Prime Jonathan Toews or Current Auston Matthews

Prime Jonathan Toews or Current Auston Matthews

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Being a 1C on those teams makes you the engine, not a passenger.

Plenty of stacked teams DON'T win. Toews is a winner.

Yes, and Toews happened to be a #1C on some stacked teams. Does he even have the opportunity to play in big games if team around him isn’t that good? Probably not. It goes both ways.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Well, Andersen is a big reason why they lose in the playoffs. So there’s that.
And Matthews not scoring a single point in game 7s/game 5s isn’t a reason?

Considering all of their series have gone to the wire, and he hasn’t produced in any of them, he deserves a ton of blame.

Outside of 2018, the Leafs have scored 1 goal or FEWER goals in every single game 7/game 5. That is abysmal. If Matthews is as great as you say he is, that cannot happen.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yes, and Toews happened to be a #1C on some stacked teams. Does he even have the opportunity to play in big games if team around him isn’t that good? Probably not. It goes both ways.

Yes, eventually, if he's that good, probably. I can't think of many elite players who never even had a shot, can you? This is just something people say to cheapen Toews. You're oddly dug in on this. No one is saying he's a one-man team and no one can honestly look at past Cup winners and pretend they're not stacked in some way.

As I mentioned and you've dodged from myself and plenty of other posters, there are a LOT of 'stacked teams' that don't go all the way every year, and associated 1Cs whose legacies take a beating because of it. See: Joe Thornton.

None of that changes what I said: Toews is a winner and the engine. Everything else is just noise to tarnish his accomplishments.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yes, eventually, if he's that good, probably. I can't think of many elite players who never even had a shot, can you? This is just something people say to cheapen Toews. You're oddly dug in on this.

As I mentioned and you've dodged from myself and plenty of other posters, there are a LOT of 'stacked teams' that don't go all the way every year, and associated 1Cs whose legacies take a beating because of it. See: Joe Thornton.

None of that changes what I said: Toews is a winner and the engine. Everything else is just noise.

Well, I fully expect him - engine and everything - to drag the Hawks all the way to Cup next season. After all, he’s a winner and can get it done.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So, the Hawks didn’t have Keith, draft Kane, bring in Q, sign Campbell, or sign Hossa?
I don’t think you’re understanding my point here? Yes they brought those players in, but Keith, Kane, and Toews were the big 3 who took the Hawks out of the basement so that they could be a good team. Which in turn made it possible to sign guys like Soupy and Hossa.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Toews. All the jokes about intangibles aside, you win Cups with top two way centers like him, Bergeron and Kopitar. You really got to see his value on those Team Canada teams. He was always one of, if not the best, forward along with Crosby.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Not saying he didn’t play a role, but... Keith, Crawford, Hossa, Kane, and a really good supporting cast.

And referencing a Team Canada, where he was like their 10-12th best forward. Neat...

Uh.... did you watch the Olympics in 2010, when he won best forward at the tournament, or 2014, when he led Team Canada in ice-time among forwards?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Uh.... did you watch the Olympics in 2010, when he won best forward at the tournament, or 2014, when he led Team Canada in ice-time among forwards?

Because we all know Babcock is rational with how he plays his forwards/lines.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not saying he didn’t play a role, but... Keith, Crawford, Hossa, Kane, and a really good supporting cast.

And referencing a Team Canada, where he was like their 10-12th best forward. Neat...

In fairness, Toews was used as their top defensive center and got just about as much ice time as Crosby, when you factored in his PK minutes. He wasn't just a bit player on a stacked Team Canada.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wait... you mean a player can’t do everything by himself - willing his team to victory - and needs the support of other players?

Pretty much literally the entire first page was responses to you acknowledging this.

Is there a reason you're building a village of strawmen? What is your grumpiness with JT?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Pretty much literally the entire first page was responses to you acknowledging this.

Is there a reason you're building a village of strawmen? What is your grumpiness with JT?

He’s overrated, which is saying something considering he’s actually a very good player.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Because we all know Babcock is rational with how he plays his forwards/lines.

Babcock didn't award Toews best forward in 2010.

As far as ice-time in 2014, he was the best defensive forward on the best defensive team in the Olympics. I can take issue with a lot of Babcock decisions over the years, but putting a prime Toews against the best players on the other team is not one of them.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Babcock held them back in the playoffs...

Babcock didn't hurt them anywhere near as much as the fact that their best matchup center got himself suspended two years in a row.

Honestly, the Leafs probably win the series against Boston in 2019 if they had Matthews, Tavares, Kadri down the middle.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yes, eventually, if he's that good, probably. I can't think of many elite players who never even had a shot, can you? This is just something people say to cheapen Toews. You're oddly dug in on this. No one is saying he's a one-man team and no one can honestly look at past Cup winners and pretend they're not stacked in some way.

None of that changes what I said: Toews is a winner and the engine. Everything else is just noise to tarnish his accomplishments.

Even just looking at the individual playoff performances of Toews and Thornton in contrast with their regular seasons during their primes it's easy to see one individually stepped it up and the other didn't, and not surprisingly the one who stepped up got rewarded. Thornton's best playoff run was 21 points in 24 games coming from a guy who put up back to back 90+ assists seasons, then Toews had 29 points in 22 games in Chicago's first cup win with a career high of 69 points. That's only considering their offensive contributions as well. Toews was consistently among the best if not the best player in numerous big games in the playoffs and internationally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad