Premier League 2017-2018

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yes in the short time Mourinho has been here he has been marginally better but at least with him you are bringing in a history of success that Klopp hasn't come close to.

Mourinho definitely has a better track record than Klopp (or almost any other manager), but if you're talking about return on investment past accomplishments don't have much value.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
5-0 in CL knockout yesterday, third place, CL qualification last year, league cup final, and Europa League Final. Signing players who definitely wouldn't have come there. Definitely worth it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Mourinho definitely has a better track record than Klopp (or almost any other manager), but if you're talking about return on investment past accomplishments don't have much value.

I think past experience helps, especially in the league. I think Mourinho having won the EPL title and CL titles helps him currently. Now it doesn't mean he will do it again and we can see with Wenger that it can matter little at all but I think with the better results and more reason to think he will have better results going forward that it does matter some.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
5-0 in CL knockout yesterday, third place, CL qualification last year, league cup final, and Europa League Final. Signing players who definitely wouldn't have come there. Definitely worth it.

LOL

a 5-0 fluke win is worth overpaying a garbage manager?

Ok then.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I like how it always turns into the same thing with you. Stop derailing threads and that isn't a suggestion.

I didn't derail anything we are talking about managers here. I didn't even bring Klopp up in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't derail anything we are talking about managers here. I didn't even bring Klopp up in the first place.

Yeah you changed subject from how much managers are paid and Poch to Klopp. If you don't like being told to stop derailing threads you can just leave.

It's far from the only time and it needs to end.

Now back on the subject it wouldn't be very surprising if Poch signed a contract to stay at Tottenham, but he will be making demands that certain players are given the contracts they want.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well I thought he was a lot better than that but I guess not. I still think the nature of the position likely holds him back at this point especially if Real Madrid is a possibility but I have long ago realized that these guys wishes and decisions are much, much different than the decisions I would make.
A lot better than that?
LOL because Spurs are so much better than PSG? WTF are you talking about?
Pochettino played in Paris and loved it here, like most players do. He has fond memories of his stay and has kept contact with a club he loved.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
A lot better than that?
LOL because Spurs are so much better than PSG? WTF are you talking about?
Pochettino played in Paris and loved it here, like most players do. He has fond memories of his stay and has kept contact with a club he loved.

I am talking about Paris being a horrible place and PSG not being worth dreaming about. That's all. I didn't say he couldn't have those thoughts just that I respect him less for it.

Not everybody has to love PSG.

I did say that I understand that footballers/managers would make much different decisions than I would.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Paris is a horrible place? PSG is not worth dreaming about?

LOL.

Paris is arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Man, London is crappy compared to Paris.
When you have money, Paris is probably one of the top 5 cities in the world (certainly different when you don't have much money).

Not everybody has to love PSG? Poch LOVED PSG when he was there. Way before QSI BTW. Just about every former PSG player loves Paris and the club. Ronaldinho, Rai, Valdo, Ricardo, Djorkaeff, and so many others, check their quotes. They all kept links with Paris because they loved it there.
Heck, Ronaldo (the brazilian one) stated recently he regreted not playing for Paris.
In countries like Brazil, PSG is probably the third most important team after Real and Barca.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He's just gonna want the same things other top managers want. Assurances his players won't leave over wages. I am not sure Levy will do that but if he does it shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is basically any manager would want to coach the players at PSG, so it will always be in the back of his mind.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Paris is a horrible place? PSG is not worth dreaming about?

LOL.

Paris is arguably one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Man, London is crappy compared to Paris.
When you have money, Paris is probably one of the top 5 cities in the world (certainly different when you don't have much money).

Not everybody has to love PSG? Poch LOVED PSG when he was there. Way before QSI BTW. Just about every former PSG player loves Paris and the club. Ronaldinho, Rai, Valdo, Ricardo, Djorkaeff, and so many others, check their quotes. They all kept links with Paris because they loved it there.
Heck, Ronaldo (the brazilian one) stated recently he regreted not playing for Paris.
In countries like Brazil, PSG is probably the third most important team after Real and Barca.

That is just listing other peoples opinion on it, that does nothing to change what I think of the city or club.

I didn't say that he would hate it or regret it just that I lose respect for him for wanting to go.

Listing what a bunch of former players think about it means nothing.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Quick question for everyone. Especially United fans. Has United gotten the full Paul Pogba? I’m curious because in every game yeah he looks good but there are so many games where you just feel he could give a little bit more. Is the wanting more the real Pogba or is it when he is taking over games?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Quick question for everyone. Especially United fans. Has United gotten the full Paul Pogba? I’m curious because in every game yeah he looks good but there are so many games where you just feel he could give a little bit more. Is the wanting more the real Pogba or is it when he is taking over games?

Not consistently.

He started the season on fire but hasn't looked the same since his injury issues. A couple flashes here and there, but not enough.

He's still been great, don't get me wrong, but he's capable of much more. Although, that's probably going to be the story of Pogba's career.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It doesn't help him that there's absolutely no gameplan and they basically play a pickup game every week.

Kick it around, stand and kick it. Don't move out of your spot cause when we lose it you have to defend!

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It doesn't help him that there's absolutely no gameplan and they basically play a pickup game every week.

Kick it around, stand and kick it. Don't move out of your spot cause when we lose it you have to defend!

Well. Got to expect that he is somewhat able to adjust as well.

Funny how you spend that much money on a midfield player for then having to tailor make the rest of your team for that player to look more than decent on average.

He is just not very intelligent off the ball. He could and should perform much better even if he isn't that good of a fit to the system.

Not that I disagree that he would have done better in a system more suited to him.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Well. Got to expect that he is somewhat able to adjust as well.

Funny how you spend that much money on a midfield player for then having to tailor make the rest of your team for that player to look more than decent on average.

He is just not very intelligent off the ball. He could and should perform much better even if he isn't that good of a fit to the system.

Not that I disagree that he would have done better in a system more suited to him.

Send Erickson over to Mourinho and see how that plays out.

It's about maximizing your best players. You can criticize Pogba for play at times, fine. But if you're gonna spend all that money on him, then tell him to go sit in front of a terrible CB pairing next to Matic, dont' complain about his lack of goals and assists.

There is no off the ball movement. At all. None. Watch them.

I've had enough of Jose. Pissing away all the talent on this team cause he's terrified of being opened up.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
"lack of goals and assists"

He's still scored 3 goals and has 9 assists (3rd in PL) in 17 games. Only ones with more assists are Sane (22 games) and De Bruyne (27 games).

No, he hasn't been playing like a world class player, which you should expect if you pay $100+M for someone, but it's not like he's been terrible aside from a few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad