GDT: Preseason Game #1... 9/26 vs. Pittsburgh

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
its called pacing yourself over a marathon season , conserving energy and lessening the chance of injury in a meaningless game . how you just watched how hard perron competes over the past few seasons then come in this thread bitching about him in a meaningless game is ridiculous
Past few seasons? Perron joined our team last year, so with a comment like that it makes me think that you don't watch games closely, but thanks for your reply!

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Perron is 35 years old and has been playing in the league for 18 seasons.

The only reason for him to even be in the lineup in preseason is to get some shifts at full game speed to work out the cobwebs and maybe break in some new equipment.

It doesn't make sense for him to go 100% effort.
Regardless of age and experience, he still looked terrible.

I understand wheres he's at with his career, but in my honest opinion he looked like he couldn't keep up tonight. Skating has never been his thing, but he looked noticeably slow in this game. I'm sure his legs will come, and yeah he's known for puck protection on the boards, and usually has great vision, but tonight he looked horrible. There are guys in my beer league that skate way better than him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I mean, being a professional hockey player, that gets paid millions of dollars to play, yeah I do believe he gives an "FFFF". He was wearing an A on his jersey, so hopefully he gave an FFFF.

He looked bad tonight. I get it, game 1 of the preseason, and it's not the end of the world, but he looked uninvolved and lazy, and made tons of dumb plays with the puck.

Vet players don't care about preseason other than just getting into game shape. If you think most vets care all that much, if at all, than you don't know much about pro hockey or people in general. Why wear yourself out or injure yourself when you are guaranteed to be on the team in games that mean exactly nothing?

Regardless of age and experience, he still looked terrible.

I understand wheres he's at with his career, but in my honest opinion he looked like he couldn't keep up tonight. Skating has never been his thing, but he looked noticeably slow in this game. I'm sure his legs will come, and yeah he's known for puck protection on the boards, and usually has great vision, but tonight he looked horrible. There are guys in my beer league that skate way better than him.

Perron could half ass it and still be miles ahead of your beer league friends. Even mindless talent-less NHL goons can skate circles around beer leaguers.

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
Perron can keep the puck in the zone. On a Larkin Perron DeBrincat line, DeBrincat is by far the weakest on the boards. Raymond isn't any better than DeBrincat.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Missed the game (recovering from colonoscopy today - i.e. watching a movie and eating real food by the shovelful) but watched the highlights.

Can't say much but man, it's good to be back in preseason.

Reactions: Konnan511
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Vet players don't care about preseason other than just getting into game shape. If you think most vets care all that much, if at all, than you don't know much about pro hockey or people in general. Why wear yourself out or injure yourself when you are guaranteed to be on the team in games that mean exactly nothing?

Perron could half ass it and still be miles ahead of your beer league friends. Even mindless talent-less NHL goons can skate circles around beer leaguers.
I live in Ontario...we have some good beer leagues here.

Last edited:

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
The first time I saw NHLers up close was watching a Thrashers practice as a kid. Was standing right at the glass and prime Kovy fired one at the glass near me. I still think about how much faster that puck went than I could ever have imagined. It's a totally different game in the show

Reactions: Oddbob

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Perron is 35 years old and has been playing in the league for 18 seasons.

The only reason for him to even be in the lineup in preseason is to get some shifts at full game speed to work out the cobwebs and maybe break in some new equipment.

It doesn't make sense for him to go 100% effort.
Not to be pedantic but he has played 16 seasons in the NHL. And thanks to injuries the equivalent of 12.9

But I agree, it's a marathon, not a sprint, he doesn't need to be going WFO in the preseason.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
The first time I saw NHLers up close was watching a Thrashers practice as a kid. Was standing right at the glass and prime Kovy fired one at the glass near me. I still think about how much faster that puck went than I could ever have imagined. It's a totally different game in the show
I remember the exact moment my fencing coach, a former Worlds' Gamer, went from "I'm just coaching around" to "hot and mean" on a guy. The separation was quite dynamic.

Reactions: Vector Cereal

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Doesn't matter. I live in Ontario as well and they have nothing on NHL players. I just saw 56 and 57 year old Wendel Clark and Al Iafrate long not in game shape last year in a Police/Fire vs Leafs Alumni and they weren't even going hard at all and were much better now than the fire and police who had regular beer leaguers playing, even 20 years after playing in the NHL.

You are suprememly underselling how much better NHL players are than regular folk.

Oct 18, 2006
Wallinder looked good. Looked confident.

I love Edvinsson. Love. He could eat 20 minutes a night easy. Looks great on both ends.

Ghost looked good offensively, really good, but he does make some careless plays that’ll probably drive me crazy.

Berggren was a bit up and down, some great stuff, some bad stuff. Lombardi struggled for rhythm; struggled on faceoffs and does look small. He was engaged but just couldn’t make much happen. Liked Soderblom.

Larkin looked outstanding. Petry was a so/so, DBC looked lively. Raymond was pretty meh. Rasmussen didn’t look like he’d missed a beat.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

I love Edvinsson. Love. He could eat 20 minutes a night easy. Looks great on both ends.

Ghost looked good offensively, really good, but he does make some careless plays that’ll probably drive me crazy.

Berggren was a bit up and down, some great stuff, some bad stuff. Lombardi struggled for rhythm; struggled on faceoffs and does look small. He was engaged but just couldn’t make much happen. Liked Soderblom.

Larkin looked outstanding. Petry was a so/so, DBC looked lively. Raymond was pretty meh. Rasmussen didn’t look like he’d missed a beat.
edvinsson looks like a young godzilla , to be that big and skate that good screams 1st pairing and maybe franchise dman . seider & edvinsson duo reminds me of robinson and savard duo = core of a dynasty

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeahhhhhh no. I play in a beer league with multiple former OHL/QMJHL players, at the high end theres some talent, lower end theres some guys who played travel hockey but never junior. The beer leagues youre talking about, Perron would make look stupid, its a whole different ball park. In the summer I skate with one of the better players in the AHL who isnt considered much of a skater at the pro level.... he turns it on and you can literally not touch him.

As for the game... I thought that was about as good of a debut for Nate Dawg as could be expected. Goal, finished a couple checks and was a menace on the forecheck. Pretty sure he went 60 percent or more on the draw just from the eye test too.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI

Wallinder stuck out to me on defense. I think one season in the AHL and he will be up permanently next year. Also really liked Edvinsson. Seems to be getting more physical around the next, which we need.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm surprised everyone has such positive reviews for Edvinsson.

I liked the draft pick. I like him as a prospect. But, last year he looked completely out of place to me when he got his shot with the Wings and it was more of the same yesterday. He doesn't look anywhere near ready to me. He can do some flashy things for a breakout or whatever, but the massive massive defensive breakdowns way too often should keep him in the AHL for quite a while longer

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Debrincats quick passes, Ed looking like he tacked on 20 pounds, and Nate Danielson were the biggest standouts to me last night.

This team is going to be a nightmare to play against when all these kids hit their stride in the league.

Reactions: deca guard

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I'm surprised everyone has such positive reviews for Edvinsson.

I liked the draft pick. I like him as a prospect. But, last year he looked completely out of place to me when he got his shot with the Wings and it was more of the same yesterday. He doesn't look anywhere near ready to me. He can do some flashy things for a breakout or whatever, but the massive massive defensive breakdowns way too often should keep him in the AHL for quite a while longer
What are you expecting out of him? He's not going to come in and be Lidstrom but I don't see anything in his game that is worse than Chiarot.

He would be a rookie, he's going to make mistakes. I'm not hellbent on him making the team, sure I'd like if he forced his way on but he seems pretty damn poised to me and had a number of good plays in the d zone that stood out to me. Hell, just the ground he can cover when joining the rush and getting back with his skating and reach is something this team does not have. What specific warts and or breakdowns did you see? The only one that stood out was he lost the front of the net and pinched in too far to the board to help on the terrible giveaway by Berggren. Other than that I didn't see much.
==================my game thoughts=====================
Wallinder looks good to me also, he looks like he could be a diet Edvinsson, he seems standoffish in joining the rush or leading it though which I think is one of his strengths. My guess is he's trying to show he can be defensively sound first which is great.

I'm really liking the Danielson pick now. I think he's going to end up the 2C this team needs. The kid just seems to always be in the right spot at the right time, is a puck hound, and looks like he will be a +faceoff guy. Really liking what I have seen out of him in the looks I've got. I wonder if the team composition was today what it was the year Raymond made the team if he'd make it too.

Berggren was quiet, made a couple heady plays but he needs to pop to make this team and not be the 13th forward. I'm rooting for him heavily, I think he has high upside. He needs to be on the scoresheet and be mistake free though because aside from a PP and offensive bottom six guy he doesn't provide anything else (phyiscality, pk, center etc.).

Soderblom is hard not to notice but I think he needs more seasoning.

I didn't think Petry looked bad or good. Just meh.

I liked that Seider looks as if he's trying to have more offensive punch, I hope he maintains that through the season and it wasn't just a preseason thing

Raymond was quiet but noticeable at the same time if that makes sense?

Good to see Ras back, good on Ed to find him, and he finished. I hope he gets some net front powerplay time this season.

Ghost will replace Hronek's PP points very nicely. He looked comfortable on the flank and gives us a hard shot on the right side if we're running handness on the offwings

I can't wait to see how this lineup shakes up over the next 2 weeks.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Sounds like Debrincat was good? Good chemistry between him and Larkin it seems?
Could tell he'd never played with anyone on the team before but looked really good, especially him and Larkin. I think Raymond and him could gel but they clearly had never played together before, small intricacies that were missed, like Raymond giving a short pass to DBC to carry when he could've carried it and DBC expected him to so there was a turnover instead of a transition.
You can tell that Debrincat just sees the game different offensively than a lot of the players we've seen come through Detroit recently.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This is not the compliment you might think it is

"You don't look worse than a corpse"
Pretty sure that poster is just saying there's no reason he shouldn't be in the NHL lineup as he is better than a player that is probably going to be.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Pretty sure that poster is just saying there's no reason he shouldn't be in the NHL lineup as he is better than a player that is probably going to be.
Yeah, I know, but Chiarot should really be the 7th defenseman if all are healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad