Injury Report: Pre-season injuries (that may impact season start)

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.

Burns is a premiere defensemen. They are hard to come by, you don't make them play forward. Trade someone else for a forward if you have to but other than that, no.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Burns - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Gomez - Galiardi
Desjardins - Handzus - Burish

Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Demers
Irwin - Braun

:sarcasm:

Brokencow

Nov 11, 2003
Oakland
Visit site

I would feel the same way as I did when Sergei Federov played defense.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston

Adamantly against it. He's a #1 defenseman and the future of our D core.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

I don't like it.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

I could see TMac using it as a secret weapon on a limited basis. Burns parked in front of the goalie on the PP could have some merit:toothless

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Burns parked in front of the goalie on the PP could have some merit:toothless

That's just a waste. Just because he's big, it doesn't mean he should screen the goalie. Especially considering his wrister is lethal.
I would say maybe Murray, but even that's a stretch. You need at least some offensive instincts to tip pucks and bat in rebounds. Murray has none.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Didn't Jacques Lemaire kinda screw up Burns when he did that? Burns got moved to defense and he was starting to do well then he got moved back to forward. Anyways, it's a bad idea.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

Burns is a premiere defensemen. They are hard to come by, you don't make them play forward. Trade someone else for a forward if you have to but other than that, no.

I would feel the same way as I did when Sergei Federov played defense.

Adamantly against it. He's a #1 defenseman and the future of our D core.

Didn't Jacques Lemaire kinda screw up Burns when he did that? Burns got moved to defense and he was starting to do well then he got moved back to forward. Anyways, it's a bad idea.

Food for thought, just proves anything is possible irregardless of STATS and people's opinion..

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Food for thought, just proves anything is possible irregardless of STATS and people's opinion..

I don't see anything wrong with any of those statements. I see people saying we need a #1 dman more (valid) and people saying It may hurt Burns when he is moved back (yet to be seen). What is your point?

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006
I don't see anything wrong with any of those statements. I see people saying we need a #1 dman more (valid) and people saying It may hurt Burns when he is moved back (yet to be seen). What is your point?

The point is, I love being right, because it doesn't happen often.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
My thinking was that they were choosing between a 40-50 point, puck-moving and puck-rushing defenseman with good defensive skills, and a two-way winger who could get 70 points leeching off Thornton. The former is much more valuable and rarer than the latter.

In reality, the choice was between said defenseman, and a monster power forward. That kind of player is equally, if not more, rare. He absolutely revolutionizes the first line...and that translates into points and goals for his linemates; it also trickles down to the other lines.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The point is, I love being right, because it doesn't happen often.

Just because a huge risk worked out doesn't mean huge risks are a good idea in general. Sharks got very lucky in this case, but everything said above was totally valid. No one is ever going to make a case to me that "going with your gut" is a valid strategy. There was a lot of evidence that Burns was a top-end defensemen, which the Sharks badly need (still do). There was little to no evidence that he would be a good forward. Anyone who says they 'knew' it would work out is just posturing, you didn't know, you just guessed and by a 50/50 chance you were right.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If Braun didn't end up being amazing, it'd kinda suck.

Not a good comparison. Braun is turning out into a great defensive-dman who can move/pass the puck. A #4 guy. Burns was slated to be a #1 premier d-man.

Frankly, Braun is getting overrated. Perhaps it is because he is shining compared to Demers, Irwin, and Petrecki, but is he that much better than the heights Demers reached in 2010?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not a good comparison. Braun is turning out into a great defensive-dman who can move/pass the puck. A #4 guy. Burns was slated to be a #1 premier d-man.

Frankly, Braun is getting overrated. Perhaps it is because he is shining compared to Demers, Irwin, and Petrecki, but is he that much better than the heights Demers reached in 2010?

I disagree. Braun has been comparable to Vlasic this year. And Vlasic has been fantastic. I do not know how that is overrating Braun.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Just because a huge risk worked out doesn't mean huge risks are a good idea in general. Sharks got very lucky in this case, but everything said above was totally valid. No one is ever going to make a case to me that "going with your gut" is a valid strategy. There was a lot of evidence that Burns was a top-end defensemen, which the Sharks badly need (still do). There was little to no evidence that he would be a good forward. Anyone who says they 'knew' it would work out is just posturing, you didn't know, you just guessed and by a 50/50 chance you were right.

Good to know that you could never be wrong and those that "took the other view" could never be right :laugh:

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006

Can you say that last part, one more time?

I'm just saying it did work out and he's been fun to watch. It has worked out well with the team and at the time I made the statement, we had 8 NHL caliber Dmen, were thin on forwards, weren't scoring goals, and Burns had experience up front.

It kind of made sense to at least experiment with it. I won't even go as far to say I thought it would work out this well, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad