Injury Report: Pre-season injuries (that may impact season start)

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
The fact he's skating is good. Of course he's probably bummed, I wouldn't write him off yet.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Is there any indication that Boyle will be back? The last update I saw was that he was still sick.

Unless Boyle is still actively puking my bet is he plays, especially after what he had to watch last night. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if he skated around with a bucket, guy is a wariror lol.

sharks51

Jan 12, 2011
When Demers and Burns are both healthy i think the Sharks should dress 7 D. I used to hate it when Mclellan did it but I could support the idea if it meant Burns using his size and skill up front instead of vandermeer skating around cluelessly. It would add some versatility and we could bench some of our slacking bottom 6 instead of Matt Irwin.

Marleau Thornton Pavelski
Clowe Couture Burns
Gomez Handzus Havlat
Burish Desjardin Galiardi

Vlasic Stuart
Irwin Boyle
Braun Demers

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
When Demers and Burns are both healthy i think the Sharks should dress 7 D. I used to hate it when Mclellan did it but I could support the idea if it meant Burns using his size and skill up front instead of vandermeer skating around cluelessly. It would add some versatility and we could bench some of our slacking bottom 6 instead of Matt Irwin.

Clowe Couture Burns
Gomez Handzus Havlat

Vlasic Stuart
Irwin Boyle
Braun Demers

Interesting. Well he use to be a forward. I don't think they should put him on the 2nd line though. Maybe 3rd/4th line and D for the PP.

Although I think he would be better off just play D the whole time.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA

Clowe Couture Burns
Gomez Handzus Havlat

Vlasic Stuart
Irwin Boyle
Braun Demers

So scratch Murray? Don't think they will do that. Irwin will be the odd man out.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Because we're bottom-5 in Fenwick Close and our winning is due almost entirely to an unsustainable shooting percentage on the top line and Niemi playing out of his mind?

And though the shooting percentage is unsustainable the team is playing better as a whole, particularly on the PK. Tanking would be foolish and DW has said he will always try to win every year, anything less would be insulting to the fans. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll continue the high level of play, especially given the significant adversity some of our competition seem to have faced. I think this Sharks team stacks up well against most teams in the west other than the Blues whose style of play negates our puck possession style.

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Because we're bottom-5 in Fenwick Close and our winning is due almost entirely to an unsustainable shooting percentage on the top line and Niemi playing out of his mind?

When did this board become so into advanced stats? I mean, I appreciate the stats, but when the Sharks are winning, we should just sit back and enjoy it while it lasts.
Just last season, Les Wynan was shunned by practically everyone here for being so stat-crazy. Now that he's gone, more and more people are repeating his arguments. Poor guy. :laugh:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
When did this board become so into advanced stats? I mean, I appreciate the stats, but when the Sharks are winning, we should just sit back and enjoy it while it lasts.
Just last season, Les Wynan was shunned by practically everyone here for being so stat-crazy. Now that he's gone, more and more people are repeating his arguments. Poor guy. :laugh:

Haha agreed!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
We're now number 7 in Fenwick Close if I'm reading this chart correctly.
http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2011.php?sort=6&section=close

And though the shooting percentage is unsustainable the team is playing better as a whole, particularly on the PK. Tanking would be foolish and DW has said he will always try to win every year, anything less would be insulting to the fans. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll continue the high level of play, especially given the significant adversity some of our competition seem to have faced. I think this Sharks team stacks up well against most teams in the west other than the Blues whose style of play negates our puck possession style.

Those are the numbers from last season. They're 24th so far this year. The Sharks have historically been an excellent puck possession team and I see no reason why they won't get back to that.

Problem is, this season the score hasn't been "close" in games for very long and it skews the numbers. It's something to watch but in my opinion, it's nothing to worry about right now.

Also - I agree with you about this Sharks team, that it has what it takes to win and the fact that DW won't tank.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Those are the numbers from last season. They're 24th so far this year. The Sharks have historically been an excellent puck possession team and I see no reason why they won't get back to that.

Problem is, this season the score hasn't been "close" in games for very long and it skews the numbers. It's something to watch but in my opinion, it's nothing to worry about right now.

Didn't catch that will edit.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

We're also six games into a 48 game season. Sustainability is not as much of a necessity at this stage. They're a good team finding ways to win and it needs to continue as much as it can so they can get into the playoffs. Missing two of their best puck-moving d-men the whole year and last night their best three is going to have an impact on Fenwick.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sorry to put a damper on things, but I'm a huge proponent of advanced stats. :laugh:

Obviously not having Burns changes things and it's a small sample size, but it's not like we've been dominating everyone (with the exception of Colorado, and Colorado blows).

Burns skating? Good sign. Any more details on him??

You have two options: 1) Read the thread, or 2) go to the stickied "The "How is _____ doing, I have him on my fantasy team" thread (ALL Fantasy Qs here)" thread. We're not responding to fantasy questions in here.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
apologies there just has been so little released about Burns it's hard to know what's going on or why, such a mystery. I will post in there from now on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad