Premier League 2017-2018

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't even see why it's much of a question.

That's not saying Salah and Robertson are bad, but Lacazette and Kolasinac are both better players and there's not a meaningful age difference between the pairs to make a difference

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
What has Lacazette done to put him over Salah?

What has Kolasinac done to put him over Robertson?

In both cases the latter two have looked better in the PL, and both are NT mainstays (Salah dragged Egypt into the WC nearly singlehandedly might I add, while Lacazette has underwhelmed in his cameos for France). But if you've already made up your mind that Lacazette and Kolasinac are better because name brand and whatnot all the power to you. I like both pairs though, and I wouldn't say there's a meaningful difference either way.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's got a much better goal scoring record and Salah doesn't bring near enough in chance creation to make up for it for me.

Well, I mean Salah recorded 15 goals and 11 assists last season while Lacazette scored 28 goals and 3 assists...of course 10 of those goals were penalties. So if you give Salah 10 penalties it's not unreasonable to believe he'd be very close in goals, but he provides much more than Lacazette does, and Salah isn't a striker. But to each their own (previous year was similar, Salah with 14 goals though and Lacazette with 21 (8 penalties IIRC).)

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Well, I mean Salah recorded 15 goals and 11 assists last season while Lacazette scored 28 goals and 3 assists...of course 10 of those goals were penalties. So if you give Salah 10 penalties it's not unreasonable to believe he'd be very close in goals, but he provides much more than Lacazette does, and Salah isn't a striker. But to each their own (previous year was similar, Salah with 14 goals though and Lacazette with 21 (8 penalties IIRC).)

Different leagues. Ligue 1 is harder to score in.

And Kolasinac was named in the Bundesliga team of the year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Salah has the same number of goals as Lacazette, more assists, and many more chances created so far this season in the same league.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

In the previous 3 years, Lacazette has 69 non pen goals (might be a couple off), and 13 assists in 129 games. Salah has 43 goals (no pens) and 24 assists in 117 games.

I'll take 69/13 over 43/24 all day long, especially with the 43/24 is going to a team without a true striker and already has a glut of creators.

I'd actually be curious on the number of penalties drawn as well. I'd guess Lacazette, simply by being in the box more as a striker, would have drawn more pens than Salah has.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Salah has the same number of goals as Lacazette, more assists, and many more chances created so far this season in the same league.

1 assist more and Salah has played more minutes.

And what's your argument on Robertson vs Kolasinac within this 8 game sample size you are using?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
In the previous 3 years, Lacazette has 69 non pen goals (might be a couple off), and 13 assists in 129 games. Salah has 43 goals (no pens) and 24 assists in 117 games.

I'll take 69/13 over 43/24 all day long, especially with the 43/24 is going to a team without a true striker and already has a glut of creators.

If we're taking away penalties in the last 2 years though Salah has 29 goals and 17 assists; Lacazette has 31 goals and 6 assists. I would weight the most recent 2 years more heavily, especially when Salah has been clearly outperforming Lacazette in their new environments and internationally.

I'd actually be curious on the number of penalties drawn as well. I'd guess Lacazette, simply by being in the box more as a striker, would have drawn more pens than Salah has.

Easy enough to figure out. Transfermarkt counts penalties drawn as assists (as they should) and whoscored doesn't. According to that Lacazette has drawn 0 penalties over the last 2 seasons and Salah has drawn 4.

1 assist more and Salah has played more minutes.

2 assists more and he's played 40 more minutes over 8 games where they've both been a sub once. They've both started 7 games and subbed 1. But...sure.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
If we're taking away penalties in the last 2 years though Salah has 29 goals and 17 assists; Lacazette has 31 goals and 6 assists. I would weight the most recent 2 years more heavily, especially when Salah has been clearly outperforming Lacazette in their new environments and internationally.

Easy enough to figure out. Transfermarkt counts penalties drawn as assists (as they should) and whoscored doesn't. According to that Lacazette has drawn 0 penalties over the last 2 seasons and Salah has drawn 4.

2 assists more and he's played 40 more minutes over 8 games where they've both been a sub once. They've both started 7 games and subbed 1. But...sure.

And what about Robertson vs Kolasinac?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
And what about Robertson vs Kolasinac?
What about them? I like what I've seen from Robertson; he was probably Liverpool's best player in the 1 PL game he got to start this season and he's been playing really well for Scotland while having a good track record with Hull (hence the buy). Kolasinac has been good for Arsenal and had a strong season in the BuLi. To me there's not a significant difference between the two from what I've seen though I think Kola is probably a bit stronger and better defensively while Robertson looks better offensively.

That said, like I said above there's probably not a huge difference between the two pairs. I'll take the Liverpool pair because they fit Liverpool better, I would say the player in the more important position is better (Salah > Lacazette) and the Liverpool pair are each a year younger.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lacazette only needs one or two chances to score, Salah gets like seven per game and maybe, just maybe scores on one of them.

Alexandre is a much more dangerous option considering the lack of finishing skillz Salah possesses. I don't think Wenger has used him properly enough because he deeply cares about giving Giroud minutes. So instead of going out there and playing his game, he has this constant worry that he's going to be replaced every single time at the 70th minute for Giroud.

As for Robertson vs Kolasinac, Robertson is a good young player and surprised why Liverpool isn't playing him more. He might have more potential and mobility over Kolasinac in the long run, but Kolasinac is easily the better player and has different strengths. It's hard to compare the two because they play such a different style.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ashley wants to sell Newcastle by Christmas, this is the club Vince McMahon has been linked with in the past :laugh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ashley wants to sell Newcastle by Christmas, this is the club Vince McMahon has been linked with in the past :laugh:

neville%2Blevel.gif

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If Newcastle get competent owners they could be a very strong team. Would be interested to see how they do if they keep Rafa on and back him financially.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would be more interesting to hear what neutrals think about those 4 players rather than Poolfans hyping theirs.

As a Spursfan I much prefer Pool over Arsenal. I have had a soft spot for Salah since he dominated against us playing for Basel. Still I can’t see how this isn’t a win for Arsenal. Salah might prove me wrong at some point as players develop, but I stand by my claim saying neutrals would take the Arsenal players.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The war that has developed between Arsenal and Liverpool fans is this season's most underrated plot line. It's fantastic. and it's all over Oxlade-Chamberlin!

It's close btw the players, but I understand why Salah/Robertson make more sense for Klopp. Although Lacazette would have fit in nicely - he's fluid and moves well.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The war that has developed between Arsenal and Liverpool fans is this season's most underrated plot line. It's fantastic. and it's all over Oxlade-Chamberlin!

It's close btw the players, but I understand why Salah/Robertson make more sense for Klopp. Although Lacazette would have fit in nicely - he's fluid and moves well.

It's actually been going on for a while. Liverpool fans kept posting "Mighty" while they watched Arsenal playing in the CL for years while they at most played in Europa. Then the one year they make it to the CL and Arsenal didn't they suddenly become big headed and think they're miles better than Arsenal.

Then when you mention anything about the CL they will mention the 5 European titles they've won ages ago to try and justify they're still a big club. I mean I'm not even sure Milan fans do that.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
If Newcastle get competent owners and Ashley doesn't screw them over in the deal in a similar vein to what he pulled at Rangers (or even worse) they could be a very strong team. Would be interested to see how they do if they keep Rafa on and back him financially.

I've added the bolded part to emphasise just how unlikely it is that today's news is the beginning of happier ends.

There's a misconception that Newcastle's great problem is that all Ashley cares about is money. If that were true, the club would be in a far healthier state than it is. Ashley also cares about his self-image as a maverick who bucks conventional wisdom and wins. Where sports retail is concerned that reputation is justified. And I'm convinced he'll not leave football until he feels he's conquered it on his terms.

Naturally, I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's actually been going on for a while. Liverpool fans kept posting "Mighty" while they watched Arsenal playing in the CL for years while they at most played in Europa. Then the one year they make it to the CL and Arsenal didn't they suddenly become big headed and think they're miles better than Arsenal.

Then when you mention anything about the CL they will mention the 5 European titles they've won ages ago to try and justify they're still a big club. I mean I'm not even sure Milan fans do that.

Liverpool won the CL more recently than say...Arsenal won a PL title. Also obviously more recently than Arsenal has ever won any European trophy.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Ehhhhhh, that was me I think.

Arsenal's CL Final loss to Barcelona was harder to accomplish than Liverpool's CL win against Milan. Don't get me wrong, Liverpool had to win against Pirlo and Kaka, but they were fortunate it was penalties where upsets occur naturally. Arsenal had to fight against a Finals team consisting of Valdes, Deco, Ronaldinho (who was the best player in the world at the time), prime Puyol, and a world class Eto'o. Not even that, but Milan dominated that game and like Chelsea, Pool had one of the flukiest wins ever.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad