GDT: Preseason Game 6: Penguins

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
When your best goal scoring prospect doesn't develop and then you draft a guy like Kasper with no offense it really sets us back. I'm loving our young blueliners and am excited about Danielson, but I have no idea who the hell is going to score goals.
1) Both Raymond and Kasper are just getting started. Pump the brakes on shoveling any dirt on their goal scoring graves.

2) Between Larkin and Debrincat, I expect something on the order of 160 points this season. Not to mention the rest of the forwards.

3) Detroit is trending in the direction of an absolute embarrassment of riches in the young defense department. They're completely annihilating the curve of what is supposed to be the hardest facet of the lineup to develop. This phenomenal problem to have tends to skew things a bit for how people can grade the kids up front.

Give it time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And he averages <12 min a night per game for his career, so 99% of the time he’s not playing on the top line.

Yeah, that's his place. Maybe could try him 1-2 minutes more, but guy still stays at middle6.

I don't get this top line dreaming at all.

I would try Sprong at 1st PP as the 4th forward (with the other top line guys), though. We should definitely test that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I just want to know: Am I allowed to be a little happy-ish that the team is 4 of 6 in preseason so far?

Yeah... what I'm most happy is how all goals scored against us have been mostly AHL defencemen doing mistakes.

Tuomisto at this game, McIsaac at Chicago....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Offensive stars will join, when Yzerman will build this a legit team. That's the great plan, the YzerPlan.

DeBrincat was first, and the "next eichel" is next and then "next mark stone" will join, and some "next pietrangelo" is get from UFA....

That's one way to build. Act like an expansion team. Make it a legit team, have loads of cap space, and players will be interested.

And Yzerman is the final force, to get these guys join.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
When your best goal scoring prospect doesn't develop and then you draft a guy like Kasper with no offense it really sets us back. I'm loving our young blueliners and am excited about Danielson, but I have no idea who the hell is going to score goals.
It’s preseason, take a deep breath.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
1) Both Raymond and Kasper are just getting started. Pump the brakes on shoveling any dirt on their goal scoring graves.

2) Between Larkin and Debrincat, I expect something on the order of 160 points this season. Not to mention the rest of the forwards.

3) Detroit is trending in the direction of an absolute embarrassment of riches in the young defense department. They're completely annihilating the curve of what is supposed to be the hardest facet of the lineup to develop. This phenomenal problem to have tends to skew things a bit for how people can grade the kids up front.

Give it time.

And they can trade some of those riches for a forward who can score. Some of these offense first teams are going to be desperate for even halfway decent defense prospects.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
And they can trade some of those riches for a forward who can score. Some of these offense first teams are going to be desperate for even halfway decent defense prospects.
Apparently a rumor has surfaced about the Leafs actually shopping Nylander and Detroit was 1 of 4 teams that apparently acquired. Nylander for Raymond +. Would you do it? He still young and also another 40 goal scorer.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
People need to chill on Kasper. He didn't skate all summer due to injury and is clearly playing a super safe game because he knows he is probably not making this team in a scoring role this year. Not to mention that he has all of 1 game of NA ice experience. I do think he can use a full season in the AHL so he can work on pushing his offense but I'm not worried yet.

Ray appears a bit snake bit but judging his entire career by a sophomore slump season (standard for a lot of players) and a few preseason games is silly.

My preference for lines to start this season is as follows:

DBC-Lark- Sprong
Ras-Compher- Ray
Fabbri-Copp-Perron
Kostin-Veleno-Berggren

I think all of those lines have shown some chemistry between at least a pair and have offensive potential with at least one defensively sound player per line. I'm a little concerned about Sprong on the 1st line but I'm willing to see how it works.

On defense I think Ed should make the team although I'm not sure he actually will.

Walman- Seider
Ed- Petry
Maata- Holl/Chia/Ghost (whomever is playing well).

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just saw Xavier Ouellet scored the first goal. I had no idea he is still playing. Is he mostly a depth / AHL guy for Pittsburgh or is he being given a tryout?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This. I had high hopes for Raymond but it seems his peak was his rookie year. He looks like a (maybe) average second liner as of right now.

We have a handful of decent forward prospects but none with super high offensive upside.
You say that with a sample size of two seasons? Really? People are nuts to be writing him off, especially based on pre f***ing season hockey.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Just saw Xavier Ouellet scored the first goal. I had no idea he is still playing. Is he mostly a depth / AHL guy for Pittsburgh or is he being given a tryout?
He's an AHL guy at this point. He's in the 2nd year of a 2 yr deal. He hasn't seen any NHL action in a few seasons. (last NHL action was 6 games in the 20/21 season)

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
What number would Kane wear if we do sign him? 88 is Sprongs number
Probably 11.

he chose 88 for his birth year, he was born 11/19 so 19 is out.

Defence wins champions. Stop worrying about the offence.
Hard to not worry about the offense when that was literally the one thing the coaches and stevie said we need to do better at in the offseason and that's why they went after dbc, sprong, etc..........

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Apparently a rumor has surfaced about the Leafs actually shopping Nylander and Detroit was 1 of 4 teams that apparently acquired. Nylander for Raymond +. Would you do it? He still young and also another 40 goal scorer.
where was this rumor circulating at? HF Boards or an actual place lol.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Probably 11.

he chose 88 for his birth year, he was born 11/19 so 19 is out.

Hard to not worry about the offense when that was literally the one thing the coaches and stevie said we need to do better at in the offseason and that's why they went after dbc, sprong, etc..........
Probably 88...

Daniel freaking Sprong is not the guy that's going to cause one of the greatest American players in history to change his number lol.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
People need to chill on Kasper. He didn't skate all summer due to injury and is clearly playing a super safe game because he knows he is probably not making this team in a scoring role this year. Not to mention that he has all of 1 game of NA ice experience. I do think he can use a full season in the AHL so he can work on pushing his offense but I'm not worried yet.

Ray appears a bit snake bit but judging his entire career by a sophomore slump season (standard for a lot of players) and a few preseason games is silly.

My preference for lines to start this season is as follows:

DBC-Lark- Sprong
Ras-Compher- Ray
Fabbri-Copp-Perron
Kostin-Veleno-Berggren

I think all of those lines have shown some chemistry between at least a pair and have offensive potential with at least one defensively sound player per line. I'm a little concerned about Sprong on the 1st line but I'm willing to see how it works.

On defense I think Ed should make the team although I'm not sure he actually will.

Walman- Seider
Ed- Petry
Maata- Holl/Chia/Ghost (whomever is playing well).
The crazy part is, that lineup you put up makes the most complete sense top to bottom. I am not sure why people are so discouraged by sprong on the top line. Yeah, I get it, he hasn't played there for long before and he averaged 12 min a night on other teams; however, he was not in our system with our players. Maybe he has great chemistry with larkin? Maybe now larkin on a 3-on-2 has an option to with sprong or dbc and they both have a hard accurate shot.

ras compher ray should 100% be the second line regardless. I am not sure why that doesn't make sense and am willing to hear rebuttles. I just don't see ray staying on the first line even though I wish they gelled immediately. Could have been a filthy line.

With Ed, I am not sure if he should make the team. Every game I have watched with him in it, he has taken multiple penalties and they weren't good ones either. Everything else he is doing great at, but if he does that once or twice a game against a edmonton, washington, toronto teams, we better have the most elite PK known to mankind.

Probably 88...

Daniel freaking Sprong is not the guy that's going to cause one of the greatest American players in history to change his number lol.
absolutely not. Kane needs to earn it sire!

You say that with a sample size of two seasons? Really? People are nuts to be writing him off, especially based on pre f***ing season hockey.
and the fact he is only like 21 lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad