Premier League 2017-2018

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Send Erickson over to Mourinho and see how that plays out.

It's about maximizing your best players. You can criticize Pogba for play at times, fine. But if you're gonna spend all that money on him, then tell him to go sit in front of a terrible CB pairing next to Matic, dont' complain about his lack of goals and assists.

There is no off the ball movement. At all. None. Watch them.

I've had enough of Jose. Pissing away all the talent on this team cause he's terrified of being opened up.

I do watch them.

I agree in possession he needs more help to shine, but his biggest problem is when Utd are either defending or someone else in red are in possession. Pogba has no idea what to do. It seems like he can only be effective if you tell him exactly where and when to run - and make it simple (exaggerating a bit as he is still a good player - just not an excellent one).

He'll improve the day Jose is sacked/leaves, but I would be very surprised if he ever lives up to his hype.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What do you think we could do to help him? Would changing to a 4-3-3 help? Obviously we need basically a whole new defense except possibly Shaw and Bailly. Maybe get someone a little more athletic in Fabinho this summer.

Sanchez-Luk-Martial
Pogba-Mata
Matic/Fabinho?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Out of curiosity, how are those measured? Wonder how much is affected by team systems. Is Ederson really the best distributor or is he a good distributor who is in a system designed around the goalie distributing the ball.

Reactions: robertmac43

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Out of curiosity, how are those measured? Wonder how much is affected by team systems. Is Ederson really the best distributor or is he a good distributor who is in a system designed around the goalie distributing the ball.
Pretty much.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
This thing contradicts your opinion of Lloris.

I was rather surprised to see him that high up. Guess it's a case of me having high standards. I've seen what he is capable of which makes me think that he could have done so, so much better the majority of times he lets in goals.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Got to say the few times I have seen Pope that chart looks fairly correct.

I see a guy called Sam Jackson made it. Assuming he has studied all situations they have been involved in.

DDG has according to him "saved" 16 goals compared to average. Lloris is 2nd with 6. I guess in that sense it fits my view that Lloris used to be close to on par with DDG - now he isn´t any longer.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Roberto Firmino will NOT face action after investigation into racism claim

Firmino's statement:

“As difficult as it has been to remain publicly silent, given the serious and damaging nature of what it was claimed I said during the game, I did so to demonstrate my respect for the process and to allow the issue to be investigated in the most thorough way.
“It is critical for football that tackling racism and all forms of discrimination is taken extremely seriously. As someone who has experienced racist abuse during my life, I know how damaging and hurtful it can be.
“Now the process is concluded, I would like to place on record, for the avoidance of any doubt, I did not say the word, or a variation of the word, that was claimed and subsequently reported in the media. I did not use any language that referenced race. I did not – and would never – reference a person’s skin colour or culture, by means of insult, during a dispute or an argument.
“There is no place for discrimination on a football pitch, or anywhere else in life for that matter.
“I am pleased after exhaustive reviews of all the evidence, in this specific incident, the matter is resolved.”

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Interesting to see Sky Sports put their name on that. I saw a Sky article a month ago that painted a very different picture regarding shot-stopping. Doubt the xG numbers have changed a lot since then. But it sounds like that wasn't the only consideration that went into the author's rankings. I love passing goalies but I doubt any difference in distribution will make up for the gulf in goals saved between de Gea and everyone else.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It doesn't. And the guy that made that chart didn't think so either.

For DDG the numbers are actually quite similar. 13.8 vs. 16. Also Pope scores highly on both.

I think Lloris is too high on that first chart. He scores far lower on the second Sky article. That said - I don't watch every game every weekend for all teams so difficult to "benchmark" Lloris in a relative way for me. My view on Lloris this year is that he has cost Spurs a couple of goals compared to what one should expect (compared to Lloris from last season there is no doubt that is the case - compared to "average" is trickier). The second Sky article (DM's) says exactly that.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I found the article in which the graph was posted:

Is criticism of Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius unfair?

Interesting to see how the xG numbers differ in both articles.
Interesting article.

I think it's important to note, and this article sort of has, that keepers can often be insulated by their system. As it says in the article Karius ranks #1 in interceptions from outside of the box which is incredibly important to Liverpool given their style of play and the extra pressure that it puts on the defence and keeper. De Gea and Lloris are obviously very good goalies but they are also partially insulated by teams that do take care of the defensive side of things first (which is why I find it interesting that it says Lloris has faced the highest average difficulty in shots this season) and focus on offence 2nd (much more extreme in United's case). Positioning and reading of the play are both affected by this and contribute to stopping good chances (not taking anything away from de Gea especially, who makes ridiculous saves).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad