Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Johnsson's ideal next contract depends on what they see in him. If the hope is replaceable support player to cycle through at as low of cost as possible a 4 year could make sense. But when you see names like Arvidsson, Kucherov and Alfredsson-lite.. that's a core player that you want in the organization affordably as long as possible, and you want the contract to either buy UFA years at low cost (ie be 6 plus years) or expire as an RFA, cause that level of player's UFA contract is going to force someone out of the organization.
Interested to see what you think in terms of dollars.

What would the yearly salary look like on a 4 year deal?

What about a 6 year deal?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Interested to see what you think in terms of dollars.

What would the yearly salary look like on a 4 year deal?

What about a 6 year deal?

1 x 950k -1.1
2x 1.3-1.5
3x- 1.6-2
Don't offer 4
Don't offer 5
6 x ??? 2.5-2.8 maybe? I dunno it's pretty uncharted territory, Jarncrok is the only example I can think of. and that was 6 x 2 with two full seasons, one of them scoring 30 points. I can't see Johnsson going for this though, potentially leaving a lot of money on the table. Conversely it's a hard precedent to set within the organization and while I like the possible reward it's not something I'd do.

IMO the sweetspot is 2-3 years

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
1 x 950k -1.1
2x 1.3-1.5
3x- 1.6-2
Don't offer 4
Don't offer 5
6 x ??? 2.5-2.8 maybe? I dunno it's pretty uncharted territory, Jarncrok is the only example I can think of. and that was 6 x 2 with two full seasons, one of them scoring 30 points. I can't see Johnsson going for this though, potentially leaving a lot of money on the table
Jarnkrok was the example I was thinking of as well.

I don't see a world where Johnsson touches $2 million/year on this coming contract for the simple reason that he just doesn't have the NHL experience to command that yet. I'd be surprised if he touches 1.5 to be honest.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Haven't had bad experiences with ya but one way to get disrespected is doing stupid replies consistently like just replying with an emoji twice, just sayin

Should I have offered a respectful response to someone who claimed I wasn't mocked (him being one of the mockers) and then agreed I was mocked, but wouldn't have been mocked if I hadn't pointed out the mocking some time after the mocking had taken place:huh: Standup comedians kill for that kind of material.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Jarnkrok was the example I was thinking of as well.

I don't see a world where Johnsson touches $2 million/year on this coming contract for the simple reason that he just doesn't have the NHL experience to command that yet. I'd be surprised if he touches 1.5 to be honest.

The way I see it the 1x1ish is a gimme. But if we want years 2-3 the agent is going to be looking at his likely role on the team, the Jarncrok- Arvidsson spectrum 30p/2m to 60p/4m and valuing those years appropriately. My ranges come from averaging 1+~2+~2, with a little haggle room

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The way I see it the 1x1ish is a gimme. But if we want years 2-3 the agent is going to be looking at his likely role on the team, the Jarncrok- Arvidsson spectrum 30p/2m to 60p/4m and valuing those years appropriately. My ranges come from averaging 1+~2+~2, with a little haggle room
I hear ya.

Regardless, I'm happy we have him and I hope we develop a few more of these late round gems over the next few years.

Hopefully by the end of next season we're talking about Engvall the way we are talking about Johnsson.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I hear ya.

Regardless, I'm happy we have him and I hope we develop a few more of these late round gems over the next few years.

Hopefully by the end of next season we're talking about Engvall the way we are talking about Johnsson.

He'll likely have to compete with how we may be talking about Bracco and Brooks:naughty:. Earlier picks, sure, but still looked at as long shots with a lot of questions.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He'll likely have to compete with how we may be talking about Bracco and Brooks:naughty:. Earlier picks, sure, but still looked at as long shots with a lot of questions.
Keefe screwed me with Brooks haha the slow phase in cost him the 50 point season and surprise call up I predicted. Next year, kid plays the right way and is super smart on the ice

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Keefe screwed me with Brooks haha the slow phase in cost him the 50 point season and surprise call up I predicted. Next year, kid plays the right way and is super smart on the ice

You better hope he can produce in a 3rd line role, because they may very well be what he's getting next year. Aaltonen and Mueller will almost certainly be ahead of him unless he really does well, and they may even bring in someone to replace Gauthier who will play over him as well.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You better hope he can produce in a 3rd line role, because they may very well be what he's getting next year. Aaltonen and Mueller will almost certainly be ahead of him unless he really does well, and they may even bring in someone to replace Gauthier who will play over him as well.
I have a feeling Aaltonen is our 13th forward next year. C+LW+PK+ skill = suitable injury replacement for 8 different forwards, no one else in the org can touch his versatility and readiness combo

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I have a feeling Aaltonen is our 13th forward next year. C+LW+PK+ skill = suitable injury replacement for 8 different forwards, no one else in the org can touch his versatility and readiness combo

Since I believe he is waiver exempt, I would think they'd prefer to give him consistent playing time if they can as Marlies 1C. Kind of like Johnsson last year. If someone is seriously injured, they may consider him first though.

If he's waiver eligible though, then for sure. If the Leafs trade Martin or Gauthier, he could definitely be a depth forward. Should add that he also plays RW at times. Otherwise we'll probably just sign UFA's to replace whomever we trade.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Mattinen and Hamilton are done. Lost 4-2 to Regina. Regina vs. Acadie-Bathurst (they really turned things around in 3 years) for the Memorial Cup.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think I would be disappointed to see Mattinen get an ELC at this point.

Not that I would be disappointed to see him get an ELC, but I would be puzzled to know why he, and not Middleton nor Desrocher, would have earned one given he is almost certainly the worst of the three.

All three should have been (or should be in the future) AHL contract guys if we have the chance. Similar to Marchment, I can see all three earning an ELC once they get some more development time, possibly starting in the ECHL. Desrocher is at Western right now, but there is nothing stopping him from leaving if we give him a good AHL offer. He can always go back if things don't work out.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Since I believe he is waiver exempt, I would think they'd prefer to give him consistent playing time if they can as Marlies 1C. Kind of like Johnsson last year. If someone is seriously injured, they may consider him first though.

If he's waiver eligible though, then for sure. If the Leafs trade Martin or Gauthier, he could definitely be a depth forward. Should add that he also plays RW at times. Otherwise we'll probably just sign UFA's to replace whomever we trade.
He will be turning 25 soon. If he wins a spot I think you keep him up.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I was thinking the same, but my guess was more that he'll get the #4LW spot next to Lindholm and someone like Brown.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Should I have offered a respectful response to someone who claimed I wasn't mocked (him being one of the mockers) and then agreed I was mocked, but wouldn't have been mocked if I hadn't pointed out the mocking some time after the mocking had taken place:huh: Standup comedians kill for that kind of material.
Lol idk the backstory but really doubt you were mocked for saying sign Johnsson long term since a ton of us would love to, it was probably just the cap hit or something was the issue

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Nobody mocked you.

Most people agreed that it would make sense to get him signed to some term. People disagreed with you on the dollar valuation.

Exactly my sense on this.

I didn't disagree with the dollar evaluation (in a sense) that @Boutette brought up. My point was that they didn't need to do it this off-season. If and that's a big "if" he plays the full season and we all feel the same way about him next off-season, then make the offer then.

Reactions: LeafChief

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Before call up, 25 points in 16 games (1.56ppg). Playoffs, 15 points in 9 games (1.66ppg). Andreas Johnsson hasn't caught fire in the playoffs, he has been red hot since February.

Reactions: Lauro and LeafChief

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Exactly my sense on this.

I didn't disagree with the dollar evaluation (in a sense) that @Boutette brought up. My point was that they didn't need to do it this off-season. If and that's a big "if" he plays the full season and we all feel the same way about him next off-season, then make the offer then.

Sure, we wouldn't need to do it this off season, if Johnsson wasn't eligible for arbitration after next season. The fact that he is throws a slight wrench into the works. Should he do as well as some of us think he can this coming season, he suddenly has a lot of leverage and the CBA starts working for him.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Wow good job Marlies!!

I wish I had more time to catch the AHL games this year.

Is Andreas really dominating as boldly as the stats show? Any insight please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad