GDT: | Preseason Game #1/2 | Pens vs Jackets | 1300hrs and 1900hrs EST | Its a great day for hockey

We will finish tomorrow with:

• 2 wins

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • lose game 1 and win game 2

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • win game 1 and lose game 2

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • lose both games

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Gudbranson got 4 x 4. Not sure he is hanging on barely lol
Guds actually has put together some really nice seasons.

I remember the level of whining that went on here when he was signed and how upset people were. Similar to Ceci

Both played really solid for us but whining must be funner

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Guds actually has put together some really nice seasons.

I remember the level of whining that went on here when he was signed and how upset people were. Similar to Ceci

Both played really solid for us but whining must be funner

Those two and Matheson are part of why I don’t really trust defensive analytics when it comes to expected numbers. That and Sid being a bottom percentile defensive forward.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Those two and Matheson are part of why I don’t really trust defensive analytics when it comes to expected numbers. That and Sid being a bottom percentile defensive forward.
Jfresh's card for him last year had him like 50%. The year before he had him at 75% for defense. The latter feels a little more right for me. I don't consider Sid elite defensively or really close to that, but imo he's solidly above average, which coupled with his insane offense obviously makes him still ridiculously good.

Sid's best defensive work happens in the other end with his puck possession anyhow imo

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I'd like to speak to this bc I ref occasionally and I get players who complain about it.

My response to the guy whose stick is getting 'stuck': "What is your stick doing off the ice? They tell you in pee wee to keep it on the ice"

Unless the player doing the chicken wing absolutely grabs the stick, typically let this go. If it happens, I put both of them in the box.
Dude, it's your job to ref the game according to the rules, not be their coach.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jfresh's card for him last year had him like 50%. The year before he had him at 75% for defense. The latter feels a little more right for me. I don't consider Sid elite defensively or really close to that, but imo he's solidly above average, which coupled with his insane offense obviously makes him still ridiculously good.

Sid's best defensive work happens in the other end with his puck possession anyhow imo

You’re right. The predictive stat was the one that had him in the bottom percentile.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd just like to take this chance to say I hate percentiles when I don't know what the difference in output between percentile is.

Also I do believe in defensive chance measuring, but it needs a massive grain of salt in terms of quality of opposition.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Dude, it's your job to ref the game according to the rules, not be their coach.

I believe in communication and being real with players. As soon as I hear grumbling from the bench or from a player I explain what I saw and my reasoning. If someone comes at me respectfully, I give a respectful answer back.

Usually when I see an infraction that is borderline. I'll make a mental note to talk to the "offender" and "offendee". They may not like the response but at least they know my boundaries

Note that these are adults I'm reffing.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'd just like to take this chance to say I hate percentiles when I don't know what the difference in output between percentile is.

Also I do believe in defensive chance measuring, but it needs a massive grain of salt in terms of quality of opposition.
Jfresh points out in his explainer on WAR that: "For example, the top-rated forward in the league is projected to provide 8.2 wins per 82 games. The 10th-best is projected to provide 4.1, and the 324th-best is projected to provide 0. So the gap between #1 and #10 is the same as the gap between #10 and #324, but by percentiles it would look like 100%, 98%, 20% respectively."

So that's another thing to keep in mind when looking at percentiles. They can make elite players look closer to the pack than they really are.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I believe in communication and being real with players. As soon as I hear grumbling from the bench or from a player I explain what I saw and my reasoning. If someone comes at me respectfully, I give a respectful answer back.

Usually when I see an infraction that is borderline. I'll make a mental note to talk to the "offender" and "offendee". They may not like the response but at least they know my boundaries

Note that these are adults I'm reffing.
This is what I see in most good refs, communication is a good thing and happens at all levels.

Props to you for explaining the game/situations. Makes for a better environment for all

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Gudbranson had a great year for the Flames last season. But that was bottom pairing minutes and for 2mil. Would not want him at 4x4.

Closing this now. Conversations can merge back into the training camp thread until the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad