Prospect Info: Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018 (continued) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
...and if they haven't made an offer as of yet? Have they made an offer?

The odds of an NHL team not giving an offer to a 2nd rounder are tiny unless they completely soured on him/ he retires/ is in jail. Middleton and Mattinen both got the BO's

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Rasanen stressed how homesick he was in the season IIRC. So this move makes sense for him personally.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The odds of an NHL team not giving an offer to a 2nd rounder are tiny unless they completely soured on him/ he retires/ is in jail. Middleton and Mattinen both got the BO's

Agreed.

Rasanen is with the Marlies right now on their taxi squad. This isn't a team that has completely soured on him at all.

Reactions: LeafChief

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I'm sorry but I think most of the giant ds the leafs drafted will likely fail, at least with the Leafs organization. Looks like Godeev is the one that has the biggest chance making the Leafs in the future

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I'm sorry but I think most of the giant ds the leafs drafted will likely fail, at least with the Leafs organization. Looks like Godeev is the one that has the biggest chance making the Leafs in the future

I think Rasanen has a very good chance of making the nhl. He’s a good puck mover for his size and he’s very physical.
Everyone has their ups and downs and I think a few years of development will be good for him.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Gordeev is one of our most intriguing prospects. Played forward for most of his life up until the start of his OHL career. Has all the tools you want in a modern day defenseman too. He could probably get 40PTS in Flint next year, which would be quite impressive considering the state of that team.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They've probably made a legitimate offer on Rasanen.

The thing is, Jokerit is in the KHL, which has the no-transfer rule? Why do they say we only get extended to 2021? It's extended until he decides to leave the KHL, which could be indefinitely.

It's not unlike Fabrice Herzog. Now he was drafted out of the NLA, which could play into it, but he came to the CHL, played a bit in the AHL, and then went back and we still own his rights 5 years later.

This is the right move. Kingston is going to go into rebuild mode and it is tough finding new homes for Imports, especially ones who have had trouble adjusting in the first place. He gets to go home, play against better competition, likely still get some decent ice time, and we get some more time to see his big body develop. We will not need him on the Marlies for the next couple of years, especially if they decide Mattinen and Lindgren are in the cards starting after next year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Gordeev is one of our most intriguing prospects. Played forward for most of his life up until the start of his OHL career. Has all the tools you want in a modern day defenseman too. He could probably get 40PTS in Flint next year, which would be quite impressive considering the state of that team.

40 points is not going to be enough for him to earn an ELC though... Not unless he's one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
40 points is not going to be enough for him to earn an ELC though... Not unless he's one of the best defensive defensemen in the league.

Where did you get this 40 point number from? Lots of defenders don't hit that mark and become solid NHLers...

Brandon Carlo and Radko Gudas come to mind...

Reactions: Boutette

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Where did you get this 40 point number from? Lots of defenders don't hit that mark and become solid NHLers...

Brandon Carlo and Radko Gudas come to mind...

If Gordeev becomes as good as them defensively, then there may be an exception.

But then again, Middleton was performing at a high level as a defensive defenseman in the OHL and he wasn't enough for this team.

Neither was Desrocher for that matter, and he was able to back his defensive game with production as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

That's good. He should be on the Marlies next year. Whether it's in a top 12 role is another question, but at the very least he should be a rotation option in those 3-in-3's. His chances go up if Dzierkals decides to go back to the KHL, because he's probably the guy the Marlies are going to have penciled in for the 4th line RW job next year.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I don't think there's a reason to be too pessimistic about Rasanen just yet.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

But then again, Middleton was performing at a high level as a defensive defenseman in the OHL and he wasn't enough for this team.

Neither was Desrocher for that matter, and he was able to back his defensive game with production as well.
Middleton being set free does surprise me a bit. Less than it would have if Lou and Hunter were still here. But, I think he won 3 coaches awards and was captain of his team his 2 post-draft seasons. He's a decent enough prospect, even if his upside is low.

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013

Do the moves with Rasenan and Korshkov also protect them from the Seattle expansion draft?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Do the moves with Rasenan and Korshkov also protect them from the Seattle expansion draft?

Probably not, but I would not be upset if they were taken over some of the other guys we likely have to expose. Even if Korshkov turns out as expected, he's more or less just a big-bodied support player.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

That's a stretch.

Reactions: 3headeddragon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad