Speculation: Preference: Washington or Carolina

Who do you prefer the Islanders play in Round 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Just because I'd love to see that ****show, I want Canes :laugh:

Tbh, neither team will be an easy opponent. Canes are young and have a lot to prove, Caps are battle-tested and know what it takes to win. That said, Canes goaltending is a bit of a questionmark and Caps could be tired. So just for the hockey gods over in Canada losing their collective **** over this, I want an Isles vs. Canes series.

Bunch of Jerks vs. Classless Greasy Losers :laugh:

Reactions: Instant

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Carolina is like the Isles south.Their arena is almost as loud as ours in the playoffs (the bowl design is almost exactly like the original coliseum) and their fans come alive in playoff time. The team is fast, has some offensive ability, can beat many teams to the puck, is getting good goaltending, and can play pretty solid D when focused. I think the Isles system can frustrate Wash more than the Canes.

I want to play the Caps. Playing CAR may not have a happy ending at all (other than I'll get to go to some games!!)

Reactions: DougieSmash

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
7 games should be the priority for rooting. Let them fight each other hard for 7 games while we rest up. With that, for obvious reasons I'd go with Carolina.

Although they have a bunch of talent up and down the roster and owuld be a tough test, here are my reasons the choice is obvious:

1. Goaltending - Mrazek has been strong but in most series I will expect Holtby is the tougher goalie. Mrazek has way less playoff experience.

2. Offensive firepower - Although, as I said, the Canes have some dynamic young players on offense, it is hard to win a 7 game series playing against Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and the rest of them. Although you coudl say the same about PIT, Washington will be hungrier in my opinion and those players won't be shut down as much as Malkin/Crosby were. Contained, possibly, but not flat-out blanked.

3. Experience - Carolina has not been in the playoff since 2009. A vast majority of their team has never sniffed the playoffs/played more than 82 games in a season. The Caps knew how to pace themselves this year and will have fuller tanks and more mental focus heading into round 2.

4. Home Ice - No brainer. Barc is no Barn but doesn't matter, it will be rocking in round 2.

Although the optimist in me says it doesn;t matter because I truly believe this team can beat anyone on any night in any arena. With that, the logical side of me realizes that one of these matchups just flat out gives us a better chance to make the ECF.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The only reason I care other than home ice is Tom Wilson. The guy is a psychopath, and he could go off at any second. When he does - puck, no puck, blindside, to the head, knee to knee, etc. he doesn't care. I won't look forward to that.

Reactions: eoin92

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Doesn’t matter it’s the playoffs and can’t take anyone lightly. Obviously on paper the Caps are way better. They also have the star power and championship pedigree. Trotz knows them inside and out. I don’t know how much of an advantage that would be.

Canes don’t have the names or the recent history but they’re a feisty and talented team. I’d like our chances against them better but this first round should prove that you never know and anything can happen.

I’m just hoping the Caps Canes goes 7 grueling games of them beating the shit out of each other.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Honestly, who would be considered the favorite in an Isles-Canes matchup? I'm thinking the Isles because of Trotz and Lehner. I wouldn't like to be considered the favorite though.

Although I'm sure the conversation would be "what did the Caps & Pens do wrong to let an Islanders - Hurricanes series happen?"

Hurricanes had not made the playoffs in yrs. I think 8 or 9.
So,I was pulling for them to get in.

Course,all that goodwill goes out of the window if they are our next opponent :mad:

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
A little snooping on the Caps site, they are worried because we play Trotz' system better than they ever did. The new coach smell in Washington has me thinking Trotz could school his successor, our players may not be the only ones looking for revenge.
We have to play our best whoever it is.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Since Jan 1

TeamWLOTLPtsPWPL
Bolts31926404Out
Canes301226212vs Caps
Bruins281056112vs Leafs
Isles271435740Caps/Canes
Caps241455321vs Canes
Pens231465204Out
CBJ241814940Bruins/Leafs
Leafs201764621vs Bruins
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: YoureMyBoyLou

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Doesn’t matter it’s the playoffs and can’t take anyone lightly. Obviously on paper the Caps are way better. They also have the star power and championship pedigree. Trotz knows them inside and out. I don’t know how much of an advantage that would be.

Canes don’t have the names or the recent history but they’re a feisty and talented team. I’d like our chances against them better but this first round should prove that you never know and anything can happen.

I’m just hoping the Caps Canes goes 7 grueling games of them beating the **** out of each other.

Well, the Pens are better than the Isles on paper too and look what happened. Canes could be as dangerous as Caps or even more so. They really do remind me of the Isles, to a certain point - pretty young team full of players with the will to win, a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Also, completely agree with the last sentence.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The only reason I care other than home ice is Tom Wilson. The guy is a psychopath, and he could go off at any second. When he does - puck, no puck, blindside, to the head, knee to knee, etc. he doesn't care. I won't look forward to that.
I definitely see some restraint in his game from previous years. The league came down hard on him at the beginning of the year and this is pretty much his last chance to stop being a moron.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Well, the Pens are better than the Isles on paper too and look what happened. Canes could be as dangerous as Caps or even more so. They really do remind me of the Isles, to a certain point - pretty young team full of players with the will to win, a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

Good points.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Since Jan 1

TeamWLOTLPtsPWPL
Bolts31926404Out
Canes301226212vs Caps
Bruins281056112vs Leafs
Isles271435740Caps/Canes
Caps241455321vs Canes
Pens231465204Out
CBJ241814940Bruins/Leafs
Leafs201764621vs Bruins
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Very telling. Also, I don’t think I’m going out on a limb saying teams would rather be playing their best hockey in the 2nd half of the season.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

I would not necessarily say the Pens are better than the Isles on paper.

The Pens offense and powerplay is better than the Isles on paper
The Isles defensive game and goaltending is better than the Pens on paper.

And we just proved the Defense just outplayed the offense.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Since Jan 1

TeamWLOTLPtsPWPL
Bolts31926404Out
Canes301226212vs Caps
Bruins281056112vs Leafs
Isles271435740Caps/Canes
Caps241455321vs Canes
Pens231465204Out
CBJ241814940Bruins/Leafs
Leafs201764621vs Bruins
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I think it is safe to say many wanted to play the Pens in the first round.
This table clearly points out why I want to play the Caps. They have just not been that good in the second half. I want nothing to do with the Bruins or Canes per the above.

In order I hope the play:

Caps
Leafs, Columbus over the Bruins

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Canes, only for home ice. But they haven’t played at Barcs in what, 2 months? Kinda like playing on the road So even 2, 3, or 4 at the Barc ain’t gonna exactly be like home ice. I think they’d match up very well with Washington, too. To say Barry knows Washington players balances out with Washington knows Trotz, so that’s a wash.

And @Islanders4Cups saying everyone wanted the penguins in round 1 is completely false, unless you’re saying everyone is me! (and maybe 2 others)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad