Proposal: Pre-draft Blockbuster: OTT/COL/EDM

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Assuming the Karlsson deal is still a likely event this summer I still see the Avs as a bit of a darkhorse with some of the groundwork already laid via the Duchene trade. The Senators seem adamant on purging significant salary commitments and the Avs have got an abundance of both cap space and young, enticing trade assets including the Ottawa 1st acquired in the Duchene deal.

:avs
RD Erik Karlsson (7.5)
LW Milan Lucic (6.0)
2019 NJ 3rd (via EDM)

:sens
LD Oscar Klefbom (4.1)
LW Colin Wilson (3.937)
RD Connor Timmins
2019 Sens 1st (via COL)

:edmonton
RD Tyson Barrie (5.5)
RW Bobby Ryan (5.5*)

*OTT retains 1.75m

The Avs (add approximately $4m, pre-Karlsson extension)

I believe the deal makes sense for the Avs because it gives them a legitimate #1 defenseman. Tyson Barrie, while capable of providing the production, isn't a defender who drives the play at the level Karlsson does. With him under contract moving forward it would give the Avs the ability to slowly develop Cale Makar.

Milan Lucic, while owning one of the league's more questionable contracts, is still a quality power forward when on his game. This is essentially the Avs gaining a 2019 3rd to flip him via the Avs for Ryan, who merely fits a current need better for the Oilers. For the Avs, he's essentially an upgrade on Colin Wilson who'd be moved to Ottawa in the deal to balance contracts.

The Sens (clear approximately $5m short-term, significant long-term)

Pierre Dorion has shown twice this season that he's not afraid to find creative ways to make deals happen. Twice he's used third teams to solve cap problems and meet the requirements of both GMs to get those deals done. I think the Karlsson deal will ultimately be used to get out from under the Bobby Ryan deal for good, but as the trade deadline suggested, it's easier said than done.

As for the return, the Sens receive two quality high-end pieces on the back-end in return for the All-Star blue-liner--one of which is capable of eating significant minutes right out of the gate and is signed to a great deal for the next six seasons. Wilson is a necessary evil to move that much salary in a deal, but he's a serviceable bottom six winger who's only signed for another year. And they ultimately get the pick back, which likely hold immense value.

The Oilers (add approximately $1m)

They're finally addressing that PP RD that's been a need for some time. Oscar Klefbom is a massive investment, but the Oilers have the depth on the left side with Nurse, Sekera and Russell all capable of playing 20+ minutes a night. There's also a significant likelihood of the Oilers drafting a quality defenseman with their pick in this draft. Barrie can immediately slide into a second pairing role with heavy minutes with Connor McDavid. It's a good gamble that's likely to pay off in terms of PP production that has been a significant anchor to the Oilers' success this season.

Bobby Ryan for Milan Lucic--assuming Lucic is willing to move to Denver--moves the Oilers away from a player who just hasn't fit in the role the GM had envisioned when he was signed. The needs of the roster have changed significantly in two seasons and a struggling right shot winger like Ryan, who could possibly see a boost in production with one of the Oilers' centers. They essentially pay the 3rd to chop $500k off their payroll and lose a year of term.

Sorry for the novel, but it's a complicated deal that required some thought.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think it's too bad to be honest. Probably the only thing I'd say is that Ottawa could probably fetch a lot more.
That's pretty much the only thing I'm thinking. Maybe a couple more 'B' prospects from the Avs? 67s captain Travis Barron being the obvious one.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not sure what to say about it from Edmonton. Klefbom and a 3rd for Barrie is fine and fills a team need. I'd trust Lucic to bounce back after one crap year more than I'd want Ryan on our team though, there's no coming back for him in my opinion.

I'd wait until the draft lottery at worst to do this - if we happen to win and are able to draft Dahlin, this trade does nothing for us. If we don't, then I'm still not sure if downgrading from Lucic to Ryan is worth upgrading from Klefbom to Barrie.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Well thought out. I'd love to see Klef find himself in an Oilers jersey, but getting out from under Looch with a decent PMD coming back seems worth it. But Chiarelli will never admit he screwed up.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't love it, as I adamantly believe Klef will bounce back, but I also think it's a very well thought out deal that might work, assuming Lucic waives for Colorado. I also wish we (the Oilers) could just get Karlsson ourselves.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
I don'k know what to think. Gettimg rid of Lucic would make this better I guess. Getting Ryan back is not good. He is contracted for 2 seasons less but Lucic will be on ltir before his contract expires.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
LOL the Avs aren't giving up the Senators 2019 1st round pick + Tyson Barrie + Conor Timmins for Erik Karlsson + the atrocious honor of taking on Milan Lucic and that albatross contract of his.

Dream on.

Barrie has 50 points in 58 games this year and has been playing like a top pairing d-man since EJ got injured.

When you factor in THAT plus the fact that we'd have to pay Karlsson what, $12M per season...that is a mega hard pass from the Avs.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I prefer Klefbom to Barrie I am a big believer in Klef.
Lucic is just an anchor, Id be ok with Ryan. Not sure he'd be better but im just sick of Lucic. So slow out there and a total passenger.

Overall meh. I wouldnt hate or love this deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I would think the Oilers can manage a better deal than this. We get stuck with Bobby Ryan and don't get Karlsson. That seems like a bad deal for Edmonton, even if there is the upgrade from Klefbom to Barrie and Lucic goes... the Lucic part is canceled by the Ryan contract.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Trading Barrie makes little sense now that Makar is apparently heading back to college for his sophomore year, Timmins is a hell of a D prospect and the Sens' 2019 1st could easily end up a top 3 pick and whomever that pick is would be cost controlled for 7 years.

That said, it's an easy no to trading the above for potentially only one year of EK, a 30 year old Lucic and a 3rd round pick. The OP really isn't enticing for the rebuilding Avs' at all.

Reactions: AvsGuy

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
As others have said, I feel like the Senators could get back another piece or two, but considering this is a 3 way prosposal on HFBoards it's not bad. Feel like the Oilers might have to throw in another piece (draft pick?) as well, seems a little light on their end.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Brutal for the Sens..

they would need at least a

1st rdp
Roster Player (top 6 F/top 4 D)
Top Prospect
+

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
No thanks from this Avs fan. Karlsson is great, but I'm not giving up Timmins + a potential top 5 pick to upgrade from Barrie to Karlsson. And Lucic is one of the last guys I want joining this team. He's old, slow and doesn't really add anything to the team that we don't already potentially have in a younger model.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
As an outside fan I like it for every team, though Karlsson should fetch a bit more even though Ryan is added there. Though he is going to different team than Karlsson so.

Add couple seconds maybe.

Very nicely done sill from OP.

Makkeli

May 1, 2009
Finland
LOL the Avs aren't giving up the Senators 2019 1st round pick + Tyson Barrie + Conor Timmins for Erik Karlsson + the atrocious honor of taking on Milan Lucic and that albatross contract of his.

Dream on.

Barrie has 50 points in 58 games this year and has been playing like a top pairing d-man since EJ got injured.

When you factor in THAT plus the fact that we'd have to pay Karlsson what, $12M per season...that is a mega hard pass from the Avs.

THIS, this, this x 1000

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
This is
a) Good for the Sens
b) OK for the Oil
c) Bad for the Avs

The Avs take on Lucic and only get potentially one season of EK for that haul. Rough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->