GDT: Preddy @ Wild | "Grief Of A Predator" | 7.00 PM | FSN/KFAN 100.3

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Im very confident that things will change after some more chemistry is in the lines... Zach and Dany are just starting to know each other and it already working out fine.. Thiink about when they are more confident with each others moves around net etc.. :yo:

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Losing this game is not that big of a deal. I'm more curious to see how they respond myself.

We played a pretty good first period, not so great a second, and the third was good in parts and bad in others. We mainly lost because of a mistake that turned into a teamwide fail. It happens. As long as they learn from this and develop more into a cohesive team, then it will have been a good learning lesson.

Mumbler*

I appologize if this has been brought up a thousand times already, but IMHO this team doesn't win consistently without finding at least 2 more NHL quality Defensman....T.G was aweful again last night......Spurgie.. God bless him is too small.....This group will totally collapse IF we do make the PO's...I get that "It's early" and i'm certainly not in panic mode, but for the most part, at least as far as i'm concerned, these Dfenseman we have Minus Suter are a shade above what's down in Houston. I would have to think The Brass must see this......Correct?

I thought Gilbert had a good game overall. Kind of a beast I thought.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Gilbert was good. Stoner was good. Suter was subpar/ok (by his standards). Spurgeon was ok.

Do I remember correct, was it Spurgeon that kind of got tossed around in the D-zone before their first goal?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
First goal, Powe decides to come down and play left side defense then bails on his guy because he left the point wide open, Spurgeon rushes over to try and move him (and does not), Suter's covering absolutely nobody on the right side, and then nobody's covering Spaling as Konopka rushes in to try and play left defense as well. Basically a mini-mite cluster****.

Second goal was Parise's awful breakout pass to Erat, Backstrom comes out to play the puck but Erat intercepts the clear, swoops in for the goal while everyone else glides in to the zone.

Third goal, Gilbert fails to clear the zone while the forwards all fly the zone early (which is okay because you're down a goal late, nothing to lose), 3-on-1 with Suter trailing, nobody really had a chance here.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Spurgeon did have control of the puck twice in the corner and failed to execute the breakout both times before the first goal. First pass tried to go to Powe towards the middle of the ice as the d-man was pinching on Konopka up the boards, puck hit Spaling's skate, 2nd time puck gets cleared to the corner as we collapsed to our net, Spurgeon goes up the boards out of Konopka's reach.

Of course there were other mistakes on the play as well, puck should've never got into our zone but Suter whiffed on it in the neutral zone. Backstrom could(should IMO with the 4th line on the ice) have went for a whistle on the initial shot after the first failed breakout as well.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
everyone knows the Spurge isn't my favorite, but he's just rusty like everyone else. He's usually a lot quicker making decisions and the fact that he's still around to get hit or dishing it to an opponent just means he's a second below his normal execution time. In other words, he's probably making the right decisions, only a second too late. He'll get up to game speed...its really more noticeable on him because that's his strength--the speed at which he processes the play. Stoner's strength is physical play and he's picked it up so he stands out to me. Gilbert looks like he's adopted physical play until his brain catches up; not normally his calling card but he's doing something productive while he gets his game legs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Being too lazy to read back through the thread, did we like Gilbert's decision to pass across to Brodziak on that one passing play? It seemed as though he a pretty good lane to shoot it himself, but if Brodz doesn't whiff, it's probably a goal anyway.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Being too lazy to read back through the thread, did we like Gilbert's decision to pass across to Brodziak on that one passing play? It seemed as though he a pretty good lane to shoot it himself, but if Brodz doesn't whiff, it's probably a goal anyway.

Was happy with it. That line needs to get Cullen down there stat to help out I think. Bouchard should be skating with Granlund and Seto. I know Cullen is only there to help out with faceoffs still. Granlund needs to stop getting thrown out :biglaugh:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
everyone knows the Spurge isn't my favorite, but he's just rusty like everyone else. He's usually a lot quicker making decisions and the fact that he's still around to get hit or dishing it to an opponent just means he's a second below his normal execution time. In other words, he's probably making the right decisions, only a second too late. He'll get up to game speed...its really more noticeable on him because that's his strength--the speed at which he processes the play. Stoner's strength is physical play and he's picked it up so he stands out to me. Gilbert looks like he's adopted physical play until his brain catches up; not normally his calling card but he's doing something productive while he gets his game legs.

Couldn't agree more. I am sure most of it is rust. I also think, and this is obviously pure speculation, he is thinking too much and trying to do too much now that he is playing with Suter.

RE: Posters seeing different things. I think that, unless all of us re-watch the game and only focus on certain players every shift, this is going to happen. It is interesting to me, though, because I thought some players played well whereas some of you saw differently.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

I thought there were 2 or 3 opportunities in that game where there was plenty of time to shoot but they went for one more pass. Koivu in the first, the play you mentioned, and another when Heatley kinda froze (but it sounded like a whistle went off on the Nashville feed) for a second which allowed the goalie to be in position for his shot.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Was happy with it. That line needs to get Cullen down there stat to help out I think. Bouchard should be skating with Granlund and Seto. I know Cullen is only there to help out with faceoffs still. Granlund needs to stop getting thrown out :biglaugh:

Agreed.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'll agree with everyone that Suter's been struggling a little bit, but I also think it's a little unreasonable to make a big deal about a guy being the team-worst in +/- when he's also averaging 25:43 a night and constantly being matched against top lines.

I still think Backs **** the bed last night and there's just no getting around it. He made two decisions; coming out to play the puck was a good one, but trying to clear through Erat's legs (if that's what he was going for...?) was a cringeworthy one. Sure, Spurgeon shouldn't have left the point when he did, and sure, Parise shouldn't have passed to an empty point with a defender in the middle. But when it comes down to it, Backs' gaffe was the biggest gaffe, and the one that cost us the game.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Even with the Erat Gaffe aside Backs hasn't filled me with confidence in his 2 games.
He's been flopping around more than usual it seems, he's usually at his best when he makes being a goalie look boring.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Someone should have been covering the point? Wow. I've heard them all now.

Parise passes the puck to the point without looking to see if there's a defender. There is. He basically makes a breakout pass to Erat who tips it past Spurgeon for a breakaway.

I also see the puck bouncing a bit towards the end there. If the puck flew flat, Backs would have had an extra half second. The more I'm watching, the less it looks like Backs' fault.

But what the hell do I know.

Look at the first few seconds of your clip. Please explain what Spurgeon was doing. He's way deep heading at an angle towards the net, totally abandoning the point. WTF is that?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Look at the first few seconds of your clip. Please explain what Spurgeon was doing. He's way deep heading at an angle towards the net, totally abandoning the point. WTF is that?

It kinda looks like he thought Zach would dish him the puck driving to the net. Obviously Parise wasn't thinking that at all. This was all on Spurgeon.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This was all on the fact that they have had so little time together that nobody is sure what their teammates are doing.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Harding's probably the starting goalie against Detroit right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad