GDT: Preseason Game 5: Coyotes @ kings - 7:30 PM - NHLN

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So supposedly this is on teevee, I have my doubts and think we might end up blacked out but I guess we'll find out.

DKw9YV5UIAAASCI.jpg:large

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
That's good news regarding OEL. I was panicking for awhile there.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In the past you'd get blacked out of a national broadcast on NHLN even if there was no local broadcast.

The one thing we might have going for us is we're on the road so that might override blackout rules.

I'm just guessing. But there was a similar issue for Vegas earlier in the preseason.

Reactions: Yandover

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
T
In the past you'd get blacked out of a national broadcast on NHLN even if there was no local broadcast.

The one thing we might have going for us is we're on the road so that might override blackout rules.

I'm just guessing. But there was a similar issue for Vegas earlier in the preseason.
That would incredibly stupid, and very NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocchet said at the beginning of training camp he wanted to trim his roster as fast as possible. Well, here we are two games left and we still have 29 players in camp, including Rinaldo who Tocchet said he likes. I thought for sure he would have the team set by now and start to work on chemistry and line combos. I could understand it if we didn't have the turn over we had, but this makes me nervous. I mean, Rinaldo still in camp and being considered is very disturbing. I know we are a soft team but I would rather have Crouse and Fischer in the line up than Rinaldo.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
And with this game (particularly since it's televised), another step is taken in making the world right again.

#thankGodOffseasonnearlyover

Last edited:

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Citing 29 players is not as inflated as it may seem. There are only 2 more major cuts to make at forward. The goalie cuts are a formality and the only reason Mermis is still around is likely because of OEL's status. The major question now is who will those two forwards be? Toc has had nothing but positive things to say about both Kempe and Rinaldo, and at the same time there are clearly unnamed players that he isn't pleased with.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Tocchet said at the beginning of training camp he wanted to trim his roster as fast as possible. Well, here we are two games left and we still have 29 players in camp, including Rinaldo who Tocchet said he likes. I thought for sure he would have the team set by now and start to work on chemistry and line combos. I could understand it if we didn't have the turn over we had, but this makes me nervous. I mean, Rinaldo still in camp and being considered is very disturbing. I know we are a soft team but I would rather have Crouse and Fischer in the line up than Rinaldo.

Pretty sure Crouse will be in the line up. Tocc made a comment about some guys feeling entitled. Think about the way Tocc played, i think he is looking for guys that hustle in all 3 zones. he made a comment about Strome needing to be better on D too. I suspect Duclair/Strome don't make the NHL roster. Duclair could be traded or healthy scratched since he would have to clear wavers (I think?). Everyone wants all the young guys with high point production potential to be anointed roster spots.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Citing 29 players is not a inflated as it may seem. There are only 2 more major cuts to make at forward. The goalie cuts are a formality and the only reason Mermis is still around is likely because of OEL's status. The major question now is who will those two forwards be? Toc has had nothing but positive things to say about both Kempe and Rinaldo, and at the same time there are clearly unnamed players that he isn't pleased with.

I would have had my team set, considering the circumstances. We are not a veteran team that is looking to fill a spot or two on the third or fourth line. Tocc knows his players better than me, so hopefully he can get it settled and they come out of the gate hot.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pretty sure Crouse will be in the line up. Tocc made a comment about some guys feeling entitled. Think about the way Tocc played, i think he is looking for guys that hustle in all 3 zones. he made a comment about Strome needing to be better on D too. I suspect Duclair/Strome don't make the NHL roster. Duclair could be traded or healthy scratched since he would have to clear wavers (I think?). Everyone wants all the young guys with high point production potential to be anointed roster spots.

I know what you are saying, but have them sent down already. With the turn over we had we have to start building chemistry. We aren't a veteran team that knows each other or has played with each other and you are only adding one or two players.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think RT's most concerned with building a foundation of ideals at this point. Might be for the best (long term), speed/energy - floaters need not apply.

We'll see.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I know what you are saying, but have them sent down already. With the turn over we had we have to start building chemistry. We aren't a veteran team that knows each other or has played with each other and you are only adding one or two players.

Agreed, but so many new players is making it tougher to determine roster spots. I think it will take 20 games for Tocc to figure out line combinations anyway. In that time, guys will be up and down from the AHL, healthy scratched, until Tocc figures it out. The opening night roster is just a guess at a starting point. I expect there to be more juggling of line combinations, players scratched, up and down from the AHL, etc, more then Tip changed it up for sure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, but so many new players is making it tougher to determine roster spots. I think it will take 20 games for Tocc to figure out line combinations anyway. In that time, guys will be up and down from the AHL, healthy scratched, until Tocc figures it out. The opening night roster is just a guess at a starting point. I expect there to be more juggling of line combinations, players scratched, up and down from the AHL, etc, more then Tip changed it up for sure.

I think you are right, but this team has to get off to a good start.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think you are right, but this team has to get off to a good start.

I don't think many people are expecting us to make the playoffs this year. I predicted a rough start to the season so I'm not sure I agree that we have to get off to a good start. I mean if we're aiming for the playoffs we do, but that's not my expectation, so I won't mind if we don't.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't care much about the record this year either but a good start will certainly help capitalize on the buzz surrounding the recent changes and get more people in the building. The style we will play and the added talent, especially the youth that Tocc seems willing to play will make the team more enjoyable to watch but this town only supports a winner. Of course higher attendance will go against the narrative they are trying to push for an arena which is probably why they've done next to no marketing even though the changes create a great story line to market. I'm just looking forward to having more fun at the games.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I assume Rinaldo is around just in case LA gets stupid tonight.

Some good news though is that the Sabres claimed Jordan Nolan on waivers yesterday, so that dink is now out of the division at least.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Looks fairly close to what our roster might look like. No duke is interesting since just about every other big name offensive player is in.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
That is an interesting omission of Duke. But I am very excited to see how this line up fares on the ice. My assumption is that after this game, the roster will really take shape.
Also agree that I wouldn't prefer having Rinaldo in the Coyote's lineup at all.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
That is an interesting omission of Duke. But I am very excited to see how this line up fares on the ice. My assumption is that after this game, the roster will really take shape.
Also agree that I wouldn't prefer having Rinaldo in the Coyote's lineup at all.
I'd prefer to not have Rinaldo anywhere near this organization at all after his hit on Doan when he was with Philly.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Roster for tonight..... from the pre-game article.

The only forwards not in that lineup are Rinaldo, Duclair, and Cousins. I have a strong feeling that this might be the projected lineup, those three player are likely to be cut, sit or traded before opening night. Given the defensive lineup this makes sense. It is strange that they are keeping someone like Rinaldo around and they're not even going to play him tonight. Are they really going to cut him without giving him another chance? Why keep him around in the first place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad