GDT: Preseason Game 5: Coyotes @ kings - 7:30 PM - NHLN

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
TIL your ignore list needs to be rebuilt because it wasn't saved in the move.

Reactions: doaner

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Schenn and Clendening were definite weakpoints on the back end tonight. The nice thing is we have options soon.

Would like to see this line up...

OEL - Hammer
Chychrun - Demers
Connauton - Goligoski

When we get back to full strength.

One bad game and Schenn is out of the club? Goligoski has been average for a year, and never impressed me on the R. Package him up with Duclair and get something/s for them.

Reactions: doaner

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I didn't get a chance to watch, unfortunately. But it sounds like the team had some bright spots but then got mired in penalties and running around a bit. Is that kind of the summary of play?

Keller getting that PP goal did make me happy to see. Had the updates on my phone and I was pleased there was no shutout haha. Still, not allowed to lose to LA, ever.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I didn't get a chance to watch, unfortunately. But it sounds like the team had some bright spots but then got mired in penalties and running around a bit. Is that kind of the summary of play?

Keller getting that PP goal did make me happy to see. Had the updates on my phone and I was pleased there was no shutout haha. Still, not allowed to lose to LA, ever.

Yes. LA got all the chicken shit powerplays in the 1st period and it really screwed us up. Even uppers didn't come until the 3rd period. Too late by then. I was pretty pissed off by late 2nd period that the officials hadn't evened things up as far as horse shit ticky tack penalties by then.

We weren't making a ton of mistakes for the most part but LA was definitely capitalizing on them. Mostly guys played well but not well as a group. Decent individual performances for the most part. Poor showing as a team. A couple of guys had really rough games, namely Schenn and Clendening. Domingue had one really bad softy and one borderline goal.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Thank you for the breakdown. That does give me some confidence going forward. I expect the team to have some chemistry problems to start a bit and hopefully they can get that built up and convert those solid individual performances into a good team performance.

Perhaps part of that is also trying to show the coaching staff they belong and doing too much individually. I can't say though, didn't see it lol.

Oct. 5th can't come soon enough!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I recorded the game to watch it twice, just so I could rewind and watch it more thoroughly. I like a lot of things we did, we certainly had a lot more puck possession that we typically do against the Kings and we usually get out shot 2-1. Well, we were out shooting them and carrying the play until we began the express lane to the penalty box.

I thought Perlini was really good, I thought Stepan was hot and cold all night, some really good shifts and some shifts where it looked he was trying to do too much and got out of position. I like how he talks though. Schenn as everyone said was terrible and he was worse than that...but he was serviceable last year so I'm not going to jump all over him for 1 bad game, everyone has a stinker now and then.

Keller was good, he and Domi fit together, and Stepan will probably end up being the recipient of his first 25+ goal season playing with those 2 guys. And yes, we will be much better when OEL & Chychrun are playing as the 1st pass out of the zone wasn't crisp. I like Hammer, and Demers was ok, I'm more worried about Goligoski who seemingly has forgotten how to play defense.

Overall, a lot of positives.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
and whoever said the stuff about Perlini as #11 and Kempe as #29 was spot on, but more with Perlini wearning #11, because the long hair on Kempe made it easy to not confuse him with Perlini from last year, but seeing #11 move fast was a little confusing.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Keller getting that PP goal did make me happy to see.
That goal was basically all Domi. He made a beautiful cross ice pass that had Keller looking at wide open net. That said I've watched enough Yotes blow wide open nets so it was still nice to see Keller bury it and take it high even on the off chance Quick did slide over in time.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth and rt

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
That goal was basically all Domi. He made a beautiful cross ice pass that had Keller looking at wide open net. That said I've watched enough Yotes blow wide open nets so it was still nice to see Keller bury it and take it high even on the off chance Quick did slide over in time.

That a good point! Seen enough of a player missing a chance set up from someone like Domi to appreciate when it is buried. It's a skill this team needs to build on, finishing chances! Thanks for the further info... glad Domi is being Domi too.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Agreed on Goligoski, ctwin.
:huh: I didn't see where he mentioned Goligoski? Goligoski did bobble the puck in front of the net, while Schenn was taking care of business to the right of the net, but it was Schenn who got blasted here for being out of position, after he tried to cover for Goligoski's mishap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->