Speculation: Preference: Washington or Carolina

Who do you prefer the Islanders play in Round 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I was happy to draw Pittsburgh. Carolina scares me more than the Caps as well.
They are playing well with good chemistry and are young and hungry.
I rather play against the best anyways. The number 1 seed who won the cup. Obviously Trotz has an advantage with familiarity.
We matched up pretty well against the Caps. And won the season finale.

Reactions: Big L

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I rather play against the best anyways. The number 1 seed who won the cup. Obviously Trotz has an advantage with familiarity.
I think Isles also match up well vs CBJ. If Isles can advance again, I’d like to play CBJ in ECFs

Reactions: PWJunior

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, the Pens are better than the Isles on paper too and look what happened. Canes could be as dangerous as Caps or even more so. They really do remind me of the Isles, to a certain point - pretty young team full of players with the will to win, a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Also, completely agree with the last sentence.
The Isles are perceived to be a young team because they have some dynamic young players and they haven't been in the playoffs much so the average fan thinks they must be playing a lot of young draftees and lottery picks, but the Isles are the 7th oldest team in the league with an average age of 28.7 while Carolina is the 3rd youngest at 26.6.

Last edited:

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Since Jan 1

TeamWLOTLPtsPWPL
Bolts31926404Out
Canes301226212vs Caps
Bruins281056112vs Leafs
Isles271435740Caps/Canes
Caps241455321vs Canes
Pens231465204Out
CBJ241814940Bruins/Leafs
Leafs201764621vs Bruins
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
the Caps kinda backed in, IMO, and the Canes were battling hard just to get in. i think both are going to be tough, but i would rather play the Canes. Ovi is scary as shit, and Mrazek still hasn't proven himself in the PO's, IMO. plus the home ice advantage thing...

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
The Isles are perceived to be a young team because they have some dynamic young players and they haven't been in the playoffs much so the average fan thinks they must be playing a lot of young draftees and lottery picks, but the Isles are the 7th oldest team in the league with an average age of 28.7 while Carolina is the 3rd youngest at 26.6.
agreed that we aren't 'young', but our core is relatively young. Lehner is young for a goalie, at 27. Boychuk SHOULD be replaced soon, in the top 4. Barzal (21), Beau (21), Lee (28), Bailey (29), Nelson (27), Cizikas (28), Pulock (24), Pelech (24), Toews (25). our core is relatively young, IMO.

Reactions: Instant

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

7th in the league with 28.7 is not old, considering there's more than 10 teams in the NHL... More than 15? I'm sorry, I have no idea how many, being the average fan that I apparently am :laugh:

So, while I appreciate the information you volunteered, I'm well acquainted with the Isles line-up and know how to Google stats.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think Isles also match up well vs CBJ. If Isles can advance again, I’d like to play CBJ in ECFs
The CBJ we matched up against well is not the same team we would be matching up against now. Obviously the TD moves they made didn't start clicking in right away and it even looked like they might be a disaster for a while, but they sure are clicking now. Not saying we can't take them at all, but a much tougher task. Anyway, a lot has to happen before we, or they, get there.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
The last game meant nothing for the Caps and they sat out three of there best players.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
7th in the league with 28.7 is not old, considering there's more than 10 teams in the NHL... More than 15? I'm sorry, I have no idea how many, being the average fan that I apparently am :laugh:

So, while I appreciate the information you volunteered, I'm well acquainted with the Isles line-up and know how to Google stats.
Easy there dude, I wasn't calling you an average fan. I too was surprised by what I found and wouldn't have even thought of it until I heard Ebbs say "we're not a young team" in a post game interview after game 2 or 3, I can't remember which.

Having said that, your logic is flawed, and yes, relative to the rest of the league, we are and old team, particularly relative to Carolina, which is what your original comment was about. In NHL terms, we're old, they're young.

Last edited:

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Just be careful what you wish for, anything can happen in the playoffs, think of how many Pens fans were happy they drew us in the first round. Not to mention all the media pundits not giving us a shot. We should all be hoping for Boychuk and Clutterbuck to be healthy.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
As long as whoever we are facing are getting beat up right now in a prolonged series the Isles are in a good place.

Reactions: Grizzly

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Just be careful what you wish for, anything can happen in the playoffs, think of how many Pens fans were happy they drew us in the first round. Not to mention all the media pundits not giving us a shot. We should all be hoping for Boychuk and Clutterbuck to be healthy.
:confused:

I doubt there is a single one among us that is hoping JB and Clutter to not be healthy.

Reactions: Instant

DOCHockeyGuy

Jan 8, 2019
Wisconsin
Give me Carolina after a 7 gamer. They are banged up right now which is probably why the Caps beat them, but I will hold out hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad