GDT: Predators at Calgary- Flaming Kittens - 7 PM SN360, FS-TN

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Every goal is a result of an error. He's an NHL goalie, and he's leaking almost every high danger chance these days. n
Every high-danger chance comes from someone getting beat. That's not always the type of error we saw tonight. Sometimes it's as simple as losing a battle, or getting beat on the rush by your guy. It's okay to not be as good as your opposition and lose because of it. Systems are designed around contingencies when players get beat, but it can still lead to a goal. And goals can also be scored from low-danger chances where all of the skaters do their job, but a shot gets through and the goalie can't stop it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well it sucks we lost, but I am not at all mad. I feel like we really outplayed them. Also I’ve seen enough of Bennett now to say he’s consistently been one of our best players most of the season. I’m not saying he’s the player we thought he would be when we drafted him, but I feel fully confident to say that we’re seeing a top 6 player that makes an impact on the game. He was easily the best player for us tonight. He did today what Tkachuk does for us almost every night. He was playing with speed, made good chips and dumps and used his body to pound the other team. I’m so glad Treliving didn’t do something dumb and deal him.

I love this team so much.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Sure but everytime you made a mistake, it's in the net....You would expect your goalie to make a big save some time. There is no question who has a better goalie tonight
Without question, that's an exaggeration. Smith made a lot of quality saves tonight, often when the game was tied or within one goal. Difficult saves, too. You just want him to stop a higher percentage of them, which is fair. I think he has that in him. But if we could cut down the brain-farts, that issue should take care of itself.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well it sucks we lost, but I am not at all mad. I feel like we really outplayed them. Also I’ve seen enough of Bennett now to say he’s consistently been one of our best players most of the season. I’m not saying he’s the player we thought he would be when we drafted him, but I feel fully confident to say that we’re seeing a top 6 player that makes an impact on the game. He was easily the best player for us tonight. He did today what Tkachuk does for us almost every night. He was playing with speed, made good chips and dumps and used his body to pound the other team. I’m so glad Treliving didn’t do something dumb and deal him.

I love this team so much.

A bit of competent goaltending and this team will be like a Jets type turnover from last year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not usually a big "moral victory" guy but the Flames played pretty damn well. Smith needed one of those saves and I think they win that game. Brodie and Hanifin weren't very good either.

Bennett-Ryan-Neal had 70%CF that game.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Thoughts:
Bennett is quickly becoming a star on this team. Having him develop like this, at this time, is like found money and a lot of it. He was the most impressive Calgary forward tonight.

Other thoughts:
Has Monahan ever won a board battle?
I think he is playing with injury. Leave him alone.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Thoughts:
Bennett is quickly becoming a star on this team. Having him develop like this, at this time, is like found money and a lot of it. He was the most impressive Calgary forward tonight.

Other thoughts:
Has Monahan ever won a board battle?
He was a 4th OV pick playing like a 4th OV until Gulutzan came along. Then the myth came along of Bennett having no hockey IQ and not being able to break out of his junior hockey mindset when there was already evidence to the contrary in the previous season. Bennett's a big game player - he shows up when it matters (we've seen two playoff appearances where he's made a difference). If he doesn't score, he makes big hits and plays physical.

Gully-era Bennett was a frustrated guy with no confidence. The talent is starting to come back.

Monahan scores. But I feel like Lindholm's all-around game has been more noticeable so far to start the season

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not usually a big "moral victory" guy but the Flames played pretty damn well. Smith needed one of those saves and I think they win that game. Brodie and Hanifin weren't very good either.

Bennett-Ryan-Neal had 70%CF that game.

I said it right away. Benny and Neal will benefit from having speed down the middle. Ryan can skate, and was a huge upgrade on Jankowski.

Jankowski, I feel like I'm hard on him, but he's playing like his f***ing job isn't on the line. This team's too deep for passengers, and he's being one. Not skating hard, not playing big; just kind of floating and looking for Bennett and Neal to do everything on the offensive end. Similarly how he converted on most of his points last season.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Without question, that's an exaggeration. Smith made a lot of quality saves tonight, often when the game was tied or within one goal. Difficult saves, too. You just want him t
o stop a higher percentage of them, which is fair. I think he has that in him. But if we could cut down the brain-farts, that issue should take care of itself.

I agreed on the brain farts thing but then you have to trade Brodie ....

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Janko had more jam in his game when being sent down to the Heat was an option. Now that he's lost his waiver-exempt status he's sorting of just existing. Teams would pick him up on waivers but if he keeps this up, he probably will be traded next season

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I said it right away. Benny and Neal will benefit from having speed down the middle. Ryan can skate, and was a huge upgrade on Jankowski.

Jankowski, I feel like I'm hard on him, but he's playing like his ****ing job isn't on the line. This team's too deep for passengers, and he's being one. Not skating hard, not playing big; just kind of floating and looking for Bennett and Neal to do everything on the offensive end. Similarly how he converted on most of his points last season.

yes, please remove Jankowski from Bennett. Dude is slow, and I do not mean just skating

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He was a 4th OV pick playing like a 4th OV until Gulutzan came along. Then the myth came along of Bennett having no hockey IQ and not being able to break out of his junior hockey mindset when there was already evidence to the contrary in the previous season. Bennett's a big game player - he shows up when it matters (we've seen two playoff appearances where he's made a difference). If he doesn't score, he makes big hits and plays physical.

Gully-era Bennett was a frustrated guy with no confidence. The talent is starting to come back.

Monahan scores. But I feel like Lindholm's all-around game has been more noticeable so far to start the season

Monahan is a frustrating player for me.
Big dude, who has a killer shot; but you'd forget he's on the team if he doesn't hit the scoresheet.

Like, you're looking at a guy with all the tools to be a dominant player in the league but he's just not. It's just bothersome to me. I didn't notice him on the ice tonight; outside of one good chance, losing about a dozen board battles and two defensive breakdowns.

** Edit before tears, I was exaggerating the board battles.

Reactions: seatsy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
At the end of the day, 4-3-0 in our first 7-game segment isn't awful. The team is actually showing some resilience and poised to go on a roll. Rittich should get some reps in though

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah no question, Gully shouldn’t be blamed for all of Bennett’s struggles, but we’re kidding ourselves to think he wasn’t the right coach for him. This guy is a force and he’s constantly driving the play. Then you add a guy like Lindholm, that’s 2 players under the age of 24 look like absolute studs that we didn’t have last season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
At the end of the day, 4-3-0 in our first 7-game segment isn't awful. The team is actually showing some resilience and poised to go on a roll. Rittich should get some reps in though

Absolutely. If he can get hot, she should be a 1B at the very least. If they both suck... well at least we have our 1st rounder this year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Big dude, who has a killer shot; but you'd forget he's on the team if he doesn't hit the scoresheet.

Like, you're looking at a guy with all the tools to be a dominant player in the league but he's just not. It's just bothersome to me. I didn't notice him on the ice tonight; outside of one good chance, losing about a dozen board battles and two defensive breakdowns.

He's never really been the quickest of cats even at the best of times. He was however very good against Boston. Assertive in both zones and played really well. That's what you're looking for in a #1C, they need to be making things happen, it's not good enough to constantly be reactionary. Seems like too often he's happy enough to watch the Johnny Gaudreau show.

I kind of feel like biting my fingers off typing this but maybe a couple games away from Johnny might do him some good.

Reactions: Mobiandi

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Every high-danger chance comes from someone getting beat. That's not always the type of error we saw tonight. Sometimes it's as simple as losing a battle, or getting beat on the rush by your guy. It's okay to not be as good as your opposition and lose because of it. Systems are designed around contingencies when players get beat, but it can still lead to a goal. And goals can also be scored from low-danger chances where all of the skaters do their job, but a shot gets through and the goalie can't stop it.
Nicely put. I liked our system today. The system which systematically changed. Thank you Peters, only some observations to his game:

A- don't be afraid to complain. You have had so many opportunities,

B- play Bennett on that last PP

Thanks

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No question Monahan is our top C, but Bennett outplayed him tonight. I think as Bennett continues down this road, his confidence will grow and he will relax more with the puck on his stick and we will see him finish more. I’ve said this before, but at some point I’d like to see Bennett play C on a line with Tkachuk. Those 2 were made for each other.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Crazy to think in another world we could easily be 6-1-0 eh?
Like, we now have two Ls that weren't banner moments. Gave the game to the Preds here, and gave the game away to the Blues.

Smitty needs a game between stealing a game and giving a game away. It's weird to say that.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

** Edit before tears, I was exaggerating the board battles.
To me, he doesn't look as engaged in the game unless he's separated from Gaudreau. He'll always get chances because Johnny Gaudreau might be a top-3 playmaker in the NHL. It's kinda clear who wears the pants on that line.

Then again, he might be also injured. Based on his account of the past 4-5 seasons, he was rarely at 100% and was always playing through some pain

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hanifin was getting something like 83% d-zone starts this game. I get that he made that one bad pinch, but I think he's getting a little bit too swamped for my comfort, and Giordano and Brodie should be picking up the slack some more. Hanifin is only 21, and getting those type of minutes is gonna lead to mistakes at some point, especially when you don't have someone like Hamonic covering.

Reactions: Dack

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hanifin was getting like 83% d-zone starts this game. I get that he made that one bad pinch, but I think he's getting a little bit too swamped for my comfort and Giordano and Brodie should be picking up the slack some more. Hanifin is only 21, and getting those type of minutes is gonna lead to mistakes at some point.

Sadly for Calgary right now; with Hammer out... you don't have a tonne of options.
Brodie and Gio will get the other teams' best players. Which means during faceoffs in the defensive zone that don't have a top line associated with them, you need someone to take some icetime.

Do you want the Mike Stone show in the defensive end? No.
Do you trust Valimaki quiiiittee yet? No, a bit too up and down still.

Well who else do you have:
Hanifin & Andersson.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sadly for Calgary right now; with Hammer out... you don't have a tonne of options.
Brodie and Gio will get the other teams' best players. Which means during faceoffs in the defensive zone that don't have a top line associated with them, you need someone to take some icetime.

Do you want the Mike Stone show in the defensive end? No.
Do you trust Valimaki quiiiittee yet? No, a bit too up and down still.

Well who else do you have:
Hanifin & Andersson.

I mean I understand Valimaki getting a lot of sheltered minutes (Stone should be playing better, but I understand why you shelter him too), but you can't play a largely inexperienced pair like this and expect it to be perfect. Heck, Giordano was never getting this many d-zone starts even when our team was absolute trash and he and Brodie were the only glimmers of hope on the blueline. Really hoping Hamonic is better soon (and please sit Stone as well).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad