GDT: | Preseason Game #1/2 | Pens vs Jackets | 1300hrs and 1900hrs EST | Its a great day for hockey

We will finish tomorrow with:

• 2 wins

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • lose game 1 and win game 2

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • win game 1 and lose game 2

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • lose both games

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That knee has clearly been broken off and is currently being used by some posters to beat each other with.

I was expecting them to split the games the way it happened. Really wont know how this team is shaping up until midway through the week at the earliest. Sounds like Zucker was not happy with how his camp has started, thats a good sign that hes motivated.
I'm cautiously optimistic on Zucker rebounding to have a decent year. But I agree I like his attitude and the fact that he will be a UFA after this season should help motivate him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That knee has clearly been broken off and is currently being used by some posters to beat each other with.

I was expecting them to split the games the way it happened. Really wont know how this team is shaping up until midway through the week at the earliest. Sounds like Zucker was not happy with how his camp has started, thats a good sign that hes motivated.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I love for there to be a crackdown on chicken-winging a guy's stick to make it look like he's hooking you.

I'd like to speak to this bc I ref occasionally and I get players who complain about it.

My response to the guy whose stick is getting 'stuck': "What is your stick doing off the ice? They tell you in pee wee to keep it on the ice"

Unless the player doing the chicken wing absolutely grabs the stick, typically let this go. If it happens, I put both of them in the box.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
POJ is so lost. He's like beer goggles Matheson.

I know you want Smith to be in the NHL, but don't just make stuff up to talk down on POJ :laugh:

POJ may or may not make the team over Smith. POJ may or may not end up being an inferior player to Smith in the short or long term. But what's clear is that @Gurglesons is biased to see everything Smith does as glass half full and everything POJ does as glass half empty.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Kasperi Kapanen and Drew O'Connor were the Penguins' leaders in goals last preseason with three apiece.

It took 22 regular season games for O'Connor to get three more, while Kapanen didn't score for the first nine regular season games and had 11 all year.

In other words, snap judgements on preseason games are foolish.
This can’t be stated enough.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
And Nylander blows his chance for the NHL for another season.

Nylander never had a chance to make the NHL. The "worse version of Sprong" comparison someone made is great and should have been how we described him from Day 1.

I think they'll be very patient with Poulin, which I'm fine with since he's still adjusting to being a center. But he really looks phenomenal and he's setting himself up to be the Carter replacement when Carter retires after goes on LTIR for 2023-2024.

Fixed.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Are you or someone you love suffering from Jankowskitis? Good news, waivator has been clinically proven to alleviate the symptoms of Jankowskitis. Tell your doctor it’s time for waivator!

• Haha
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I think they'll be very patient with Poulin, which I'm fine with since he's still adjusting to being a center. But he really looks phenomenal and he's setting himself up to be the Carter replacement when Carter retires after 2023-2024.

Poulin is better off dominating the AHL as a 1C than being called up to the Penguins and playing 4LW with Blueger.

These kind of comments offer nothing. We can watch the game and come to conclusions based on that. Making any insane claims based on the pre-season is dumb, but trying to talk down on any discussion because "it's just the pre-season" is also dumb. It's a hockey board, what do you expect outside of hockey talk?
I don’t even know if he needs to dominate. Just continue to grow. When players that age stop getting better at that level is when you should be worried. I can’t think of too many that plateaued in the AHL and went on to be good NHL players.

I still think Puus is our best prospect but I’ve given up on that fight.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
POJ may or may not make the team over Smith. POJ may or may not end up being an inferior player to Smith in the short or long term. But what's clear is that @Gurglesons is biased to see everything Smith does as glass half full and everything POJ does as glass half empty.

Not really. POJ has looked the same way after a hot few games to start in the NHL. I already posted my take on POJ in November of 2021.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
CBJ's have Neal and Guds... who knew.
Players continue to exist after being a penguin.... hanging on...... barely.....

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd like to speak to this bc I ref occasionally and I get players who complain about it.

My response to the guy whose stick is getting 'stuck': "What is your stick doing off the ice? They tell you in pee wee to keep it on the ice"

Unless the player doing the chicken wing absolutely grabs the stick, typically let this go. If it happens, I put both of them in the box.
I occasionally referee in the winter as well and I get it but not every one of those situations is created equal. If a guy is positioning his stick to try for the poke check, there is often an opportunity for the guy with the puck to "grab" it especially if he is turning. That said, you have to be "strong on your stick" and (especially at the NHL speed) that doesn't always lend itself well to keeping your stick on your ice. There are certainly times it is "close". What I'm against is the puck carrier intentionally chicken-winging the stick and creating a penalty based off that. We see that quite often.
How did Kapanen look in this game? Any signs of life?
He was honestly at 3/4 speed, as was Zucker, and he looked pretty good being the first pre-season game. Yes, there were signs of life.
Gudbranson got 4 x 4. Not sure he is hanging on barely lol
Outside of a couple poor value seasons in Vancouver, he's been a relatively solid, consistent dman. He got that "anchor" label and then could never shake it. But by most accounts, GMs aren't paying attention to it as the guy continues to get work. He's not a sexy PMD but I would suggest he would be adding an element here that we have been missing (which we tried to address bringing in Petry and Rutta).

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
CBJ's have Neal and Guds... who knew.
Players continue to exist after being a penguin.... hanging on...... barely.....
Neal will probably end up back in the A, as he was last year. The dude must really love to play hockey, have absolutely nothing else to do, and/or have blown $55 or so million he's made in his NHL career.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Neal will probably end up back in the A, as he was last year. The dude must really love to play hockey, have absolutely nothing else to do, and/or have blown $55 or so million he's made in his NHL career.
He’s at least got 10 mill invested in hair care products.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I think they'll be very patient with Poulin, which I'm fine with since he's still adjusting to being a center. But he really looks phenomenal and he's setting himself up to be the Carter replacement when Carter retires after 2023-2024.

Poulin is better off dominating the AHL as a 1C than being called up to the Penguins and playing 4LW with Blueger.

These kind of comments offer nothing. We can watch the game and come to conclusions based on that. Making any insane claims based on the pre-season is dumb, but trying to talk down on any discussion because "it's just the pre-season" is also dumb. It's a hockey board, what do you expect outside of hockey talk?
I think he is offering realistic and valuable hockey insight considering many on these boards overreacting to games players etc in small sample sizes and don't understand the ebs and flows of the game. (not particularly you)

It's a breath of fresh air to me. Someone who realizes a few games really means nothing but it is great to see hockey back 😄

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'm cautiously optimistic on Zucker rebounding to have a decent year. But I agree I like his attitude and the fact that he will be a UFA after this season should help motivate him.
Zucker's attitude and leadership should never be questioned. It's his play that has, and when healthy he has been solid when it matters.

Problem is he hasn't been healthy and with that contract and what we need from him solid isn't enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad