WJC: predictions (will be held in the summer)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The plan is to hold this tournament in the summer.

I assume all the results from december will count and that the schedule will remain the same.

probaly not gonna be much roster changes.

Best looking teams where Finland and Slovakia imo. Worst was Austria and Sweden.

Finland, Canada, Germany and Czechia will advance to playoffs from group a.

Russia, Usa, Slovakia and Switzerland will advance from group b.

You can never count out Canada and USA, but i think the gold will end up beetween Slovakia, Finland and Russia.

Is the 2 worst placed team in the tournament gonna play a game against eachother? They often do if i remember correctly. Since there is no relegation, maybe not. But i think a game should be played for standings reasons. Austria is the major favorite in the game against Sweden.

Reactions: stastny12

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Sweden are the number one or number two gold favorite. I would probably think Sweden win with all the high end talent and Wallstedt in net. The trolling is funny though.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sweden are the number one or number two gold favorite. I would probably think Sweden win with all the high end talent and Wallstedt in net. The trolling is funny though.

Not trolling. Askarov had a bad day and Russia took many dumb penalties, thats why we won. Slovakia was just pure luck. They dominated us.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I would rather allow the teams to select anyone who was under 20 at the start of the tournament than to restrict teams to just stick to their previous rosters only because the NHL sabotaged roster selections at the time. Germany in particular would be significantly stronger with the additions of Stützle, Peterka and Reichel.

Reactions: AB13

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Teams will be more inclined to stop their top prospects from going given how close the tournament is to the start of the seasons.

Whoever drafts Wright for example, may not want him playing in the games in case he gets injured and misses the start of the NHL season.

Reactions: Czechboy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Teams will be more inclined to stop their top prospects from going given how close the tournament is to the start of the seasons.

Whoever drafts Wright for example, may not want him playing in the games in case he gets injured and misses the start of the NHL season.

Yeah if it happens, and it still seems like a big if, it will be interesting to see if teams are allowed to pick different players and which players will opt out.

Reactions: Voight and Czechboy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The plan is to hold this tournament in the summer.

Best looking teams where Finland and Slovakia imo. Worst was Austria and Sweden.

Is the 2 worst placed team in the tournament gonna play a game against eachother? They often do if i remember correctly. Since there is no relegation, maybe not. But i think a game should be played for standings reasons. Austria is the major favorite in the game against Sweden.

Why don't you just post this drivel in a separate thread instead of inserting it into every post about anything remotely about Sweden?

It's obvious they are living rent free inside your head.

Reactions: Gold Standard

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah if it happens, and it still seems like a big if, it will be interesting to see if teams are allowed to pick different players and which players will opt out.

They would have to be allowed to pick different players if their rosters were depleted one would think.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
They would have to be allowed to pick different players if their rosters were depleted one would think.

sure, make it a dream team all players who were age eligible in Dec/Jan (including NHLers) type of tournament. In that case, Canada would be heavy heavy favorites.

Hope it happens.

Reactions: Czechboy

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It'll be weird if we see player like Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale, Byfield, etc. get loaned as teams want them to play over the offseason.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I dont think there should be roster changes aside from injury.

I agree with this. I just think it will be so hard to police. Depending on when it is, will guys rather be gearing up for NHL camps than risk injury in the summer? Hopefully everyone will still go though and seems kinda disingenuous to have NHL ringers coming in. Would make for a great tourney though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

They would, it just seems awkward to me. I could be wrong but if I had to guess, teams won't want to cut players who made the team in December. If someone like Power or Sanderson opts out because they are NHLers by that point, then that's a different situation.

I agree with this. I just think it will be so hard to police. Depending on when it is, will guys rather be gearing up for NHL camps than risk injury in the summer? Hopefully everyone will still go though and seems kinda disingenuous to have NHL ringers coming in. Would make for a great tourney though.

Yeah it's a weird thing to consider. I do think that they would hold them to the original rosters as much as possible, and I'm not sure how much impact it would have on some teams. If a player missed the tournament due to covid, do you still hold them out in the summer when they presumably don't have it? Can you cut players who made the team and went into the tournament only to have the rug pulled out from under them just to make room for better players who weren't there in December?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So Czechs would get jiricek back and hopefully add sapoliv as he seems to be a first rounder now. So that's nice.

Canada would add a few NHL players... So one of the gold favorites got stronger.

If Germany can add their 3... They have to be a medal contender.

Raymond on a good swede squad would be hard to contain.

Wonder if Russians would add any of their north american players?

This could be a very rare and legit best on best.

Finals gets raty back.

I'm sure the states had a few guys in NHL too.

No idea what the roster rules are but a lot of rosters just got stronger. Could be an amazing tourney if everyone goes.

Reactions: AB13

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Germany could be stronger, Stutzle, Peterka, Reichel ...

In case like this I can't see Ottawa letting Sutzle play. Say the tournaments in July, thats 2 months from pre season and the regular season shortly after. Any long term injury would screw them.

Now, in 2012 the Oilers let RNH play in the World Juniors weeks before the league resumed, likewsie with Dach last year so if theyre willing to take the risk they will release him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well, for Sweden only Raymond would be added. He is a very good player. But that wont change anything. We would still have the worst roster in the tournament.

Well Sweden probably wouldn't add Raymond as it would only make a bad roster worse right?:sarcasm::help:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Seeing how much time Wright has missed due to COVID I think his NHL team would be wise to let him play one more year in the OHL. It's not like he's too good for it or anything right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad