GDT: | Preseason Game #1/2 | Pens vs Jackets | 1300hrs and 1900hrs EST | Its a great day for hockey

We will finish tomorrow with:

• 2 wins

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • lose game 1 and win game 2

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • win game 1 and lose game 2

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • lose both games

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
giphy.gif

Its a great day for hockey!

ObeseFemaleCalf-max-1mb.gif

1:00 PM Lineup - PPG Paints Arena

Head Coach - Mike Vellucci

Assistant Coaches - J.D. Forrest and Kevin Porter

GOALIES
1 - Casey DeSmith

31 - Filip Lindberg

DEFENSE
2 - Chad Ruhwedel

24 - Ty Smith

28 - Marcus Pettersson

48 - Jon Lizotte

52 - Mark Friedman

78 - Isaac Belliveau

FORWARDS
10 - Drew O'Connor

16 - Jason Zucker

22 - Sam Poulin

27 - Corey Andonovski

36 - Filip Hallander

42 - Kasperi Kapanen

45 - Jonathan Gruden

53 - Teddy Blueger

57 - Jamie Devane

67 - Rickard Rakell

75 - Kyle Olson

76 - Valtteri Puustinen

Mar_19_2018_21_04_59.gif

7:00 PM Lineup - Nationwide Arena

Head Coach - Todd Reirden

Assistant Coaches - Ty Hennes and Sheldon Brookbank

GOALIES
33 - Taylor Gauthier

40 - Dustin Tokarski

DEFENSE
4 - Taylor Fedun

32 - Mitch Reinke

37 - Jack St. Ivany

55 - Chris Ortiz

61 - Xavier Ouellet

73 - P.O Joseph

74 - Ryan McCleary

FORWARDS
15 - Josh Archibald

18 - Drake Caggiula

19 - Alex Nylander

25 - Ryan Poehling

34 - Nathan Legare

39 - Sam Houde

43 - Danton Heinen

46 - Jordan Frasca

51 - Ty Glover

63 - Radim Zohorna

72 - Lukas Svejkovsky

80 - Raivis Ansons

Both games will be streamed locally from:
www.pittsburghpenguins.com

pittsburgh-penguins-fans.gif

We will keep this thread up for both game 1 and 2​

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Speaking of GDTs, we could use a volunteer to keep a thread going of who is doing each GDT and also bug people to participate by volunteering. ( @Clare2904 ?? :D ) If there is another volunteer to keep up with an injury thread this season, that would also be appreciated.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Working right now, nephews birthday tomorrow, local stream only. Might not be watching these ones. :madfire:

Yeah, hate they can't just use these games as practice games for tv crews and do live tv.

Have fun at the nephews B-Day party!

Hey Rudy, I'm having fun and all at your party, but I'd rather be partying in the Pens GDT.

images

Make sure you call him, Rudy!

• Haha
Reactions: Zirakzigil

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Might get to watch part of Game 2 but not the first one…who cares about the result…let’s see some young players stepping up and making some exciting plays…

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Why even play "pre-season" games when they consist of mostly people who will never play another game in the NHL.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Why even play "pre-season" games when they consist of mostly people who will never play another game in the NHL.
To determine where prospects are at in game scenarios. It's much more telling than drills, practices and inter-squads.
They also need to warm up the regulars so the games in October aren't trash.
The later games are loaded with regulars.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
To determine where prospects are at in game scenarios. It's much more telling than drills, practices and inter-squads.
I'll give you 'more telling than drills...' but it is not much more than practice against other teams 'never going to make it' squad.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't know how much money the orgs make off of these games, but it's part of it here.

Other than that, what AuroraBorealis said, it's a chance to check up on the progress and winnow the wheat from the chaff.

I'd add I think there's a sense of reward and enticement to keep prospects hungry. Make you mark, continue your progress, and you can get to play in NHL arenas with NHLers. It's a small reward, but a series of small rewards can get you further than just holding out one big reward miles away.

That all said... there's a reason we know not to get too excited about these games, and it's because they don't mean all that much. The gains are often marginal. But marginal gains still add up.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'll give you 'more telling than drills...' but it is not much more than practice against other teams 'never going to make it' squad.
If all they did was inter-squad games then you couldn't really gauge players, since teammates take it easy on each other.
It wouldn't mirror NHL physicality and the coaching staff would have problems projecting things.

Look at what the lineups will look like in the final pre-season games. If it's like last year it'll be almost the full power team, with a few hopefuls.

I think it's also important to give players a proper chance on the right stage, after all the work they did to make it to the NHL.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't know how much money the orgs make off of these games, but it's part of it here.

Other than that, what AuroraBorealis said, it's a chance to check up on the progress and winnow the wheat from the chaff.

I'd add I think there's a sense of reward and enticement to keep prospects hungry. Make you mark, continue your progress, and you can get to play in NHL arenas with NHLers. It's a small reward, but a series of small rewards can get you further than just holding out one big reward miles away.

That all said... there's a reason we know not to get too excited about these games, and it's because they don't mean all that much. The gains are often marginal. But marginal gains still add up.
Yeah. They use these more for the young squad than conditioning the actual players and lines. So... like you said... more 'keep at it and this could be you...' kinda deal going on.

Ehhh.
The thing I have a problem with is... the spots are already taken. It doesn't even matter if you get back to back to back hat tricks... it's still against other no-chancers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah. They use these more for the young squad than conditioning the actual players and lines. So... like you said... more 'keep at it and this could be you...' kinda deal going on.

Ehhh.
The thing I have a problem with is... the spots are already taken. It doesn't even matter if you get back to back to back hat tricks... it's still against other no-chancers.

I think that's overstating it. Unproven guys who show they're too good for the other unproven guys get chances to show they can go against the veterans later on. Rare for that to happen and win spots, but it does happen. Marino did it not so long ago.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think that's overstating it. Unproven guys who show they're too good for the other unproven guys get chances to show they can go against the veterans later on. Rare for that to happen and win spots, but it does happen. Marino did it not so long ago.
Good example bad example.
It does happen... or in most cases bumps players up or down a notch.
Rii made it too.
What happened to them though...

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

That 1st line is something you can easily convince me will be the 3rd line if Carter is out

I've supported Blue for years but he's underwhelmed in the playoffs so many times. I've lost some faith. That said it's likely his last year here so let's go Ted, show me you want a big contract.

With the depression from the Steelers trash I am even more desperate for hockey to get underway
giphy (2).gif

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad