WJC: predictions (will be held in the summer)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They were far closer games then those scores indicate.
They sure were. I was actually worried during the Canadian game.

As for the semis...

Canada over Czechia

Finland over Sweden - could go either way

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well done.

I think Sweden might upset Finland. Do you think there is a chance?
Sweden vs Finland is always close, probaly becuse of the rivaly. Finland is alot better and should win. I would say its 90-10 in favor for the finns. But game will still be close, 3-2 to Finland

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sweden vs Finland is always close, probaly becuse of the rivaly. Finland is alot better and should win. I would say its 90-10 in favor for the finns. But game will still be close, 3-2 to Finland
90-10. Wow.

My head tells me Finland but my gut says Sweden.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Watched the SWE vs LATVIA game. Very close. That last minute save was huge from WALLSTEDT the Wall.....Was sleeping for the other games but pleasantly surprised to see CZECHIA took the win! Not a huge surprise but nice to know FIN has a good chance to advance to the GMG, were as playing CAN in semifinal would have most likely ended ugly. Predicting a CAN vs FIN final. Let's keep building the rivalry were it matters the most, in the GMG!

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Watched the SWE vs LATVIA game. Very close. That last minute save was huge from WALLSTEDT the Wall.....Was sleeping for the other games but pleasantly surprised to see CZECHIA took the win! Not a huge surprise but nice to know FIN has a good chance to advance to the GMG, were as playing CAN in semifinal would have most likely ended ugly. Predicting a CAN vs FIN final. Let's keep building the rivalry were it matters the most, in the GMG!
It's gonna be CAN-FIN final from now on.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
90-10. Wow.

My head tells me Finland but my gut says Sweden.
Loving the fact that Fin has 3 of the top 5 point-getters in the tournie but Fin is going to have to stay out of the box or finally find that penalty killing magic which they had last time around (late December 2021). I'd say 55-45 in favour of the blue and white. Going to be a close game. 4-2 for Fin. Last one an empty netter from Aatu.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Finland has the worst PK in this tournament at 45.45%, which is most definitely not a sign of a great team.
Finland also has the highest shooting percentage in this tournament at 16.27%, which is unsustainable.
I think Sweden is the clear favourite against Finland.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Loving the fact that Fin has 3 of the top 5 point-getters in the tournie but Fin is going to have to stay out of the box or finally find that penalty killing magic which they had last time around (late December 2021). I'd say 55-45 in favour of the blue and white. Going to be a close game. 4-2 for Fin. Last one an empty netter from Aatu.
The Finnish P.K is definitely a concern, they need to get it working better.On the other hand, unless sweden suddenly turns the switch and finds another gear I think Finland wins this game, I'll go 4-2 or 4-3, maybe wallstedt can push Sweden through but I'm not counting on it.they just haven't looked like a very good team.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
The Finnish P.K is definitely a concern, they need to get it working better.On the other hand, unless sweden suddenly turns the switch and finds another gear I think Finland wins this game, I'll go 4-2 or 4-3, maybe wallstedt can push Sweden through but I'm not counting on it.they just haven't looked like a very good team.
True. Very good points. Sweden looked very underwhelming offensively vs Latvia. Was a close game and could have gone either way. Finland should win by sheer offense but wouldn't be suprised if Wallstedt shut the door on the Finns.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don't I wish.

My head says : Canada / Finland final.

My gut says : Canada / Sweden final - Sweden has one GREAT game in them to beat Finland.
That's the concern if you're a Finnish fan, that one very competent game from Sweden, it's not like there isn't some talent on that team and they've got a good guy in net.

But cripes, they've got to compete out there, it's been the one big thing missing from their game aside from a few guys so far, no drive in their play. But maybe the big game brings out the best in them, who knows?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's the concern if you're a Finnish fan, that one very competent game from Sweden, it's not like there isn't some talent on that team and they've got a good guy in net.

But cripes, they've got to compete out there, it's been the one big thing missing from their game aside from a few guys so far, no drive in their play. But maybe the big game brings out the best in them, who knows?
Agree. Most teams have ONE BIG game in them - where they give it their all and exceeds expectations.

Czechia had it last night. So did the Swiss. Will Sweden have their BIG game against their rivals? They just might.

Reactions: Statsy and jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Agree. Most teams have ONE BIG game in them - where they give it their all and exceeds expectations.

Czechia had it last night. So did the Swiss. Will Sweden have their BIG game against their rivals? They just might.
I'm still picking Finland though, for the last at least ten years or so they have shown that more often then not, even if they haven't looked all that great going into the money games, they figure out a way to win and bring whatever A game it is that particular version of Team Finland has on the day it counts.The level of that A game can change from team to team, but they tend to find the one they have. I don't bet against proven winners very often and I'm not this time., especially against what so far has been a very underwhelming Team Sweden.

Reactions: illone84 and Statsy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm still picking Finland though, for the last at least ten years or so they have shown that more often then not, even if they haven't looked all that great going into the money games, they figure out a way to win and bring whatever A game it is that particular version of Team Finland has on the day it counts.The level of that A game can change from team to team, but they tend to find the one they have. I don't bet against proven winners very often and I'm not this time., especially against what so far has been a very underwhelming Team Sweden.
Team Finland is likely the correct choice.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
If Sweden just plays it smart and doesn't take too many penalties, I think they'll easily win against Finland.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
hoping for Canada vs finland final just because finland fans on here having been getting 2 big of a ego last few years lol. so would love to hand them a silver medal:naughty:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Sweden has just been too lethargic throughout this tournament, and that Finnish powerplay has been too deadly, so I’ll take Finland to go through.

Czechia played a near perfect QF and it’s hard to do that in back to back games. Despite Canada’s defensive struggles, I still believe they have enough firepower to get the job done.

Canada and Finland for the Gold.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Sweden has just been too lethargic throughout this tournament, and that Finnish powerplay has been too deadly, so I’ll take Finland to go through.

Czechia played a near perfect QF and it’s hard to do that in back to back games. Despite Canada’s defensive struggles, I still believe they have enough firepower to get the job done.

Canada and Finland for the Gold.
Finland's PK and defense is too shite. Meriläinen is also not a goaltender who can steal games when defense is bad.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Finland's PK and defense is too shite. Meriläinen is also not a goaltender who can steal games when defense is bad.
That’s an interesting counter point. However, Sweden has been a perimeter team and Merilainen’s weakness has been players hammering rebounds in, so he may not have a problem today. Should be a fascinating special teams match-up, though I feel that Finland has been the better 5 on 5 team. I’m still sticking with my Finland prediction.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
If Sweden just plays it smart and doesn't take too many penalties, I think they'll easily win against Finland.

I predict that either team wins it 2-0 with the first goal being in the first 10 minutes of the game and the last one in an open net. A very medicore game with lots of missed chances both ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad