Speculation: Pre-camp lines

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If organic growth goes their way, then Beau and Ho-Sang become top 6 or at least top 9 players. That means they can balance the top 9 and force Kuhnackl to the press box. Does organic growth mean Beau plays C? Beau doesn’t need to score 30, he needs to solve the 3C, score 20, and kill penalties.

By not doing anything, then it still leaves cap space and assets in place for a move later in the year - what if Laine and Marner hold out and are the trading block, then Isles have the cap space and possibly players who grow organically in the first month or two of the season also raise their stock.
It absolutely does. But it does nothing for this year. And this team, as currently constructed, is weaker than last year's team. And everything went mostly right for last year's team.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It absolutely does. But it does nothing for this year. And this team, as currently constructed, is weaker than last year's team. And everything went mostly right for last year's team.

To look on the brighter side-

New PP coach +
Toews from the beginning of the year +
Year 2 under Trotz +
And kids take advantage of their opportunity +

If they can put themselves into a situation where they are a playoff team by December, then Lou will most likely add by the deadline.

Also, RFA hold outs could also be possible.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
To look on the brighter side-

New PP coach +
Toews from the beginning of the year +
Year 2 under Trotz +
And kids take advantage of their opportunity +

If they can put themselves into a situation where they are a playoff team by December, then Lou will most likely add by the deadline.

Also, RFA hold outs could also be possible.
1. I'm all for Jim Hiller coming here. But I don't think we can count on him to snap his fingers and turn chicken shit into chicken salad. Its not that easy. On the bright side though, it really can't get worse so I think its reasonable to assume our PP does improve.

2. Toews from the beginning of the year definitely helps. Ditto Pelech and Pulock playing at their high level for the entire season. Pelech especially struggled at the outset and really turned his game on the second half of the year. But lets not assume that everything will be rosy and all our defensemen (or players in general) will simply improve upon last year's performance - it doesn't always work that way. Its a tough game and players experience ebbs and flows throughout their careers. Hopefully our guys trajectories are only upwards but I don't think we can reasonably count on that.

3. I'm not sure what Year 2 under Trotz really gets us. Sure they have a full year under their belt to digest the system. But likewise, other teams have a full year to see what the Islanders are all about. How they play, what their tendencies are, etc. I'll call this a wash. I love Trotz but its not like he snaps his fingers and wills things to happen. He is prepared, his teams' are responsible, disciplined and well coached. We saw all that last year. I don't think we'll get an additional benefit beyond what we've already seen solely from BT being our coach.

4. I don't know which kids will be taking advantage of their opportunities. Beau? This will be year 4 for him. I'm somewhat optimistic that he can continue his growth but at this point, he's a mainstay in our top 9. He's not a guy that is coming in as an unknown. MDC? Sure....hopefully he takes the next step but he's not really a guy with an unlimited ceiling. He simply doesn't skate well enough to be that guy. The reality is - this is a veteran lineup with no real room for any kids - at least not at the outset. Funny things happen over a season so we'll see where we are come December though.

I'm excited for the season and recognize that camp hasn't even started and the opening roster is far from final. But at this point, this team has not improved upon the team that ended the season. That's OK though. There are a lot of constraints and factors at play and just because they haven't made a move to improve (or any move really), doesn't mean they won't in the future or that they can't be successful. But the path to success is very narrow and involves a lot of (or at least some) leaps of faith.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
With Brassard signed. It gives the Isles some options. He can play C or W. Koivula may be a wild card so this is wide open. I am also going to say, it would not surprise me if Wahlstrom has a good camp and may even make the big club out of camp.

Lines for me potentially look like this. As we know Trotz is a 4 line coach.

1. Lee Barzal Eberle
2. Wahlstrom Nelson Bailey
3. Komarov Brassard Beauvillier
4. Clutterbuck Cizikas Martin

crasherino

May 9, 2013
With Brassard signed. It gives the Isles some options. He can play C or W. Koivula may be a wild card so this is wide open. I am also going to say, it would not surprise me if Wahlstrom has a good camp and may even make the big club out of camp.

Lines for me potentially look like this. As we know Trotz is a 4 line coach.

1. Lee Barzal Eberle
2. Wahlstrom Nelson Bailey
3. Komarov Brassard Beauvillier
4. Clutterbuck Cizikas Martin
And who are you healthy scratches? MDC and JHS with Kuhnackl being sent to BP?

Unless something unforeseen happens, I can't imagine Wahlstrom starting with the big club. First, and most importantly, he could use some professional experience. Second, he's waiver exempt, which most other guys are not. So it makes all the sense in the world for him to start in BP, no matter what. He can always be called up 10 games in if he shows that he is too good for the AHL or the Islanders really need him.

I would love for him to even make it a tough decision, but I'd put decent money that he starts the season in BP. There's no real rush there.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And who are you healthy scratches? MDC and JHS with Kuhnackl being sent to BP?

Unless something unforeseen happens, I can't imagine Wahlstrom starting with the big club. First, and most importantly, he could use some professional experience. Second, he's waiver exempt, which most other guys are not. So it makes all the sense in the world for him to start in BP, no matter what. He can always be called up 10 games in if he shows that he is too good for the AHL or the Islanders really need him.

I would love for him to even make it a tough decision, but I'd put decent money that he starts the season in BP. There's no real rush there.

I agree Wahlstrom will have to make the team on merit. It will not be handed to him. I do think he is a top 10 pick talent that slipped to #11. His year at Boston didn't work out, but his AHL stint showed me he is what I saw him as. A top offensive talent. Something the Isles need. 19 year olds in the NHL are not a foreign concept anymore. If you have the talent and you show the maturity, it is a young man's league. It would not hurt him to go back to the AHL. Either way, he could be one that surprises.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Brassard gets the thumbs up from me. This puts pressure specifically on Beauvillier and Dal Colle in my opinion.

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bailey - Nelson - Ho Sang
Beauvillier - Brassard - Kuhnhackl
Martin - Cizekas - Komorov

Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Greiss

Depth/Injured
Dal Colle
Clutterbuck
Johnson
IR - Ladd

Possible promotion
Fritz
Wahlstrom
Dobson

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I agree Wahlstrom will have to make the team on merit. It will not be handed to him. I do think he is a top 10 pick talent that slipped to #11. His year at Boston didn't work out, but his AHL stint showed me he is what I saw him as. A top offensive talent. Something the Isles need. 19 year olds in the NHL are not a foreign concept anymore. If you have the talent and you show the maturity, it is a young man's league. It would not hurt him to go back to the AHL. Either way, he could be one that surprises.

Such a steep fall :naughty:

I don't see Wahlstrom making it out of camp, did you forget about JHS and MDC? I imagine with their new contracts, they will at least get a shot at the start of the season. Not sure why you would expect a waiver exempt player to make the team...

Brassard gets the thumbs up from me. This puts pressure specifically on Beauvillier and Dal Colle in my opinion.

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bailey - Nelson - Ho Sang
Beauvillier - Brassard - Kuhnhackl
Martin - Cizekas - Komorov

Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Greiss

Depth/Injured
Dal Colle
Clutterbuck
Johnson
IR - Ladd

Possible promotion
Fritz
Wahlstrom
Dobson

Looks good to me!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Such a steep fall :naughty:

I don't see Wahlstrom making it out of camp, did you forget about JHS and MDC? I imagine with their new contracts, they will at least get a shot at the start of the season. Not sure why you would expect a waiver exempt player to make the team...

Looks good to me!
What does such a steep fall mean?

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Dal Colle-Brassard-Komarov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Mayfield

Varlamov
Greiss

Reactions: 13th Floor

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Reactions: Treebeard

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It has nothing to do with the ezxpansion draft- if Wahlstrom makes the team, then Dal Colle, Kuhnackl, Ho-Sang must clear waivers in order to play at B port

At this stage, I don't think any of MDC, Hosang, or Kuhnackl would be any big losses. I am not saying Wahlstrom is a lock to make the NHL at 19. What I am saying is it has happened far too often to be closed minded to this. The Isles had a 103 pts season, what they lacked was a goal here or there in the line up. When St Louis wins the cup in the manner they did last year, their roster is not superstar filled as the Isles roster is not, but play very similar to the way the Isles play as a collective. You do not close your mind on players that can help win at the NHL level due to waivers or expansion draft considerations on perhaps a chance of winning it all. You use every player in the organization to win each year that is capable of helping the cause which is to win the cup eventually.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
At this stage, I don't think any of MDC, Hosang, or Kuhnackl would be any big losses. I am not saying Wahlstrom is a lock to make the NHL at 19. What I am saying is it has happened far too often to be closed minded to this. The Isles had a 103 pts season, what they lacked was a goal here or there in the line up. When St Louis wins the cup in the manner they did last year, their roster is not superstar filled as the Isles roster is not, but play very similar to the way the Isles play as a collective. You do not close your mind on players that can help win at the NHL level due to waivers or expansion draft considerations on perhaps a chance of winning it all. You use every player in the organization to win each year that is capable of helping the cause which is to win the cup eventually.

Come on now. If ho sang gets waived that means he was a complete dog out of camp, healthy scratch for lots of games in a row and just no need to keep him on the roster. At that point, I agree no big loss. Just a shame we couldn't trade him for a 7th round pick, and a failed 1st round pick but we move on.

But dal colle? MDC has proven he can, at the very least, be a reliable 3rd line winger. He can drop the gloves (had 2 fights in the A) and chip in the occasional goal and nice pass. I think everyone can agree that last season MDC proved that to be true at NHL level. Waiving him would just be giving away a player for nothing. A guy that proved to be reliable in a particular roll. "No big loss" not true. And IMO he will score much better numbers this year. Let's see how it goes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Come on now. If ho sang gets waived that means he was a complete dog out of camp, healthy scratch for lots of games in a row and just no need to keep him on the roster. At that point, I agree no big loss. Just a shame we couldn't trade him for a 7th round pick, and a failed 1st round pick but we move on.

But dal colle? MDC has proven he can, at the very least, be a reliable 3rd line winger. He can drop the gloves (had 2 fights in the A) and chip in the occasional goal and nice pass. I think everyone can agree that last season MDC proved that to be true at NHL level. Waiving him would just be giving away a player for nothing. A guy that proved to be reliable in a particular roll. "No big loss" not true. And IMO he will score much better numbers this year. Let's see how it goes.

I like MDC. But he is what he is at this stage of his career. Maybe he can carve out a career as a journeyman winger. He most likely will be passed by CW Koivula, W Holmstrom, W Bellows, and W Wahlstrom. Isles also have drafted players that could also be usable fwds in Bibeau and Iskhakov. Not to sound disrespectful, but Isles have been very patient with Hosang and MDC. Sometimes change is good for both parties. We will see. I would love to be wrong about MDC and Hosang.

Reactions: DalGoal4Cups

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I like MDC. But he is what he is at this stage of his career. Maybe he can carve out a career as a journeyman winger. He most likely will be passed by CW Koivula, W Holmstrom, W Bellows, and W Wahlstrom. Isles also have drafted players that could also be usable fwds in Bibeau and Iskhakov. Not to sound disrespectful, but Isles have been very patient with Hosang and MDC. Sometimes change is good for both parties. We will see. I would love to be wrong about MDC and Hosang.

This alone should tell you the chance of waiving both of them to play Wahlstrom is slim to none. They've been patient with them, signed them to contracts and suddenly they are just going to cut bait? Sorry, don't buy it bud. Guess we'll wait and see.

Reactions: seafoam

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
3. I'm not sure what Year 2 under Trotz really gets us. Sure they have a full year under their belt to digest the system. But likewise, other teams have a full year to see what the Islanders are all about. How they play, what their tendencies are, etc. I'll call this a wash. I love Trotz but its not like he snaps his fingers and wills things to happen. He is prepared, his teams' are responsible, disciplined and well coached. We saw all that last year. I don't think we'll get an additional benefit beyond what we've already seen solely from BT being our coach.

The benefit is he's Barry Trotz. He will adjust to the adjustments made against him and continue being successful. No regression is progression.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If Wahlstrom or Dobson did make the team this year, this would be for the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. I believe players with 1 or 2 NHL experience would be draft exempt.

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

I was talking about waivers.

You don't throw away players who can play and deplete your depth because someone has a good training camp and pre-season.

Dal Colle isn't a fighter, just stop. Losing Ho-Sang is much worse than Dal Colle at the moment as well, you just have a love affair with him for some reason. I'll take the gamble on a top 6 talent than a mediocre third liner.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

You don't throw away players who can play and deplete your depth because someone has a good training camp and pre-season.
Thx for the clarification, I realized that after I posted you were actually talking about waivers. To me Draft exempt was far more a factor. For which the Isles may lose one of them to Seattle anyway. So for me, waivers is a non factor when the Isles are building a good pipeline of wingers ready to take their place.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

Dal Colle isn't a fighter, just stop. Losing Ho-Sang is much worse than Dal Colle at the moment as well, you just have a love affair with him for some reason. I'll take the gamble on a top 6 talent than a mediocre third liner.

I never said he was a fighter a la russ Johnson or MM. But he has had 2 fights in A. Bellows had a few fights as well. Is bellows a fighter? No but it's something he does if he has to. Stop discrediting a player willing to risk his face to throw down for the team. We never saw johnny PJs do that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I never said he was a fighter a la russ Johnson or MM. But he has had 2 fights in A. Bellows had a few fights as well. Is bellows a fighter? No but it's something he does if he has to. Stop discrediting a player willing to risk his face to throw down for the team. We never saw johnny PJs do that.

Great. He fought twice in the AHL, good for him. Nearly every player is willing to fight at some point, we've even seen Bailey fight. It's not a part of his game.

Reactions: Hagstrom

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This alone should tell you the chance of waiving both of them to play Wahlstrom is slim to none. They've been patient with them, signed them to contracts and suddenly they are just going to cut bait? Sorry, don't buy it bud. Guess we'll wait and see.

They wouldn’t have given Dal Colle two years if they were just gonna cut him, Ho-Sang on the other hand...I think they’ll try and find a way to hold onto him as long as possible but he’s definitely a candidate to be put on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad