Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
That's a stretch.

If you are voted the second best defensive defenseman, whilst playing on a team that does not really promote strong defensive play, in the tougher of the two conferences, then I would not say that is a stretch.

If you watch him, it confirms it.

Also, his skating is far from awful.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
When we first drafted Gordeev, I thought meh.

But after watching him play I must say, I am intrigued. It's very weird to see a 6'6 dman skating and doing the moves that he does.

He still has a ways way to go, but for a 5th round pick, I am taking notice.

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
If you are voted the second best defensive defenseman, whilst playing on a team that does not really promote strong defensive play, in the tougher of the two conferences, then I would not say that is a stretch.

If you watch him, it confirms it.

Also, his skating is far from awful.

Only saw him 3 times but each time his skating was below average at the junior level.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Timashov is turning into a player. He looks solid out there in few shifts that I saw

HC7

May 2, 2018
LoVerde - Polak

Liljegren should be playing 18 min a night. Keefe doesn't know this is a development league. LoVerde is a garbage veteran AHL lifer. Maybe play the kid in high pressure situations seeing as he's going to be a huge part of the core going forward...

HC7

May 2, 2018
Look at that. Liljegren and Dermott on the ice with our 3 best forwards and it's constant offensive zone pressure with a goal. Who would have thought...

Reactions: Al14 and Smif

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Johnsson may be this team's Kucherov lite. He's one of the best Marlie forwards i've seen in the last 10 years, including Kapanen and Nylander; biggest difference is that Johnsson is the most consistent and hard working of the bunch. He should be utilized as the 2PP's trigger man next season.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson may be this team's Kucherov lite. He's one of the best Marlie forwards i've seen in the last 10 years, including Kapanen and Nylander; biggest difference is that Johnsson is the most consistent and hard working of the bunch. He should be utilized as the 2PP's trigger man next season.

This is the reason why I've been saying the leafs should lock him in for 3-4 years if they can (what is Kucherov lite anyway? Yanni Gourde?). If it costs a little more than some here want the leafs to pay, so be it, but even with that it's unlikely to cost more than a fraction of the cost as the revolving door of overpaid veteran UFAs others here want and will go far to continue developing the the team building the Shanaplan has started.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
This is the reason why I've been saying the leafs should lock him in for 3-4 years if they can. If it costs a little more than some here want the leafs to pay, so be it, but even with that it's unlikely to cost more than a fraction of the cost as a revolving door of overpaid veteran UFAs others here want and will go far to continue developing the the team building the Shanaplan has started.
100% agreed. That term would be perfect, even though i'd prefer more (5 years or so).

Unfortunately, assuming his agent has a clue, he'll be looking for a bridge. He's just a player that guarantees no risk. His work ethic and motor are there every single night (no exaggeration), and he has the skill level of a high-end top 6er; it's as if he's a grinding sniper, very weird. If he can avoid (re)injury, any long-term contract below 4 mill will look like a golden contract moving forward. His skills and play style are very transferrable.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Congratulations Marlies on making it to the Calder Cup final by sweeping the Phantoms!

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
100% agreed. That term would be perfect, even though i'd prefer more (5 years or so).

Unfortunately, assuming his agent has a clue, he'll be looking for a bridge. He's just a player that guarantees no risk. His work ethic and motor are there every single night (no exaggeration), and he has the skill level of a high-end top 6er; it's as if he's a grinding sniper, very weird. If he can avoid (re)injury, any long-term contract below 4 mill will look like a golden contract moving forward. His skills and play style are very transferrable.

Despite being roundly mocked and pilloried by people here, looks like I'm not the only one who recognizes the benefits of taking a flier on Johnsson. He has exactly the qualities this team needs so it stands to reason its worth it to take a tiny risk and offer him a Brown/Hyman style extension.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's wishful thinking and sounds outrageous, but I keep thinking this guy's going to be a poor man's Daniel Alfredsson for us. Just going to keep improving and trucking along. Underrated skill level, "drive train" and seems to have a great attitude.

And I see his development path as the template the Leafs and Marlies can show to guys like Timashov, Bracco and others coming up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Johnsson has been amazing. 15 points in 9 games, should be a great addition to the Leafs next year.

He's only second in the playoff scoring to some kid named Chris DiDomenico. LOL

Reactions: Lauro

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson has been amazing. 15 points in 9 games, should be a great addition to the Leafs next year.

Dido is a UFA. Didn't do to bad on a stint with the Senators Might be worth signing as center depth (14th forward/Marlies vet).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dido is a UFA. Didn't do to bad on a stint with the Senators Might be worth signing as center depth (14th forward/Marlies vet).

He wouldn't be bad, but he's probably still holding onto the NHL dream, and most certainly would know he has no chance in Toronto. But, if he's accepted he's AHL material, sure.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Despite being roundly mocked and pilloried by people here, looks like I'm not the only one who recognizes the benefits of taking a flier on Johnsson. He has exactly the qualities this team needs so it stands to reason its worth it to take a tiny risk and offer him a Brown/Hyman style extension.
Nobody mocked you.

Most people agreed that it would make sense to get him signed to some term. People disagreed with you on the dollar valuation.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Anyways - enough with the children.

I'm proud of this Marlies team. A good handful of these players could be very important players to the Leafs. Here's to hoping they go on and win the Calder Cup. There's no better experience than championship experience.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

And people thought we had a bad drafting record back then :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Mattinen scored. First point he's put up in the playoffs/Memorial Cup in a while.

Hamilton is losing 2-1 to Regina right now.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Johnsson's ideal next contract depends on what they see in him. If the hope is replaceable support player to cycle through at as low of cost as possible a 4 year could make sense. But when you see names like Arvidsson, Kucherov and Alfredsson-lite.. that's a core player that you want in the organization affordably as long as possible, and you want the contract to either buy UFA years at low cost (ie be 6 plus years) or expire as an RFA, cause that level of player's UFA contract is going to force someone out of the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad