Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Only scouting report I could find on the guy.

Pooley Drives Holy Cross Offense

"The big 6-foot-2 winger is able to drive the net and be a force in the high quality scoring areas. Now with 41 career goals, Pooley has always had a knack for lighting the lamp, but he’s become an even more effective player by heeding the advice of his coaching staff and honing in on the dirty areas near the goalmouth.
“They’ve showed me where my goals are. It’s easy to want to be perimeter, but they’ve preached getting to the tough areas around the net, especially in my case. Showing me how I need to play and how I’m capable of playing,” explained Pooley.
Pooley is an above average skater and has a good shot, but a lot of his goals come from finding soft spots in opposing defenses, and being in the right place at the right time. Thanks to growing up around rinks and being a student of the game, his hockey sense is an asset in those areas."

He's a goal scorer first and foremost by the sounds of it.

Sounds like another solid ATO signing (with the first 2 already racking up points for us). Well, we'll need a JvR replacement, right:sarcasm:?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Seems to be a bit of a theme with their NCAA additions so far. All seem to be strong goal scorers (each led their team in goals).

I would guess their experience has shown them its much harder to teach players how to score than it is to teach them to defend. You also don't see a lot of defense-first forwards taken in the first round of the NHL draft, for instance. Plouffe, however, has 3 SHG this year, suggesting that he is more of a 2-way player, and explains why Keefe had him on the ice in the last couple minutes of the Marlies last game defending a one goal lead. Another bonus is that since these players are leading their teams, they probably aren't going to be passengers on their Marlie lines either.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEI

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Plouffe is playing his 3rd game. If he can maintain a high level of play he may just work his way into the Marlies plans for next year given the weak C depth. He is the same age as Gauthier.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Plouffe is playing his 3rd game. If he can maintain a high level of play he may just work his way into the Marlies plans for next year given the weak C depth. He is the same age as Gauthier.

Gauthier is much better though. The Marlies will need a new center and will need depth next year, so Plouffe could have a shot. But he's going to have to work up from the ECHL probably.

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
Borgman with a very dirty hit from behind on Camaranesi, I hope he gets suspended, there is no place in hockey for that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Borgman with a very dirty hit from behind on Camaranesi, I hope he gets suspended, there is no place in hockey for that.
The Leafs have won 4 in a row. Lilly is looking like a steal as well. Isnt soft as butter and is also good defensively.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Question, does anyone know who is supposed to be on the Marlies next year that is graduating from the jr leagues like the OHL and so? And is anyone supposed to be coming over from overseas like Grundstrom etc?

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
The Leafs have won 4 in a row. Lilly is looking like a steal as well. Isnt soft as butter and is also good defensively.

I'm not sure what that had to do with my post but anyways. Lily can skate, has good hands, nice shot and vision but is still weak and soft defensively. He gets knocked off the puck easily in his own zone. He is improving his defensive play but will still need a few more development years before he makes it to the NHL in my opinion.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Question, does anyone know who is supposed to be on the Marlies next year that is graduating from the jr leagues like the OHL and so? And is anyone supposed to be coming over from overseas like Grundstrom etc?
Korshkov, Grundstrom, Engvall, Middleton

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Beyond CHL/Europe...
I'd add Dzierkals to that list too.
I think they'll be interested in promoting him.

Potentially Piccinich too, though my hunch is he's less likely.
Piccinich is already locked in with an AHL deal, he'll be a Solar Bear or whatever they're called out on the rock. Dzierkals should be back on another AHL deal where he would start on the Solar Bears and hopefully earn himself minutes on the Marlies. But, he may go back to Europe.

I think they circle back around on Korostelev as well dangling an AHL contract.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Korshkov, Grundstrom, Engvall, Middleton
Was Korshkov confirmed? I know his contract in the KHL is ending so I do hope he makes the jump over. Definitely excited to see what that group can bring to the Marlies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm not sure what that had to do with my post but anyways. Lily can skate, has good hands, nice shot and vision but is still weak and soft defensively. He gets knocked off the puck easily in his own zone. He is improving his defensive play but will still need a few more development years before he makes it to the NHL in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree 100%. I can see him on a Kapanen timeline rather than a Nylander or Dermott.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Pooley's dad was coach at Providence for a decade.

Close ties to Lou Lamoriello.

Wow. Is that how he lead his teams in points this year? Lou strongarmed his team and the opposing teams to let him get all those points? Hey, what's with the ATO. With such close ties, why wasn't Pooley just handed an ELC the moment his school year ended?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Mason Marchment earned that ELC. There are no easy strides and always make an effort to make contact on the forecheck.

Miro Aaltonen seems to be getting better as the season is progressing. 8 goals and 8 assists in his past 12 games.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

All of their N/A picks are probably going to the Rock to stock up their new ECHL team.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like how the leafs have so many prospects that look ready to be solid players. The leafs scouting staff has gotten some great prospects. Bracco, Lilly, Grundstorm, Korshkov, Johnsson. The list goes on of the really good prospects they have. They are all NHL level prospects with good potential.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I like how the leafs have so many prospects that look ready to be solid players. The leafs scouting staff has gotten some great prospects. Bracco, Lilly, Grundstorm, Korshkov, Johnsson. The list goes on of the really good prospects they have. They are all NHL level prospects with good potential.

With out Johnsson, Kappy, Dermott, the Marlies will be one and out if they don't get an influx of scoring talent, Demko shows what a real NHL prospect in net looks like and why he's an ahl allstar. :help:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
With out Johnsson, Kappy, Dermott, the Marlies will be one and out if they don't get an influx of scoring talent, Demko shows what a real NHL prospect in net looks like and why he's an ahl allstar. :help:

Johnsson PPG in the AHL and he is an AHL all star. First NHL goal against the Habs(they can only dream of having anyone of his quality.. Bracco has been great. Lilly has been great.
Marlies will reach the finals if they are scoring and play good defensively.
Sparks and Pickard are showing what a real NHL prospect looks like and thats why they are elite.
The Habs great prospect Lindgren doesnt look NHL quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->