Premier League 2017-2018

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Bellerin is a turd. If you actually look at his comments in general about ArsenalFanTv he's correct. However when he says they're profiting off of Arsenal doing poorly he's full of shit. For starters they're clearly supporters who celebrate every time Arsenal win and what's more that's exactly what Bellerin is doing. His above comments about Sanchez are awful too. Completely fit a guy who left for money. Wouldn't take him on a Bosman if he agreed to play for free.

Reactions: Peen and YNWA14

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Blatantly stolen from somewhere else.

20 Games With Coutinho: W: 8 D: 10 L: 2, 1.70 points per game
20 Games Without: W: 15 D: 2 L: 3, 2.35 points per game

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Reactions: All Might

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Biggest issue with a winter break is the extra games the league cup adds. For the biggest of teams, that's not as big a deal since most of those games until the last couple rounds are done by rotation players, but for smaller squads that just means extra load on first team players elsewhere in the season.

Honestly I wouldn't complain if the league cup went away.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Biggest issue with a winter break is the extra games the league cup adds. For the biggest of teams, that's not as big a deal since most of those games until the last couple rounds are done by rotation players, but for smaller squads that just means extra load on first team players elsewhere in the season.

Honestly I wouldn't complain if the league cup went away.

Yeah. Such a stupid tournament. But people don’t like to give away money (less games).

I don’t know if this is true, but I’m assuming a full break will have a positive effect on players’ fitness even if it means a slightly more compact schedule outside of the break.

I think they are removing some games though. Can’t remember. Replays or something. Can’t be bothered looking it up.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Blatantly stolen from somewhere else.

20 Games With Coutinho: W: 8 D: 10 L: 2, 1.70 points per game
20 Games Without: W: 15 D: 2 L: 3, 2.35 points per game

Legit feel like the only thing we're missing with Coutinho give are his free kicks. When Salah stepped up to take that one on Saturday I knew it was going into the wall as soon as he started his run up. The attack is much more fluid though and the team seems to break even faster on the counter. All in all it's been a tidy bit of business thus far.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Felt like sharing some stats of Spurs play with and without Alderweireld.
STATWITH TOBYWITHOUT
Games Played1726
Win %53%62%
Lose %17%7%
Avg Goals Scored1.92.1
Avg Goals Conceded1.00.8
Possession58%64%
Shots Conceded per game9.67.8
Shots on Target Conceded per game3.23.1
Corners Conceded4.83.9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'm not trying to undermine Alderweireld here, just because there is a chance that he may leave this summer. He is still one of the best defenders in the league. That being said, his injury has been a bit of a blessing in disguise. We pretty much never used a back four anymore when he was healthy. His injury forced Poch to go back to playing with a back four, and we instantly played much better. Especially Eriksen. I like the tactical flexibility a back three can bring, and it has produced some of our best games this season (Liverpool at Wembley, both Madrid games for example), but I think we should stick with a back four.

Our stats being down with Toby could also be because of our early struggles at Wembley, something that I feel is a non-issue now.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not entirely surprised with those stats, because as you said, the back four has been pretty good firstly and I think Sanchez has slotted in quite well. But back three is probably not a great long term tactic even though Conte made it work for a full season. I do think those stats are quite meaningful in fact, same as the Coutinho ones. Sometimes a team finds they don't need a player as much as they thought they did, or that having a certain player cause their tactics to be less effective.

If Alderweireld leaves I expect a similar profile signing to Sanchez, although it does appear there will be no young CB quite as costly as him this summer. Tah would be a great target obviously.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm not entirely surprised with those stats, because as you said, the back four has been pretty good firstly and I think Sanchez has slotted in quite well. But back three is probably not a great long term tactic even though Conte made it work for a full season. I do think those stats are quite meaningful in fact, same as the Coutinho ones. Sometimes a team finds they don't need a player as much as they thought they did, or that having a certain player cause their tactics to be less effective.

If Alderweireld leaves I expect a similar profile signing to Sanchez, although it does appear there will be no young CB quite as costly as him this summer. Tah would be a great target obviously.

Funnily enough, I've seen some links to Tah in these past days. I'm surprised that Poch wouldn't prefer someone who is left-footed if this is the case. He is quite adamant to play centre-halves on the same side as their footedness, whilst our only left-footed CB is Vertonghen. As for right-footed ones we would have Sanchez, Alderweireld/Tah, Dier, Foyth and Carter-Vickers.

Then again, I can't imagine that the market for talented left-footed centre-halves is too big.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sample size is too small, Toby didn't play at his highest level when healthy this season and when we played with a back three Pochettino usually went with a three man central midfield - which doesn't suit Spurs.

With the back four Pochettino has gone back to the flat 2 central midfield. Dembele has started to hit some form etc.

Still think our best formation is 3-4-3 with a flat 2 central midfield. And with Alderweireld playing centrally - not on the right side. Sanchez is much more suited to play one on one out wide.

Sanchez - Alderweireld - Vertonghen
Trippier - Dembele - Dier - Rose
Alli/Son - Kane - Eriksen

Sanchez is a bit all over the place, but with Alderweireld behind him that is less of a problem. He is athletic enough to handle most forwards running down the outside channel. Trippier isn't good enough defensively, but he has to be one of the most underrated players in the league. Not because he is very good, but he is serviceable.

That is a much better team than our current one in 4-2-3-1 in my opinion. But it requires Pochettino to play the back 3 differently and you got to have Rose fit as Davies isn't suited to play the role as a winger when in possession (Davies is far more effective in a back 4 when he has a winger in front of him - or someone drifting in leaving him a bit more space).

I really hope Alderweireld stays, but I'm not sure if he'll ever play at his best again. He surprised me, and most others, by taking that next step after joining Spurs. Is he regressing a bit back to the mean? He didn't look as good before the injury this season. Will he be able to shake that completely off? He is not 21 any longer. Looked horrible in that cup game (even if he clearly wasn't fully fit and the pitch was crap).

Break the bank to keep Kane and Eriksen. By all means give Alderweireld a good offer, but losing him is not the end of the world. Losing Kane or Eriksen would be far far worse. They should be the best paid players in the team longer term.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have no sympathy for Sanchez since he wanted out and wanted to go to Man United. So another offencive player struggling under Mourinho is shocking to say the least.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Premier League save percentages : Karius - 68%...Courtois - 68%....Lloris 67%....Stat via @LFCDaytrippers

Mignolet is last with 57.4

Decent upgrade

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Karius has been fantastic. He's also statistically the best sweeper in the league. Hope he can kick on from here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad