Premier League 2017-2018

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I believe only Suarez and Henry were the prior players with 25g+ and 10+ assists in a season. Salah is 1 assist shy of joining that mark.

How does Salah's 2017-18 compare with Suarez 2013-14?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think the most incredible part of this is that Salah was not used in the same role/way that he's been used at Liverpool before (which could partially explain his questionable finishing in the early goings). Absolute masterstroke by Klopp not only for the buy but for the way he's implemented him as a player in his system.

He's like a Ronaldo/Messi hybrid in the way he plays now (style, not saying he's as good as those two btw). Mostly a poacher who is incredible at finding space and getting into scoring opportunities, As well as lethal on the counter but his close control and finishing are really continuing to improve at an astonishing rate.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I believe only Suarez and Henry were the prior players with 25g+ and 10+ assists in a season. Salah is 1 assist shy of joining that mark.

Salah has been better to me. Part of the reason Suarez was so spectacular that season, and the reason they challenged for the title in the first place, was that the big clubs were in worse shape than they are now. The Liverpool team itself was actually worse the year they challenged for the title. The difference between Salah and other players seems to be that Salah is aware of his capabilities and almost never shoots the ball from distance or out of frustration. Suarez on the other hand was more spectacular in terms of doing things that seemed ridiculous for the whole season whereas Salah is now doing that in the late stages of the season and clearly still improving. Suarez also got even better upon going to Barcelona.

The commentators can't help but talk about him potentially leaving, but when Liverpool sell players they have the tendency to ask for a lot, and I'm pretty sure that they'd ask for what PSG paid for Neymar, so they should probably save that talk until after next season because it's actually getting really annoying. The teams with that kind of money also committed themselves to other options. Salah is also quite devoutly religious and has a wife and daughter who speak English so it could be difficult to move them to another country.

His humility astounds me for someone as good as he is. It has been very difficult for a lot of players to keep that mentality when playing like that.

If City can manage to lose some games to mid-table teams next season I think Liverpool will be ready to challenge. Salah has gotten better as the season has gone on and could get even better than this honestly. I know his goal conversion is outrageous but that's related to when he actually decides to shoot. I believe he now leads Europe for the Golden Shoe.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London

I guess that statistic is another one that applies to 38 game seasons only. Shearer is credited by the Premier League's website with 34 goals and 13 assists for Blackburn in their title-winning 1994/95 season.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I also say Suarez was all around better than Salah. Salah has a certain Firmino(and Mane). When Suarez was in Liverpool, it was basically a one-man team.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well, he's 2nd in the league (and no manager on earth would have United above that this year) and in the FA Cup semifinal. The CL exit was obviously a setback, but then at the end of the day where you go out doesn't really matter unless you make the Final. Objectively, United's season is no worse and perhaps a touch better than Liverpool's (again depending on how Liverpool end up doing in the CL)..but Liverpool seem to love Klopp and Mourinho is seen like a dude on the edge of the relegation zone. I guess that's what happens when your team always looks like crap even when you're winning..

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well, he's 2nd in the league (and no manager on earth would have United above that this year) and in the FA Cup semifinal. The CL exit was obviously a setback, but then at the end of the day where you go out doesn't really matter unless you make the Final. Objectively, United's season is no worse and perhaps a touch better than Liverpool's (again depending on how Liverpool end up doing in the CL)..but Liverpool seem to love Klopp and Mourinho is seen like a dude on the edge of the relegation zone. I guess that's what happens when your team always looks like crap even when you're winning..

Which makes this latest outburst even more ridiculous when you consider the timing. It's not like they lost to Brighton and went out of the Cup. It was completely unnecessary to go public and he basically dumped on every player in the squad and on Woodward if you think about it. Completely unnecessary and this coming from a guy who got rid of Mata, de Bruyne, Salah and Lukaku.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Suarez took a bunch of nobodies to the top(near). Pretty easy as to which season was better.

I understand why people think this because Suarez was amazing, but this narrative that he carried the team that far is a false reality that doesn't mesh with the real one.

1. He missed four games for biting, none of which Liverpool lost.

2. The big wins people remember happened without him having the impact people think he had. The Everton 4-0 was down to Sturridge, the 5-1 against Arsenal was in extremely large part because of Gerrard putting two early set pieces straight on Skrtel's head, and the big City win happened when Coutinho lashed the ball in the back of the net. In the Manchester United game, Sturridge and Allen won two penalties, there was another for handball, and Gerrard smashed two of them in. Against Norwich when Liverpool couldn't mount much attack at all, Sterling smashes the ball in from 25 yards away. puts a ball in for Suarez to tap it in, and scored once more.

There was also the Swansea game where for some reason Henderson smashes the ball in twice when circumstances were such that they should have lost. Another thing people forget is that Sturridge scored in 8 straight games after returning from an injury. The simple fact is that season featured players who were on their way to the top, those obviously being Suarez, Coutinho, and Sterling. Then a player with experience who was having his last outstanding season in Gerrard, and another player in Sturridge who would have been at the top if not for getting hurt all the time. Of course there are also games that Suarez carried the team to victories, that is not in dispute.

In the subsequent season after he left, Sturridge is hurt nearly the whole season, so it's no surprise what happened to Liverpool. They were still only 6 points off 4th and if Sturridge had actually been able to play, who knows what would have happened. Instead he played 12 league games, all of which weren't at 100%, after playing 29 the year before.

Now it's true Salah isn't carrying the current Liverpool team because the team has overall balance, but it's also very clear where they'd be without him. It's also his debut season and on top of that he's managing to play European competition as well and scoring in those games while maintaining his league form.

Last edited:

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

The criticism is fair when you play like Mourinho does. It's embarrassing.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I think the difference is one fanbase has high standards and expects to be winning trophies and titles not winning the prettiest team out there award, while the other fanbase continually deludes itself into thinking they are much better than they are despite the repeated results showing that they aren't.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think the difference is one fanbase has high standards and expects to be winning trophies and titles not winning the prettiest team out there award, while the other fanbase continually deludes itself into thinking they are much better than they are despite the repeated results showing that they aren't.

Your obsession is cute, but I can't tell which one you actually mean seeing as United has crashed out to Sevilla and Basel in some of the last few seasons. Moreover Manchester United fans do expect good football and got it for years from Ferguson. Of course that's the kind of thing driving some of the criticism.

In any case the criticism about Mourinho is totally fair because he spent a gigantic amount of money and if Klopp doesn't bring results next season, no doubt the knives will be out from some people. Klopp has a minuscule net spend compared to Mourinho in the first place.

Reactions: MarkStone

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Which makes this latest outburst even more ridiculous when you consider the timing. It's not like they lost to Brighton and went out of the Cup. It was completely unnecessary to go public and he basically dumped on every player in the squad and on Woodward if you think about it. Completely unnecessary and this coming from a guy who got rid of Mata, de Bruyne, Salah and Lukaku.

It wasn't. When players can't compelete easy passes and despite training two days a higher tempo game, after about a half an hour they keep walking or standing around on the pitch, the players should take responsibility for their play. Lukaku didn't call some players out after the Sevilla game without reason. There's more than a few players whose quality of play has dropped greatly from earlier in the season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
@Live in the Now

I think you're focusing far too much on individual moments and games and not looking at the whole of how Suarez performed vs. what Salah is doing on the field. We've what...played 3 games without Salah this season and had 2 wins and a loss (and the loss was with our B team against Leicester). Salah is essentially pulling a Ronaldo with Liverpool -- his focus is to score goals, for the most part. He rarely tracks back, he is constantly looking for space to get into, and the rest of our team is built to facilitate that with the work they put in -- especially in Firmino's case. It felt kind of like our entire gameplan with Suarez in the side was to get him the ball and hope he could create something out of it. He was tireless, and much more involved in the build up of the play while also creating a ton of space for those around him.

It's late and I could go into a much more detailed post about Suarez's affect on this team but the superlatives being thrown Salah's way are a bit over the top. He's improved his finishing and composure in the final third tremendously. He's incredibly quick and controls the ball well. Again, I think he's got a playstyle that reminds me of a hybrid Ronaldo/Messi. He plays like if Messi played like Ronaldo (CR7) does (though he's obviously not as good as Messi)...if that even makes sense.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
@Live in the Now

I think you're focusing far too much on individual moments and games and not looking at the whole of how Suarez performed vs. what Salah is doing on the field. We've what...played 3 games without Salah this season and had 2 wins and a loss (and the loss was with our B team against Leicester). Salah is essentially pulling a Ronaldo with Liverpool -- his focus is to score goals, for the most part. He rarely tracks back, he is constantly looking for space to get into, and the rest of our team is built to facilitate that with the work they put in -- especially in Firmino's case. It felt kind of like our entire gameplan with Suarez in the side was to get him the ball and hope he could create something out of it. He was tireless, and much more involved in the build up of the play while also creating a ton of space for those around him.

It's late and I could go into a much more detailed post about Suarez's affect on this team but the superlatives being thrown Salah's way are a bit over the top. He's improved his finishing and composure in the final third tremendously. He's incredibly quick and controls the ball well. Again, I think he's got a playstyle that reminds me of a hybrid Ronaldo/Messi. He plays like if Messi played like Ronaldo (CR7) does (though he's obviously not as good as Messi)...if that even makes sense.

I definitely looked at the whole of how Suarez performed before coming to this conclusion. One way it is easy to look at the whole of Salah's performances is seeing how many goals Firmino is scoring as a #9 now compared to last season. I thought the best performance either of these players had considering competition was a game Suarez played against Zenit, Salah has still not approached that level in any singular game. It is still every week with this stuff. Suarez also scored from a few free kicks, which Salah has not yet done. That is an impact all of its own as well, but there's something else people seem to not realize. Suarez scored zero times against a top four team that year. That's something I did not make up, it's 100% fact. You make of it what you want.

Does anyone think Ronaldo is less important to RM's success than the other players there? That's effectively the argument and in those terms, Ronaldo's impact on RM speaks for itself. I mean, you can't have it both ways here. I believe you're one of the people who talks about how great Ronaldo is. Well, this one speaks for itself. That all being said this is still only a debut season. It could get better or it could get worse. Ultimately time will tell. Personally I believe Suarez got better after leaving Liverpool, but a lot of other players around the world improved at the same time and the recognition he should probably get will never come to him, for both that and other reasons.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It wasn't. When players can't compelete easy passes and despite training two days a higher tempo game, after about a half an hour they keep walking or standing around on the pitch, the players should take responsibility for their play. Lukaku didn't call some players out after the Sevilla game without reason. There's more than a few players whose quality of play has dropped greatly from earlier in the season.

It was. There was absolutely zero need for him to go public. Furthermore, that inheritance nonsense and the bit about the players he'll be passing on was also unnecessary on top of going too far. That's not to mention the hypocrisy and the passing of the buck. A true supporter of the club would actually call him out on it rather than blindly defend him over and over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad