Speculation: Pre-camp lines

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
They wouldn’t have given Dal Colle two years if they were just gonna cut him, Ho-Sang on the other hand...I think they’ll try and find a way to hold onto him as long as possible but he’s definitely a candidate to be put on waivers.

Sure. I agree. I think my point was if JHS does go to waivers it's not going to be because of Oliver Walhstrom, at least not to start the season. I fully expect JHS is on a make or break. If he hasn't gotten it at this point I'm pretty sure he'll be waived. I think they'll play the injury game long enough to get him some games and if it doesn't work out he'll be gone.

MDC on the other hand I feel like will be a third line staple. He's going to have a chance to earn time on the top 6 or solidify himself as a bottom 6 grinder. We'll see which way his learning curve goes.

Reactions: Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
At this stage, I don't think any of MDC, Hosang, or Kuhnackl would be any big losses. I am not saying Wahlstrom is a lock to make the NHL at 19. What I am saying is it has happened far too often to be closed minded to this. The Isles had a 103 pts season, what they lacked was a goal here or there in the line up. When St Louis wins the cup in the manner they did last year, their roster is not superstar filled as the Isles roster is not, but play very similar to the way the Isles play as a collective. You do not close your mind on players that can help win at the NHL level due to waivers or expansion draft considerations on perhaps a chance of winning it all. You use every player in the organization to win each year that is capable of helping the cause which is to win the cup eventually.

I've yet to see you make a good point on why he will make the team. No one is closing their minds on the possibility. There's no reason to rush him onto the team over older, more physically mature players. Wahlstrom is what...5''11 or 6"0? Under 190lbs? Very few players can make that jump successfully when they don't have a man's body at 19. Most*** successful 19 year olds are either supremely gifted or have the body of a 23 year old. Ho Sang is actually an example of someone who couldn't handle the wear and tear at a young age.

I will admit, I thought he looked slightly better than Ho Sang last year in the playoffs, but he was also being gifted ice time against bad players. I don't see him as a step above anyone in our top 9, so why risk it and lose a player?

No reason at all to rush a player in hopes of adding a few points to the season total.

Sure. I agree. I think my point was if JHS does go to waivers it's not going to be because of Oliver Walhstrom, at least not to start the season. I fully expect JHS is on a make or break. If he hasn't gotten it at this point I'm pretty sure he'll be waived. I think they'll play the injury game long enough to get him some games and if it doesn't work out he'll be gone.

MDC on the other hand I feel like will be a third line staple. He's going to have a chance to earn time on the top 6 or solidify himself as a bottom 6 grinder. We'll see which way his learning curve goes.

Agreed!

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Great. He fought twice in the AHL, good for him. Nearly every player is willing to fight at some point, we've even seen Bailey fight. It's not a part of his game.

We never saw captain PJs fight. Barzal never dropped the mits. Leddy doesn't fight. Ho sang has never fought. Never seen D toews fight, never seen beau drop the mits.

If JHS drops the gloves this pre season everyone will be praising him as "oh wow he's really putting in that extra effort'. Dal colle fights "oh well mainly everyone does it"
:thumbu:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We never saw captain PJs fight. Barzal never dropped the mits. Leddy doesn't fight. Ho sang has never fought. Never seen D toews fight, never seen beau drop the mits.

If JHS drops the gloves this pre season everyone will be praising him as "oh wow he's really putting in that extra effort'. Dal colle fights "oh well mainly everyone does it"
:thumbu:

I'd say the same thing about Dal Colle sticking up for someone, I personally like that sort of thing. It's not a unique quality to him though and it shouldn't give the team any more of a reason to keep him around.

Tavares and Leddy both have fights on their resume. You also must've missed the word "nearly" in my response. Great job picking out two skill guys who are smaller and younger than Dal Colle to help prove your point though!

Reactions: Treebeard

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
I'd say the same thing about Dal Colle sticking up for someone, I personally like that sort of thing. It's not a unique quality to him though and it shouldn't give the team any more of a reason to keep him around.

Tavares and Leddy both have fights on their resume. You also must've missed the word "nearly" in my response. Great job picking out two skill guys who are smaller and younger than Dal Colle to help prove your point though!

You consider that a "fight" with captain PJs? And leddys was not a fight. It was a shoving match. But I understand you give no credit to dal colle or anyone that throws down for real. After all "nearly" everyone does it right it's not an additional attribute according to you. just something you "like" Cool :thumbu:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But I understand you give no credit to dal colle or anyone that throws down for real. After all "nearly" everyone does it right it's not an additional attribute according to you. just something you "like" Cool :thumbu:

"I'd say the same thing about Dal Colle sticking up for someone, I personally like that sort of thing." He's not a fighter and has one career fight, good for him.

Anyway, I'd do the follow lineup to start the season:

Beauvillier Barzal Eberle
Lee Nelson Bailey
Dal Colle Brassard Ho-Sang
Martin Cizikas Komarov
Kuhnhackl Fritz

I'd waive Johnston, with Ladd and Clutterbuck on IR.

Pelech Pulock
Leddy Boychuk
Toews Mayfield
Hickey

A little heavy on the inexperience on the third line, but I'd like a little more offense from the third line if possible. Maybe Kuhnhackl for Ho-Sang. I'd waive Fritz before Ho-Sang if Clutterbuck or Ladd is healthy to start the year.

Reactions: DalGoal4Cups

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
Dam
"I'd say the same thing about Dal Colle sticking up for someone, I personally like that sort of thing." He's not a fighter and has one career fight, good for him.

Anyway, I'd do the follow lineup to start the season:

Beauvillier Barzal Eberle
Lee Nelson Bailey
Dal Colle Brassard Ho-Sang
Martin Cizikas Komarov
Kuhnhackl Fritz

I'd waive Johnston, with Ladd and Clutterbuck on IR.

Pelech Pulock
Leddy Boychuk
Toews Mayfield
Hickey

A little heavy on the inexperience on the third line, but I'd like a little more offense from the third line if possible. Maybe Kuhnhackl for Ho-Sang. I'd waive Fritz before Ho-Sang if Clutterbuck or Ladd is healthy to start the year.

Hot damn I love those lines. Not sure about beau getting top six minutes though. I'd swap beu and bailey. But I like where you're going with this. Having 3 lines balanced, all are scoring threats. Then you have the 4th line running everyone over. I like it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Dam

Hot damn I love those lines. Not sure about beau getting top six minutes though. I'd swap beu and bailey. But I like where you're going with this. Having 3 lines balanced, all are scoring threats. Then you have the 4th line running everyone over. I like it.

I think the third line needs to either be a legitimate scoring threat or a great shut down line. Being in between those two is asking for trouble, I think. Last year it was a very good defensive line, but the team needed more pop. Can we get competent defense from a more skilled third line and get a significant boost in production on the score sheet?

Reactions: DalGoal4Cups

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Nelson - Beauvillier - Bailey
Dal Colle - Brassard - Komorov
Martin - Cizikas - Kuhnhackl
Ho Sang Fritz

Beau - Bar - Ebs is way too soft. They will get manhandled in the PO's
Beau will be better at C, IMO, where he can best utilize his skating.
3rd line has some pop potential, with MDC and Brassard, and can be decent defensively, given that Komorov and MDC are decent in that manner. Clutterbuck comes back and Fritz gets sent down.

gadiamon72

Jun 13, 2013
Dam

I'd like it more if we can sign one of the many RFA's. We still need more scoring, but for what we have, these lines work for me.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'd like it more if we can sign one of the many RFA's. We still need more scoring, but for what we have, these lines work for me.

Whatever happens with the RFA situations, if we are in the business of acquiring players that become available due to those situations, I can't see it being by any means other than a trade.

As mentioned in previous posts, we currently have 17 waiver-eligible forwards, 7 full time NHL Dmen (+ Aho & Dobson), and our two clear-cut goalies (with 4 on the farm).

A few bodies would likely need to be moved.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Assuming Ladd starts on IR and Fritz most likely is sent down and clears waivers-

If Trotz rolls similar to the end of last season -
Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bailey - Nelson - Kuhnackl
Beau - Brassard - Komarov
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Johnston - Dal Colle

*Ho-Sang is the odd man out unless the team sends Johnston and his 1 million cap hit down.

*If Clutterbuck is placed on IR to start the season and maybe that gives the team a couple of weeks to evaluate - Ho-Sang up with the team. One can make the case that Ho-Sang is behind Fritz in the pecking order (Fritz kills penalties and plays C).

*playing Kuhnackl on the 2nd line is not sustainable, but hope is that one of Dal Colle, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier step up to snatch that role.

A trade for a top 6 can also work

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Assuming Ladd starts on IR and Fritz most likely is sent down and clears waivers-

If Trotz rolls similar to the end of last season -
Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bailey - Nelson - Kuhnackl
Beau - Brassard - Komarov
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Johnston - Dal Colle

Naturally, that would mean Bailey on the right and Kuhnhackl on the left, as it was in the playoffs.

In fact, I don't know if Bailey took a shift on the left side the whole season?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Naturally, that would mean Bailey on the right and Kuhnhackl on the left, as it was in the playoffs.

In fact, I don't know if Bailey took a shift on the left side the whole season?

I believe Bailey def. took shifts on the left side last season. You may be correct they may have lined up the other way around during playoffs.
Either way, both can play both sides

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Before Tavares he played mostly on the LW with Okposo/ Kuelmin and Nielsen

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I believe Bailey def. took shifts on the left side last season. You may be correct they may have lined up the other way around during playoffs.
Either way, both can play both sides

Sure, they "can" play both sides.

But at the risk of seeming too mundane, I mean we're all watching this team and Bailey has been a pretty much a 100% right wing for the past two seasons.

And I think I can count the amount of times Kuhnhackl played RW or C last season on one hand. Otherwise, he was basically a LW on this club.

But we'll see who is suiting up where soon enough... it would be interesting see both Ho-Sang and Wahlstrom pushing this team's hand on the RW side.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

But at the risk of seeming too mundane, I mean we're all watching this team and Bailey has been a pretty much a 100% right wing for the past two seasons.

And I think I can count the amount of times Kuhnhackl played RW or C last season on one hand. Otherwise, he was basically a LW on this club.

But we'll see who is suiting up where soon enough... it would be interesting see both Ho-Sang and Wahlstrom pushing this team's hand on the RW side.

Kuhnhackl swapped sides depending which line he was on and who was sitting out. There was no consistency for him last season I'm fairly certain.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

Admittedly a very mundane conversation.

Yes Bailey has exclusively played RW since Okposo’s departure, but before that he played exclusively on the left wing side during his career.

I do remember Kuhnackl playing more than just a handful of games on the right side and yes it depended on who he was replacing in the lineup that determined where he lined up. I also believe the lineup cards during the playoffs had him listed on the RW, but maybe they lined up differently on the ice - I cannot remember.

I think Ho-Sang needs to show up to camp ready to open some eyes, but I do feel he might be a long shot to make this roster. You had a wonderful post earlier today about camp and how it has changed - essentially not about winning jobs.

The acquisition of Brassard does fill in the 3C, but it does not replace everything Filppula did, like kill penalties. Brassard will most likely be featured on the PP, filling a potential spot and role that could have gone to Ho-Sang. I doubt Brassard will kill penalties, forcing Kuhnackl in the line up every night unless Trotz widens his circle of trust on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad