Premier League 2021-2022 part III

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
13/14, 18/19 and 21/22, three times Liverpool has lost out on the title by one or two point on City, stings a little bit.. But their depth is undeniable and has probably been the deciding factor all three times.

Also can't get Sterling's goal that was called off for offside against City 13/14 out of my mind :mad::laugh:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
But Wolves in the other hand.... finished 10th, with 4th fewest goals for
while allowing 5th fewest goals against... with -5 goal difference

Football is weird at times

I noticed a couple weeks ago that only the teams qualified for Europe (so the top 7) had positive goal differences... plus Crystal Palace buried way down the table.
Since then Leicester also managed to get into positive numbers but United also managed to get theirs down to zero...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah. No one here is going to miss how they play. I feel bad because some of their players get the most out of the talent they have, but happy to see them go. Long time coming.
Also, no one has ever actually seen a Burnley supporter. It’s a small club.

Reactions: Chimaera

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Jokes aside he had an inexperienced moment taking Coutinho out but he set them up perfectly for success. You can’t put an inferior team in better position to win than that. Ultimately the game meant nothing to them too so there’s that.
They also played on Thursday. For a tired team with media-created motivation playing a well-rested team that couldn't have possibly been more motivated, Villa's performance was pretty heroic.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Makes sense but it’s not like this final week means anything. I’d rather him be there and watch training to send some of these guys packing.

And here’s your weekly “guess who” game.

Why not just say who it is instead of playing the guessing game? I guess you have to generate clicks somehow.

That source doesn't even make Tier 5 ("known shitposters and banned sources") on r/reddevils.

Looks like they were right.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Best January window in the PL ever?

I admit that I myself was skeptical when Paratici bought from his former club, but holy moly did it work out. Especially Kulusevski. 5 + 8 and two drawn penalties in less than half a season. Would have won YPOTY over a full season without question. Pretty cheap cost for such a player too.

Levy needs to go all-in on this squad. Spend as much as possible, screw the long-term investments and create a competitive team now, while we still have peak Kane and Son. I believe it's possible under Conte.
Not even the best January window in the PL this season.
Under Antonio Conte,

Spurs ranked (in 28 games):
3rd in points gained (56)
3rd in goals scored (60)
3rd least goals conceded (24)
3rd in xG (57.32) 4th in xGA (27.72)
3rd in xPTS (55.25)
Looks third best to me

Not to downplay the impact Kulu especially has had on Spurs, but United signed Vidic and Evra in the same January window.
That’s got to be up there. Liverpool signing Virgil is certainly up there. Many more examples of January transfers leading to silverware.

I mean Takumi Minamino came in January and was LFC top scorer in League Cup and FA Cup when Liverpool won both and people will still say he’s a bad signing.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not to downplay the impact Kulu especially has had on Spurs, but United signed Vidic and Evra in the same January window.

In terms of impact, West Ham brought both Jarrod Bowen and Tomas Soucek in January and they, A) kept West Ham up, and B) catalyzed the shift to consecutive top 7 finishes and a European semi-final.
Didn't know they were January signings. Can't say I did any research, haha. Still a fantastic window none the less.

Not even the best January window in the PL this season.
Referring to Newcastle? Chris Wood for €30M is a demerit IMO.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Didn't know they were January signings. Can't say I did any research, haha. Still a fantastic window none the less.

As much a demit as Wood may be Bruno was a revolutionary signing for them and played a massive role in them not being relegated.

Also Diaz helped win Liverpool 2 (and potentially 3) trophies, so that gets major marks.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Luis Diaz wins this for Liverpool alone

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not sure how one can fault Kulusevski for playing on a less competitive team?

On top of him, there's Bentancur who immediately became a decent starter. Also, all the bad attitudes Conte didn't want were shown the door.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure how one can fault Kulusevski for playing on a less competitive team?

On top of him, there's Bentancur who immediately became a decent starter. Also, all the bad attitudes Conte didn't want were shown the door.
It’s not about faulting Kulusevski. It’s about how good Luis Diaz was.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
It’s not about faulting Kulusevski. It’s about how good Luis Diaz was.
And I argue that Deki's been just as good. But yeah, players that play for more competitive teams are always valued higher even if they seemingly aren't better.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Kulusevski dramatically outperformed both his xG and xA.

I wouldn’t be shocked if he finished next year with something line 8-9g 6a and that wouldn’t represent a decrease in how he’s performing.

Diaz could easily hit mid teens in goals depending on usage.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And I argue that Deki's been just as good. But yeah, players that play for more competitive teams are always valued higher even if they seemingly aren't better.
No one has done what Diaz did. Diaz did everything Kulusevski did but at a higher level. Broke into a better team (while significantly contributing) and scored in more important competitions. Kulusevski had a very nice season for himself, but Diaz is a level up. Even Tottenham clearly think so.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No one has done what Diaz did. Diaz did everything Kulusevski did but at a higher level. Broke into a better team (while significantly contributing) and scored in more important competitions. Kulusevski had a very nice season for himself, but Diaz is a level up. Even Tottenham clearly think so.

How is 4g 3a in 13 games better than 5g 8a in 18? What Diaz did in other competitions doesn't matter when you're having a discussion about the premier league. I don't think Kulusevski is better than Diaz but he did have a bigger impact since arriving this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad