Injury Report: Pre-season injuries (that may impact season start)

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
According to Lady Stanley's twitter feed, Burns attended captain's skate today. Great news!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If the season gets started on the 19th, the Sharks D could be a bit of a mess.

You're not kidding. The only healthy defensemen in Worcester under NHL contracts right now are Irwin and Tennyson. Pelech is healthy but I think he hasn't been signed yet.

Groulx has a concussion (not that he's really an NHLer anyway). Doherty has an achilles injury and isn't close to returning. Acolatse has at least a broken jaw, so who knows how long he's out for. Petrecki has a hand injury, no one is saying if it's related to his previously broken hand.

Abeltshauser is under contract and is having a year tick off while in juniors, so while a long shot he could be around. DeMelo is also under contract, but from what I hear he's a LONG way from NHL ready so he may not be an option.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
You're not kidding. The only healthy defensemen in Worcester under NHL contracts right now are Irwin and Tennyson. Pelech is healthy but I think he hasn't been signed yet.

Groulx has a concussion (not that he's really an NHLer anyway). Doherty has an achilles injury and isn't close to returning. Acolatse has at least a broken jaw, so who knows how long he's out for. Petrecki has a hand injury, no one is saying if it's related to his previously broken hand.

Abeltshauser is under contract and is having a year tick off while in juniors, so while a long shot he could be around. DeMelo is also under contract, but from what I hear he's a LONG way from NHL ready so he may not be an option.

I think DW would sign a UFA long before he'd pull KA or DeMelo out of juniors, though I guess I wouldn't be totally shocked if KA was brought in for training camp.

Irwin or Tennyson might be able to fill in for Demers for a while on the bottom pairing but if Burns' injury is going to be anything close to long term it could be an issue, especially in a shortened season.

Then there's what happens to Worcester's D if Irwin and/or Tennyson are brought up to San Jose, it's already a mess (in that 4 of the starting 6 are out/hurt, they've played surprisingly well)...I do think it's time they give Wrenn a shot, as I mentioned to you earlier he's having a very good season in Alaska.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I think DW would sign a UFA long before he'd pull KA or DeMelo out of juniors, though I guess I wouldn't be totally shocked if KA was brought in for training camp.

Irwin or Tennyson might be able to fill in for Demers for a while on the bottom pairing but if Burns' injury is going to be anything close to long term it could be an issue, especially in a shortened season.

Then there's what happens to Worcester's D if Irwin and/or Tennyson are brought up to San Jose, it's already a mess (in that 4 of the starting 6 are out/hurt, they've played surprisingly well)...I do think it's time they give Wrenn a shot, as I mentioned to you earlier he's having a very good season in Alaska.

Me too, just giving the bottom to top view of things... ;)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
KKurzCSN 3:15pm via Twitter for Mac Hearing Worcester's leading scorer Tim Kennedy is injured, so don't expect him at a shortened training camp, if CBA deal reached #SJSharks

And regarding pulling Abelshauser or Demelo out of juniors -- would have to be "emergency" situation. Sharks did not "reserve" any of their CHL players for recall to NHL after lockout.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
And regarding pulling Abelshauser or Demelo out of juniors -- would have to be "emergency" situation. Sharks did not "reserve" any of their CHL players for recall to NHL after lockout.

To quote an NHL GM that was at a WorSharks game this season when talking about post-lockout player moves, "we'll do what we want and there's nothing the AHL and CHL can do about it".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad