DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Brutal for the Sens..

they would need at least a

1st rdp
Roster Player (top 6 F/top 4 D)
Top Prospect
+
I agree if it was just Karlsson they were trading but they also dump Ryan who even with retention downgrades any return for Karlsson significantly. Considering they do not really get a bad contract back...Melnyk would probably push for that deal over a pure Karlsson deal.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
He's a very good playmaker and stickhandler and he's good at maintaining possession.

He showed that when he played a huge part in eliminating the Bruins in the first round of the playoffs last year.

I don't agree with your oversimplification.
One good postseason run shouldn't define a player. I'm more concerned about the fact that he only scored 25 points on a better Ottawa team two seasons ago.

Keep him if you think he's so great because at this point everyone else in the league views him as a lost cause with an albatross of a contract.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Do you think that’s unreasonable? Barrie is putting up an offensive season that’s better than any oilers dman since Coffey. He leads the league in ppg for dmen, is a prime age for defensiveman, has two years left on a great contract, fills the oilers biggest need, and the oilers have had interest in the past. He’s outscoring (including pace) every oilers player sans Mcdavid and Draisatl. Looking at the Stepan/Hamonic trades the value is fine and far from an overpayment. With the way Barrie and Klefbom seasons have gone, no way they have similar value. Barrie also has the longevity to back this season up, he’s been a premier puck mover for years now. Hell Chia traded a 1st and a 2nd for a much less proven player in Reinhart, these guys have a lot of value. You also ditch Russel in the deal. I think the 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, and 2019 2nd is better value actually taking all things into consideration.

That's not saying much this year, but whatever, point taken.

Kelfbom was having a brutal year before he was shut down. The shoulder injury that nagged him since training camp is finally getting fixed via surgery. Don't just compare this year. Last year both were tied with 38 points. I expect a bounce back year from Klefbom next season. That said I value Barrie more.

Don't site a brutal trade as justification for any deal. Right up there with "Well Chia traded Hall for Larsson so take my crappy deal and be happy" we see on here so much.

I would like for the Oilers to acquire Barrie. No question he is what we are looking for. Trading picks for a guy who can step in right away is also the right move. Moving some salary out on the back end via Russell is also the right move. My only two sticking points:

We lose a lottery pick.
Karlsson is getting moved and Edmonton doesn't get him.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
That's not saying much this year, but whatever, point taken.

Kelfbom was having a brutal year before he was shut down. The shoulder injury that nagged him since training camp is finally getting fixed via surgery. Don't just compare this year. Last year both were tied with 38 points. I expect a bounce back year from Klefbom next season. That said I value Barrie more.

Don't site a brutal trade as justification for any deal. Right up there with "Well Chia traded Hall for Larsson so take my crappy deal and be happy" we see on here so much.

I would like for the Oilers to acquire Barrie. No question he is what we are looking for. Trading picks for a guy who can step in right away is also the right move. Moving some salary out on the back end via Russell is also the right move. My only two sticking points:

We lose a lottery pick.
Karlsson is getting moved and Edmonton doesn't get him.
You lose a lottery pick but this trade wouldn’t be completed till after the lottery so it can’t blow up in your face. If the oilers win Dahlin they obviously wouldn’t do this. And yea you don’t get Karlsson, but if you wanted him it would cost a lot more. Taking on the Ryan dump (which seems to be a sticking point for Ottawa) and paying Karlsson 11-12 million wouldn’t work when you already have Mcdavid-Drai at 21 million and a bad contract of your own in Lucic. When you have a guy like Mcdavid, I don’t think you necessarily need a 1D to win the cup. The oilers could go the 2011 Vancouver model where it’s more about defence by committee.
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Barrie
Sekera Bear(?)
Is good enough when Mcdavid and Draisatl are the top two centers. I think that should be worth more to the oilers than the 8th overall pick plus a couple of seconds.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's a very good playmaker and stickhandler and he's good at maintaining possession.

He showed that when he played a huge part in eliminating the Bruins in the first round of the playoffs last year.

I don't agree with your oversimplification.
I admit fully that it is a somewhat simplified analysis, but I don't think its incorrect either. I also won't argue that he still has some positives to his game, but one good playoff series last spring doesn't change the fact that Bobby Ryan is a shadow of his former self and can't play the game the same way that initially made him a big money player. Yes, he can still maintain the puck. But Bobby Ryan was given his contract because of his ability to score goals and he no longer has the ability to do so consistently in the NHL. You can disagree with me if you like, but I don't think I'm wrong in stating that he has the worst contract in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad