GDT: Predators at Calgary- Flaming Kittens - 7 PM SN360, FS-TN

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No question Monahan is our top C, but Bennett outplayed him tonight. I think as Bennett continues down this road, his confidence will grow and he will relax more with the puck on his stick and we will see him finish more. I’ve said this before, but at some point I’d like to see Bennett play C on a line with Tkachuk. Those 2 were made for each other.
He's been on fire but the more I think about it, the more I believe that Bennett and Tkachuk's styles aren't as compatible as Bennett with Gaudreau. The 2nd line plays a strong, slow cycle game that wears down the opposition whereas Bennett is more of a north-south guy that plays with a lot of speed and on the counter-attack a lot.

Only problem is that Lindholm has been a beast and I don't see Peters splitting Gaudreau and Monahan anytime soon so Bennett will have to continue clawing and scratching his way up to the top-6

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I mean I understand Valimaki getting a lot of sheltered minutes (Stone should be playing better, but I understand why you shelter him too), but you can't play a largely inexperienced pair like this and expect it to be perfect. Heck, Giordano was never getting this many d-zone starts even when our team was absolute trash and he and Brodie were the only glimmers of hope on the blueline. Really hoping Hamonic is better soon (and please sit Stone as well).
I don't often say anything plus about Stone, but he had a nice game today.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No question Monahan is our top C, but Bennett outplayed him tonight. I think as Bennett continues down this road, his confidence will grow and he will relax more with the puck on his stick and we will see him finish more. I’ve said this before, but at some point I’d like to see Bennett play C on a line with Tkachuk. Those 2 were made for each other.

The team has much better depth this year. Bennett just need to keep it up, he'll have some good players to play with.. ....at least he is not stuck with Jank and Hathaway who shouldnt be in the NHL.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't often say anything plus about Stone, but he had a nice game today.

He was fine, but he didn't look good when he got harder minutes on that second pair. Kinda maddening two 21 year old dmen have to be thrown to the wolves because somebody can't handle those tougher minutes.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
The team has much better depth this year. Bennett just need to keep it up, he'll have some good players to play with.. ....at least he is not stuck with Jank and Hathaway who shouldnt be in the NHL.
Jank and Hatha don't belong. I agree, what would you do is the question,,,

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
He was fine, but he didn't look good when he got harder minutes on that second pair. Kinda maddening two 21 year old dmen have to be thrown to the wolves because somebody can't handle those tougher minutes.
Cause he isn't a top 4 guy. Has never been and never will be.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hanifin is ready to handle those tough minutes, and to be frank it’s only going to develop him faster and grow his game more. Look at when Jones went to Columbus, his game grew leaps and bounds in the first 2 seasons there. We’re gonna witness that with Hanifin now. I truly believe he’s an elite 2-way defender and we need to enjoy the ride. He quietly had an excellent game tonight.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hanifin is ready to handle those tough minutes, and to be frank it’s only going to develop him faster and grow his game more. Look at when Jones went to Columbus, his game grew leaps and bounds in the first 2 seasons there. We’re gonna witness that with Hanifin now. I truly believe he’s an elite 2-way defender and we need to enjoy the ride. He quietly had an excellent game tonight.
He was great except for the pinch that led to the GWG. That was one of those "no no no no nooooooooooooo" plays where you're just watching with horror. Though to be fair to him from the time he pinched until the time he eventually lost the battle, there should have been enough time for someone to support him. I just think the forwards were all committed down low and he made the jump anyway, and then played it as if he had support and didn't need to worry about a chip past him.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Ehh... I mean that pinch was pretty awful. I understand easing Hanifin into more zone starts, but he's gone from 65% ozone starts to 35% in the span of one off-season, and that can totally f*** a d-man up. Look at Bouwmeester as an example of that.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He was great except for the pinch that led to the GWG. That was one of those "no no no no nooooooooooooo" plays where you're just watching with horror. Though to be fair to him from the time he pinched until the time he eventually lost the battle, there should have been enough time for someone to support him. I just think the forwards were all committed down low and he made the jump anyway, and then played it as if he had support and didn't need to worry about a chip past him.

I still think Smith should have stopped that shot. It's not an easy stop but you would expect a good goalie to make the save.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I still think Smith should have stopped that shot. It's not an easy stop but you would expect a good goalie to make the save.
I dunno. If that's a shot a goalie should stop, then essentially you're saying no wrist shots should ever go in on odd-man rushes. He put it hard, right in the corner. It didn't go through him. He didn't move out of the way of it like the Sutter goal in the home opener. The overhead view confirmed it. The shot went beside and above his blocker. Smith moved correctly, but there just wasn't enough time to get to the puck with his blocker.

I know it's Rinaldo, but even stupid, talentless plugs, when put in that spot, can shoot the puck by the time they get to the NHL, and even if that's the best shot he would ever take in 100 times trying, it's the shot he took tonight (unfortunately for us).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The thing is, yeah sure there’s going to be growing pains with a player that’s as young as Hanifin is. But you live with it, because he’s going to learn from that. Overall this kid is a total stud.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I dunno. If that's a shot a goalie should stop, then essentially you're saying no wrist shots should ever go in on odd-man rushes. He put it hard, right in the corner. It didn't go through him. He didn't move out of the way of it like the Sutter goal in the home opener. The overhead view confirmed it. The shot went beside and above his blocker. Smith moved correctly, but there just wasn't enough time to get to the puck with his blocker.

I know it's Rinaldo, but even stupid, talentless plugs, when put in that spot, can shoot the puck by the time they get to the NHL, and even if that's the best shot he would ever take in 100 times trying, it's the shot he took tonight (unfortunately for us).

It may be Rinaldo's only goal this year ;)

He didnt come out fast enough to cover the angle...Again, you cant totally blame him but it's the difference between winning and losing. Your goalie needs to make the tough save and stand the ground. The Flames were behind all night while they were the better team...and yeah i know brain farts.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It was a good and bad game, I think/hope the goaltending wil be ok but hopefully ground work is being laid for a upgrade in net(it has to be a clear upgrade on what we have.)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Smith could have played better, but we have to keep in mind that Nashville is arguably the best teaming the NHL right now. They only have one loss, and that was being shutout by us. Since then they have only allowed 12 goals, 3 goals being tonight. We played a decent, yet sloppy game but still kept it close. We had multiple opportunities where the puck barely missed the net.

I'm not to worried about Smith, he'll bounce back. We have to keep in mind we just played against a team that is playing really hot right now.

I am not discounting any of our poor play, just think we are looking way into Smith's performance. What needs to be worked on is not allowing odd man rushes and pinching at the right time.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Smith could have played better, but we have to keep in mind that Nashville is arguably the best teaming the NHL right now. They only have one loss, and that was being shutout by us. Since then they have only allowed 12 goals, 3 goals being tonight. We played a decent, yet sloppy game but still kept it close. We had multiple opportunities where the puck barely missed the net.

I'm not to worried about Smith, he'll bounce back. We have to keep in mind we just played against a team that is playing really hot right now.

I am not discounting any of our poor play, just think we are looking way into Smith's performance. What needs to be worked on is not allowing odd man rushes and pinching at the right time.

Yeah we are playing pretty well and we’ve had a fairly tough schedule so far.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It may be Rinaldo's only goal this year ;)

He didnt come out fast enough to cover the angle...Again, you cant totally blame him but it's the difference between winning and losing. Your goalie needs to make the tough save and stand the ground. The Flames were behind all night while they were the better team...and yeah i know brain farts.
I guess. At the end of the day, we could have won this game two ways. Smith making those difficult saves, or forwards burying those easy chances. :/

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Looking back I can't see how anyone could blame Smith for any goal other than the 3rd one with the failed pad stack.

Like are we seriously blaming Smith for the 4th goal? If Monahan rips one of those home, no one would call it a softie - just business as usual. Every dog has his day and today it was Rinaldo

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Thoughts:
Bennett is quickly becoming a star on this team. Having him develop like this, at this time, is like found money and a lot of it. He was the most impressive Calgary forward tonight.

Other thoughts:
Has Monahan ever won a board battle?

Not sure if serious. He completely owned Turris all night on the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad