Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Johnsson looks like a top 6 nhl winger playing in the AHL.

He reminds me a lot of Hagelin. High energy player that is capable offensively and can fit anywhere in your lineup and he will have some form of positive impact.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Johnsson looks like a top 6 nhl winger playing in the AHL.

Thanks, that’s really encouraging! I’m so glad he’s making big strides, guy is a gamer!

I remember when he first came over to NA I was so bloody excited and then he got destroyed in his second (I think) game and I was so worried. So so so happy for the kid! Keep rolling Andreas!!!

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Thanks, that’s really encouraging! I’m so glad he’s making big strides, guy is a gamer!

I remember when he first came over to NA I was so bloody excited and then he got destroyed in his second (I think) game and I was so worried. So so so happy for the kid! Keep rolling Andreas!!!
I don't think its crazy at this point to suggest Johnsson can slide into JVR's minutes next year.

Is he going to replace all 30+ of JVR's goals? Probably not. But he will bring more speed and defensive awareness. I can see him scoring 15-20 in a full season (as a rookie, no less).

Reactions: 95

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Gotta love the dolts on hfboards. Phantoms just got swept despite Lyon playing incredible hockey and the Flyers Hfboards base is saying that Johnsson isn't a top 10 prospect on their team. I hope nothing but the worst for the flyers.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Justin Bourne once tweeted that Dubas told Johnsson that he has the tools to be as good as Arvidsson.

This was back when Bourne was the video coach with the Marlies.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Justin Bourne once tweeted that Dubas told Johnsson that he has the tools to be as good as Arvidsson.

This was back when Bourne was the video coach with the Marlies.
From what I remember it was at a team dinner or something and Dubas said something along the lines of "What's the difference between you and Arvidsson? What's stopping you becoming the next Arvidsson?" Don't remember exactly what it was.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From what I remember it was at a team dinner or something and Dubas said something along the lines of "What's the difference between you and Arvidsson? What's stopping you becoming the next Arvidsson?" Don't remember exactly what it was.

Let's hope he then turned around to Justin Holl and asked him what's stopping him becoming the next Parayko?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Gotta love the dolts on hfboards. Phantoms just got swept despite Lyon playing incredible hockey and the Flyers Hfboards base is saying that Johnsson isn't a top 10 prospect on their team. I hope nothing but the worst for the flyers.
To be fair to them for a very long time very few leafs posters ranked Johnsson in our top 10 prospects

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I've only caught a handfull of Marlies games but everytime I watch Holl looks like a guy who could play in NHL.

Can skate, handle the puck, makes efficient pass's, has good size and has some offensive ability.

Someone who's watched him more whats his defensive game like and his hockeysense?

He has the skillset to play in the league.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I've only caught a handfull of Marlies games but everytime I watch Holl looks like a guy who could play in NHL.

Can skate, handle the puck, makes efficient pass's, has good size and has some offensive ability.

Someone who's watched him more whats his defensive game like and his hockeysense?

I've liked Holl from he arrived here and he's learning and adjusting to the pro game well.
Personally I think he can become an NHL player for all the reasons you mentioned.
His defensive game is ok. Good positioning and his stick placement is getting better as he goes along.

Reactions: weems

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The big thing I read is that he doesn't have a mean bone in his body, and it rubs some coaches the wrong way. Sometimes it looks like he doesn't care because he's not as intense. Also, he's had a bit of tough playoff run, but he's been tasked to play a lot defensive zone starts.

I do think he's got NHL skillset and quality but I'm not sure to what level. I think he's paid his dues and will very likely get a long look in training camp.

Reactions: weems

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

The biggest flaw I keep hearing of him is he's just too darn nice to be a big mean Dman in the NHL. :laugh:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Liljegren and shockingly Marincin have been our most impressive defensemen to me. Dermott has been underwhelming unfortunately

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Despite being roundly mocked and pilloried by people here, looks like I'm not the only one who recognizes the benefits of taking a flier on Johnsson. He has exactly the qualities this team needs so it stands to reason its worth it to take a tiny risk and offer him a Brown/Hyman style extension.
For sure you try to give Johnsson term, I think with all our Capologists in the office now they'll recognize that as well

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think Liljegren and shockingly Marincin have been our most impressive defensemen to me. Dermott has been underwhelming unfortunately
I think thats almost a good thing. Dermott is the best d man, but others have been better, and we are going to the final.
So when we have d men outplaying Dermott, that means they have stepped up their game.

Keefe for some reason benched Lilly when up by 1, and put Holl with Dermott. I didnt like that decision.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I dont think Dermott being underwhelming is that shocking.

He played ALOT of intense hockey for us and was a regular and gets sent to a lesser league right after.

I'm not saying hes intentionally mailing it in or anything but A.) He could be really tired from alot of hockey and B.) See's or knows hes a mainstay on our big club next season and therefore doesnt have the urgency or intensity of some others.

I know in a perfect world you'd send a guy down and he'd light it up because he's the best player but fatigue and other things could be playing a huge role in his form.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I’d gladly give Johnsson 6 years on a lower cap hit.
Yep, I think he's a guaranteed 40 point player with potential for much more, so anything under 3.5-4 is good with me on a very long term contract

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I would be so happy to give johnsson the "jarnkrok" deal but with another year and a bit more cash. Give him 7 years 2.75 or 7 years 3 million.
Jarnkrok signed that as a 30 pt player and has become a great player (can be a 45 point center in terms of pace)

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
This board is so funny. I get totally hammered for suggesting we offer Johnsson 2.5 mil a year over 4 years as being totally too much to pay the guy and too long a term. Now people are going 6-7 years at 3-4 million a year and nary a whisper from those who attacked my suggestion. I now see my mistake:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->