Speculation: Preference: Washington or Carolina

Who do you prefer the Islanders play in Round 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I have a hard time seeing Carolina pulling this one off. No Svechnikov, Ferland, and Martinook. Plus if Aho and de Haan are playing injured, that’s a lot of blows to that team.

I hope they do, but Washington are the reigning Cup champs. Completely different matchup.

It would be amazing for Mrazek to stand on his head and send the series back to Washington for a Game 7, but I find it really difficult to believe the Hurricanes could win both. The way Ovechkin played in game 5, nobody was going to beat the Capitals. But Hamilton's move - even if he thought the play should have been icing - just showed he was beat. I really don't understand. It's not like he was going to be stationary with the puck - he could have just rang it around and kept on skating around the net. He would have gotten rubbed, but not demolished. The only way that makes sense is that Hamilton was mentally at the end.

Assuming that it's going to be the Capitals (I do assume this), the puzzle for NYI is going to be figuring out how to protect Barzal and their skilled D from getting manhandled without taking retaliatory penalties against that power play. The officiating could be a factor for the series.

Reactions: seafoam

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
I just heard that on your podcast. Great podcast by the way! And I agree with Mark Parrish. Washington will be fired up and wants to beat Trotz, but the way that series took a turn last game, I cant see Carolina coming up with 2 wins and we will get Washington in the second round.

Thank you! Mark is a lot of fun, I’m hoping we get Bates and some of the other guys to participate over the summer, I’m very interested in their viewpoints of the 02/03 team.

That said, as we saw last night Canes aren’t done - this will be a battle until the final horn.

Curious to see the energy level of whoever comes out of this series and how the Isles respond to the downtime.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Both teams are very dangerous for different reasons. I like that Trotz has the inside scoop on the machine he built, can he disassemble it?

Washington’s star power was intimidating , but we just swept Sid and Malkin. Washington is older and has taken more of the beating, but they are also more experienced and probably tougher then Carolina.

Either series will be great, but I think we have a slightly better chance of eliminating the Canes who are not battle tested. I also was never big on Mrazek, I feel like he can be broken....

Holtby can steal a series which we know already.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Mark Parrish and I talk about this in the latest episode of my podcast, but the way he presented it is hard to argue.

He strongly advocates not going against Washington. I agree.
Link to the podcast? I can never have enough podcasts in my life

Except spitting chiclets, FU Ryan Whitney

Reactions: teknics

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Link to the podcast? I can never have enough podcasts in my life

Except spitting chiclets, FU Ryan Whitney

His is the Isles Faithful podcast: OT: - Unofficial Merchandise, Blogs, & Podcasts

Chiclets is great, I just with Borrelli wasn't such a tool because he's a large reason why Whit doesn't give any real analysis on the Islanders. Borrelli is a prime example of a hardcore fan who apparently knows very little and/or doesn't know how to keep his emotions in check.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Both Carolina and Washington would be challenging. I echo the desire for Carolina on account of the home ice advantage

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
TY

I knew isles anxiety and eye on isles, I will definitely add this to the list

Thank you!

Yeah I started up over the offseason when you know who left.

I had a press pass for my Blog (islesblogger) for almost ten years, so I draw from my experiences and contacts there and just have some lighthearted discussions.

I’ve been trying to be more active here like I was in the past, it’s so hard with kids and a family! The same reasons why I stopped writing so much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad