GDT: Preseason Game #1... 9/26 vs. Pittsburgh

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
What are you expecting out of him? He's not going to come in and be Lidstrom but I don't see anything in his game that is worse than Chiarot.

He would be a rookie, he's going to make mistakes. I'm not hellbent on him making the team, sure I'd like if he forced his way on but he seems pretty damn poised to me and had a number of good plays in the d zone that stood out to me. Hell, just the ground he can cover when joining the rush and getting back with his skating and reach is something this team does not have. What specific warts and or breakdowns did you see? The only one that stood out was he lost the front of the net and pinched in too far to the board to help on the terrible giveaway by Berggren. Other than that I didn't see much.
I don't expect him to be perfect. There will be mistakes for sure, but they need to be small mistakes. And there needs to be improvement on there being less and less of them.

Yes, the goal on the the giveaway by Berggren is one that stood out. Even with the turnover, if he played it properly, it still should have resulted in a mediocre at best chance. Instead, it turned into an A++ chance with 2 guys all alone in front of the net.

Here's the other one that really stood out to me:

Yes, it starts as a decent chance for the penguins after a Petry turnover. That 3 on 2 didn't look especially threatening, but Ed let the man with the puck by, didn't block the passing lane, and didn't cover the guy in front. It turned it into another A++ chance for them with a guy all alone in front of the net with the puck.

To me, those are major mistakes that NHL players should simply not make.

I know there were some other plays where I wasn't happy with his defending, but not huge mistakes. I think in his 9 games last year, his man ended up scoring or with a great scoring chance. It happened way too often to where he didn't look ready to me, and these other minor mistakes in 1 preseason don't indicate that he's eliminated or reduced them yet.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't expect him to be perfect. There will be mistakes for sure, but they need to be small mistakes. And there needs to be improvement on there being less and less of them.

Yes, the goal on the the giveaway by Berggren is one that stood out. Even with the turnover, if he played it properly, it still should have resulted in a mediocre at best chance. Instead, it turned into an A++ chance with 2 guys all alone in front of the net.

Here's the other one that really stood out to me:

Yes, it starts as a decent chance for the penguins after a Petry turnover. That 3 on 2 didn't look especially threatening, but Ed let the man with the puck by, didn't block the passing lane, and didn't cover the guy in front. It turned it into another A++ chance for them with a guy all alone in front of the net with the puck.

To me, those are major mistakes that NHL players should simply not make.

I know there were some other plays where I wasn't happy with his defending, but not huge mistakes. I think in his 9 games last year, his man ended up scoring or with a great scoring chance. It happened way too often to where he didn't look ready to me, and these other minor mistakes in 1 preseason don't indicate that he's eliminated or reduced them yet.

No offense, but you are going to see a lot of sub-optimal defensive reads (and sloppy defensive play) in the preseason, especially in the first pre-season game. These guys haven't played a lot of hockey recently. Buckle up and prepare to be disappointed.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
No offense, but you are going to see a lot of sub-optimal defensive reads (and sloppy defensive play) in the preseason, especially in the first pre-season game. These guys haven't played a lot of hockey recently. Buckle up and prepare to be disappointed.
Right, and I'm not trying to bury him based solely on this one preseason game. My point was that I was surprised several people specifically highlighted him as a positive standout in this game when I thought he had several "sub-optimal defensive reads".

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Right, and I'm not trying to bury him based solely on this one preseason game. My point was that I was surprised several people specifically highlighted him as a positive standout in this game when I thought he had several "sub-optimal defensive reads".
I can't speak for others but perhaps it is a function of expectation. Personally I thought he looked fine, He wasn't dominate nor a deer in headlights. My expectations for him at this stage of the season though are admittedly modest coming off of the surgery. Ask me about him again at the 20 game mark (AHL or NHL).

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
It certainly beats a colonoscopy, amirite? :D

Hope you're feeling better and it's a great season to kick the rebuild forward.

I'll never forget waking up from the anesthesia to see a gorgeous nurse, while farting uncontrollably. Good times.

Anyway, Danielson is going to be my favorite Red Wing in the near future. I believe.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
This is not the compliment you might think it is

"You don't look worse than a corpse"
I guess I meant it as in, he's better than at least one defenseman that will automatically make the team because....reasons. I realize that isn't a compliment but I just meant he'd help the team more than some other players that will ultimately get dressed. Point taken though lol.

I guess ultimately my point is that NO ONE plays mistake free hockey. You have to tamper expectations a bit for a rookie, as they will make more mistakes. On the first goal Walman left his man wide open from that low to high pass...it happens. Forwards are going to beat defenseman and vice versa. Have to hope it's just a net positive for most if not all of your guys more often than not. I felt during my viewing Edvinsson's good outweighed the bad for the most part, and the bad will be fixed with time/coaching. I'm ok with him not being on the team fwiw and taking more time in GR, I just hope they're looking at it from a fair point of view with him and not keeping him buried when he's both ready and arguably better than at least a couple players on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRhoads

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
It certainly beats a colonoscopy, amirite? :D

Hope you're feeling better and it's a great season to kick the rebuild forward.
I am, thank you, and I have to say it was not as bad as I had anticipated, just like all my friends & family who've already had one told me. I was concerned the "prep" day would be too reminiscent of my bout with Salmonella decades ago, but it was nothing like that. No pain, no cramps, just... you turn into a faucet and get mighty tired of Gatorade.

And the actual procedure? What the heck did I care? I was night-night for it. So like everyone who's done it I say "Go do it. It's not a big deal. I mean, after all, who HASN'T woken up whilst someone's pulling something out of their tuckus?"

And I found out LAST night that it's hard to find highlights on Youtube from the ridiculous empty-stadium-fake-crowd-noise games of '20-'21, but it's not impossible. But don't do it. Yuck. To make up for it I watched the come-from-behind over Pittsburgh. That was nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad