on Instagram of him on a plane that said "soon" with a Canadian flag. Appears to be on his way.

Reactions: Boutette

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Engvall, Middleton and Mattinen to ELCs. Dzierkals and Piccinich to AHL contracts. Vesey not signed and goes to another team. Joshua goes for his senior year (Could lose him as well the following year, I'd sign him this off-season if he's willing).

Holl, Aaltonen, Dermott and Johnsson permanently on the Leafs. Grundstrom and Korshkov (maybe?) on the Marlies.

Those are my predictions for this summer.

The Marlies really need a scoring center because the depth right now is Brooks and Gauthier, and that's terrible. Mueller could be back and he's been solid.

I could see Timashov, Gauthier and/or Nielsen traded this summer.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This post will be fun to quote after our 1st round series against the Comets.

Dude, he's got 30 rosters of prospects to play his "prospect compare" game with. The game isn't about him being right, it's about irritating Leafs' fans. Remember that if Demko flops, he just moves on to another player.

Reactions: stickty111

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I don't see the harm in keeping all 3 around for another season. None have progressed as we would have liked but all 3 could at the very least contribute at the AHL level. I think Gauthier is in danger of not being qualified. If the CBA were different and there wasn't a 50 contract limit, I'd keep him around indefinitely and see whether he gradually grows into an NHL level player. Don't forget the Lou factor: Lou has a history of showing long term loyalty to the some individuals deemed as positive for the organization.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nielsen's really had a step back offensively, combine that with the questions about his skating and he's a chip that I wouldn't mind using in a trade for an upgrade.

Tima has at least improved (marginally) on his numbers from last year ... I'm indifferent about the Goat. I wouldn't sell him for cheap but if a team sees strong value in him, I'd move him. I wouldn't mind making the #4C role a competition between Freddy and a UFA/vet. Keeping Freddy around at least shores up some centre depth for the Leafs as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Engvall, Middleton and Mattinen to ELCs. Dzierkals and Piccinich to AHL contracts. Vesey not signed and goes to another team. Joshua goes for his senior year (Could lose him as well the following year, I'd sign him this off-season if he's willing).

Holl, Aaltonen, Dermott and Johnsson permanently on the Leafs. Grundstrom and Korshkov (maybe?) on the Marlies.

Those are my predictions for this summer.

The Marlies really need a scoring center because the depth right now is Brooks and Gauthier, and that's terrible. Mueller could be back and he's been solid.

Middleton: OHL/Marlies -> depends on playoffs
Mattinen: OHL/Marlies -> same as Middleton
Engvall: Marlies/Europe -> Likely on an ELC either way; but can see us loaning him back to HV71 for one more year.
Grundstrom: Leafs/Marlies -> Most likely the latter.
Korshkov: Leafs/Marlies/KHL -> Most likely the Marlies.
Vesey/Winquist/Dupuy/Kestner/Plouffe/Bobylev/Pospisil/Korostelev/Pooley/etc.: St. John's -> AHL/ECHL deal if they want it; they need to fill up and might as well do it with younger players.
Bobylev: St. John's/KHL -> AHL deal once again; let him work his way up.
Dzierkals: Marlies -> Still on AHL deal
Piccinich: Marlies -> Still on AHL deal
Nielsen: Marlies/Trade bait
Gauthier: Leafs/Trade bait -> Could challenge with a vet UFA (and Aaltonen) for the 4C job
Rosen: Leafs/Marlies/Trade bait
Borgman: Leafs/Marlies -> Likely the latter unless Gardiner is somehow traded for a RD.
Brooks: Marlies/Trade bait
Timashov: Marlies/Trade bait
Bracco: Marlies/Trade bait
Aaltonen: Leafs/Marlies -> Likely the latter due to waiver exemption. Should be primary call-up at the very least.
Moore: Marlies/Trade bait
Sparks/Pickard: NHL -> If not the Leafs, then somewhere. There are always teams looking for quality young backups and goaltending. These guys have shown they are ready for an NHL job. If we do not trade them, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get claimed.
Kaskisuo: Marlies

Grundstrom-Aaltonen-Korshkov
Moore-Mueller-Timashov
Marchment-Evans-Bracco
Greening-Brooks-Dzierkals
Clune/Piccinich

Marincin-Liljegren
Borgman-Holl
Middleton-LoVerde
Rosen-Mattinen

Kaskisuo-???

One trade from the start:

:leafs
C/RW Michael McCarron
C/RW Jake Evans

:habs
C Frederik Gauthier
LD Andrew Nielsen

Evans is signed to a deal right away to be the Marlies 3C.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't see the harm in keeping all 3 around for another season. None have progressed as we would have liked but all 3 could at the very least contribute at the AHL level. I think Gauthier is in danger of not being qualified. If the CBA were different and there wasn't a 50 contract limit, I'd keep him around indefinitely and see whether he gradually grows into an NHL level player. Don't forget the Lou factor: Lou has a history of showing long term loyalty to the some individuals deemed as positive for the organization.

I think at the very least Gauthier will be a depth player for the Leafs next season. Depends if he wins against a vet/UFA we should be signing this offseason. No harm in keeping him around as a 13th forward like they have a whole bunch of other players. Unlike someone like Leivo, he may actually benefit from the next level coaching and not playing all of the time until he does learn some more things.

He has been quite good in the AHL besides his production, so there is still a ton of hope left in him. At the same time, would still move him for the right deal and would consider giving him a better shot with an EDM or a MTL.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It's more about getting value out of players likely not having much of a future here and we need to supplement our NHL team. You can't keep every prospect at all times and sometimes you have to give to get and I think those prospects/young players are the ones that have some form of value but don't have quite the same value for us.

I think all 3 have some form of NHL future, especially Timashov, but I'm not sure they'll get their chance here due to various reasons.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Marincin-Liljegren
Borgman-Holl
Middleton-LoVerde
Rosen-Mattinen

Kaskisuo-???

One trade from the start:

:leafs
C/RW Michael McCarron
C/RW Jake Evans

:habs
C Frederik Gauthier
LD Andrew Nielsen

Evans is signed to a deal right away to be the Marlies 3C.

Do you think Marincin is going to re-sign with the Leafs? He is RFA, but could play in Europe. I think he moves on by trade or choice.

Would you trade McCarron for Gauthier?

I think it is possible to do a McCarron for Gauthier, but only if both teams feels they need a change of scenery and have little NHL potential.

Jake Evans probably is UFA this summer?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Do you think Marincin is going to re-sign with the Leafs? He is RFA, but could play in Europe. I think he moves on by trade or choice.

Would you trade McCarron for Gauthier?

I think it is possible to do a McCarron for Gauthier, but only if both teams feels they need a change of scenery and have little NHL potential.

Jake Evans probably is UFA this summer?

Marincin is a placeholder. I think the Leafs would re-sign him to essentially be the LD version of Holl, but they could also move him or he goes to the KHL like Marchenko did. If so, then there are a number of UFA's we can sign and just put their name there.

I would trade McCarron for Gauthier. Gauthier's refinement and defensive game is miles ahead, and McCarron's offensive game is not significantly better. He plays prime offensive minutes, while Gauthier gets essentially none. Despite that his PPG in the AHL is only 0.25 better than Gauthier's. McCarron mostly just has higher potential due to his potential offensive game and the extra physicality, which is what the Leafs would take their chance on. He gives the Leafs another big winger in the system, which they do somewhat lack, and can also be a good center as well. So he can essentially take a 13th/14th role next year and compete with some prospects/vets for a top 12 role, but otherwise can get some first-hand training from the Leafs in practice to improve his skating ability. The Habs just got Rychel, who could quite possibly replace McCarron but do not have anything like Gauthier in the system, so they'd probably be willing to take it. Not that is should matter, but there is also the McCarron-London and Gauthier-French connection there as well.

That being said, in this conjunctive deal, we may even be able to get Evans for less than Nielsen since Gauthier is probably more valuable than McCarron, but we'll leave it as is. Maybe we can put in Mattinen or Marincin instead. Evans has 132 points in 154 NCAA games and is a UFA on August 15th. Plus he has a good defensive game and can play both center or wing. Like Hyman, I can see the Leafs jumping on him and be willing to trade a prospect lower on the depth chart to pick him up before he becomes a UFA just to get him in for rookie camp and to avoid the rush.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Dude, he's got 30 rosters of prospects to play his "prospect compare" game with. The game isn't about him being right, it's about irritating Leafs' fans. Remember that if Demko flops, he just moves on to another player.

He's also the only person in here that cares more about the Marlies and their Calder Cup run than he does about the Leafs and their playoff success.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's also the only person in here that cares more about the Marlies and their Calder Cup run than he does about the Leafs and their playoff success.

Not going to lie, I probably care more too.

Marlies have a far better chance and have been much better for much longer. It may not mean nearly as much but it's about time they earn their first Calder Cup and eventually become a dynasty in the AHL.

Reactions: uncleben85

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
With out Johnsson, Kappy, Dermott, the Marlies will be one and out if they don't get an influx of scoring talent
Hey now, let's not get overboard praising the abilities of Johnsson, Kapanen, and Dermott. Need to keep a level head before labelling any prospect a surefire NHLer.

Reactions: uncleben85

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Well that settles that.

Oh well... I guess not the end of the world. We will just need to find someone else now, because we still need to fill up our ECHL squad for next year.

Maybe Logan DeNoble out of Peterborough? We invited him to rookie camp and while I don't expect much out of him, he was able to post two 30 goal seasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->