GDT: | Preseason Game #1/2 | Pens vs Jackets | 1300hrs and 1900hrs EST | Its a great day for hockey

We will finish tomorrow with:

• 2 wins

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • lose game 1 and win game 2

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • win game 1 and lose game 2

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • lose both games

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
That was one of those plays that literally anyone who has killed penalties regularly should know.

It was just bizarre. The only way I can rationalize what Archibald did is that he thought POJ would continue up high and he should step back into POJ's spot. But what PK actually operates like that, with defensemen potentially rotating up top? It's nonsense.
Sounds like Jankowski level awareness

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Overall shit game, but that was to be expected. Just a few thoughts:

1. Outside of that bad coverage on the PK, I thought POJ was mostly good. But like I said before, he can't have these highs and lows like he has been having. Sullivan won't tolerate a depth guy that alternates between "carrying the puck 200 feet down the ice" and "bad giveaway leading to a dangerous chance against". If he can fix the mistakes, he'll be an extremely solid defenseman in the NHL.
2. The depth forwards were bad. I'm very confident in saying that Legare will never make the NHL as a regular unless he vastly improves his skating.
3. Any sort of talk of Tokarski taking DeSmith's job can probably be put to rest.
4. Archibald is bad and I understand what Oilers fans were saying with him now.
5. Zohorna looked a lot like Boyle to me today, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Just from watching his stride and how he plays, there are a lot of parallels between Zohorna and Boyle IMO. He didn't do enough to warrant a regular role, but he absolutely should be an extra.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Overall shit game, but that was to be expected. Just a few thoughts:

1. Outside of that bad coverage on the PK, I thought POJ was mostly good. But like I said before, he can't have these highs and lows like he has been having. Sullivan won't tolerate a depth guy that alternates between "carrying the puck 200 feet down the ice" and "bad giveaway leading to a dangerous chance against". If he can fix the mistakes, he'll be an extremely solid defenseman in the NHL.
2. The depth forwards were bad. I'm very confident in saying that Legare will never make the NHL as a regular unless he vastly improves his skating.
3. Any sort of talk of Tokarski taking DeSmith's job can probably be put to rest.
4. Archibald is bad and I understand what Oilers fans were saying with him now.
5. Zohorna looked a lot like Boyle to me today, and I don't mean that in a bad way. Just from watching his stride and how he plays, there are a lot of parallels between Zohorna and Boyle IMO. He didn't do enough to warrant a regular role, but he absolutely should be an extra.

That Zohorna/Boyle comparison is good. Both big skilled guys.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Missed the first, but caught the 2nd and 3rd.

Archibald - yesh, no thank you. I think I'd rather take the chances on a rotating group of the WBS boys.
Zohorna - not terrible but he's slow. Big too which makes him look even slower. I did like he work when he did get the puck though so I'm on board keeping him for 13F.
Cagguila - better than Archibald.
Nylander - pretty good game overall but I think it's more "expected" out of him. That said, he'll continue to be a good AHL player.
Heinen - like Zucker and Kapanen, played about 3/4 speed and looked okay.
POJ - I'm not sure if the coaching staff agrees or not but that's not the showing I would want if the team has 9 guys and I'm waiver eligible. Just saying. He wasn't bad per say but he also wasn't the cut above the rest he needs to secure that job. It's still up for grabs.
St. Ivany - Looked good. A little surprised since I wasn't expecting much.
Poehling, Legare, and Frasca - All looked decent.

This game was tough because it was a bunch of 12/13F against damn near the full NHL lineup for the CBJ. I'd like to see more of: Cagguila, Legare, Poehling, Frasca, and St. Ivany.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At this point it Carter is at judging by camp the 4th line should be Poehling - Poulin - McGinn.
Based solely on merit from today, I would be okay with that. A couple of games in WBS won't continue to kill Poulin though. I could easily go DOC there as well.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
The reason that I gave Legare a + is bc he actually tried to hit people and get chippy. He also had a breakaway I think but looked slow. Based on reports from the prospects game against Boston and tonight’s game it seems like he is kind of evolving into a bit of a pest. Probably too early to tell and he probably isn’t good enough to matter. So basically A for effort from me.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t watch but few d-men look good in preseason. There’s no system for either team and guys are running around trying to make an impression, and others just trying to not get hurt. It’s chaotic for D that depend on structure.

I remember Scuderi looking great in WB/S but always sucked in camp and got sent down. Didn’t become an NHLer until a mid-season call up.

Reactions: jmelm

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Based solely on merit from today, I would be okay with that. A couple of games in WBS won't continue to kill Poulin though. I could easily go DOC there as well.

If Poulin keeps playing the way he did and their is a C opening if they are going on “best performance” he passes with flying colors.

I have no problem sending him to the A though.

Reactions: Peat

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Poulin keeps playing the way he did and their is a C opening if they are going on “best performance” he passes with flying colors.

I have no problem sending him to the A though.
Bunch of guys really really close to each other. Gonna be a tough decision for the coaching stuff.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Based on the preseason so far, my 12th and 13th forwards, if they ice a 23 man roster, would be Caggiula and Andonovski…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think they'll be very patient with Poulin, which I'm fine with since he's still adjusting to being a center. But he really looks phenomenal and he's setting himself up to be the Carter replacement when Carter retires after 2023-2024.

Poulin is better off dominating the AHL as a 1C than being called up to the Penguins and playing 4LW with Blueger.

Kasperi Kapanen and Drew O'Connor were the Penguins' leaders in goals last preseason with three apiece.

It took 22 regular season games for O'Connor to get three more, while Kapanen didn't score for the first nine regular season games and had 11 all year.

In other words, snap judgements on preseason games are foolish.

These kind of comments offer nothing. We can watch the game and come to conclusions based on that. Making any insane claims based on the pre-season is dumb, but trying to talk down on any discussion because "it's just the pre-season" is also dumb. It's a hockey board, what do you expect outside of hockey talk?

Reactions: vodeni

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
These kind of comments offer nothing. We can watch the game and come to conclusions based on that. Making any insane claims based on the pre-season is dumb, but trying to talk down on any discussion because "it's just the pre-season" is also dumb. It's a hockey board, what do you expect outside of hockey talk?
Because it's ridiculous to see people writing players off or having guys earn roster spots four days into camp.

It's one thing to say so and so looks good, it'd be nice to see more of them. It's another to say someone will never be an NHL player or that you'd rather see them in the lineup on opening night.

Corey Androvski isn't going to make the NHL because he scored a goal in the first game of the preseason. He's going to need to do a lot more than that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Honestly, I don't think we can draw any sort of conclusion with any of our guys after two exhibition games. Too many knee-jerk reactions around here. Clearly there are players who are just not NHL caliber, but that could have been said before these games even happened. That said guys who are fighting for positions shouldn't either have sewn up a position or have given any away this early on in the process. Let's give them another couple weeks before we anoint or disparage them.

Reactions: jmelm

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Too many knee-jerk reactions around here
That knee has clearly been broken off and is currently being used by some posters to beat each other with.

I was expecting them to split the games the way it happened. Really wont know how this team is shaping up until midway through the week at the earliest. Sounds like Zucker was not happy with how his camp has started, thats a good sign that hes motivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad