Speculation: Pre-camp lines

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
It will be interesting what comes out of training camp in October.
I expect there may still be some moves before opening night.

For now my the top 23 looks like:

Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bailey - Nelson - Ho Sang
Dal Colle - Beauvillier - Kuhnhackl
Martin - Cizekas - Komorov

Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Greiss

Depth/Injured
Johnson - Ladd
IR - Clutterbuck

Possible promotion
Fritz
Wahlstrom
Dobson

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

Lee - Barzal - Eberle

Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Greiss

Depth/Injured
Johnson - Ladd
IR - Clutterbuck

Interesting 2nd line! I like it. You have brock as the shooter, two responsible vets + sanger. If sanger could get it together between his ears that would a huge boost. His first call up last year, his game in AZ. I believe that was the game where trotz called him the best player on the ice. Would be great if JHS puts it all together this camp.

Lee - Barzal - Ebs
Bails - Brock - JHS
MDC - Koivula - Beau (I love the size + skill of this line + beaus speed)
MM - Cizikas - Leo (assuming clutter is still hurt)

Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Boychuck
Leddy - Dobson (Kids a stud but I think he sticks around, plays 8 games than goes back to Jrs, WJC than the AHL).

Varly / Greisser

I'm a huge Koivula fan boy. Watching him in the AHL last year was so impressive. His IQ, his toughness, pace, his grit, his size. He was a leader on the ice even at such a young age. Super impressive. I think he's a serious player to push for that 3c roll.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Lee - Barzal - Eberle

Leddy - Boychuk
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Greiss

Depth/Injured
Johnson - Ladd
IR - Clutterbuck

Possible promotion
Fritz
Wahlstrom
Dobson
From the last reports that came out, I think Ladd was behind Clutterbuck as far as recuperation. If I had to guess, I think Clutter will be ready for opening day while Ladd will not be.

He may get one of those really long stints on IR - even if he is ready.

I'd love JHS to play himself into a top 6 role. I'll believe it when I see it though. I'm also doubtful whether Beauvillier gets put at C. While I think he could fill in there if need be, I don't think that's where his future lies. Of course, we don't have anyone else to play there at this point so its as good a guess as anything.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Early guesstimate

Lee-Barzy-Eberle
Bailey-Nelson-Koivula
MDC-Beau-Komorov
MM-CC-CC
Johnston Kuhnhackl

D - same as last year

Last edited:

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Tito - Barzal - Marner
Lee- Nelson - Eberle
MDC/Moose Knuckle - Boyle- Bailey
Martin - Cizikas - CC

Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Mayfield
Leddy - Boychuk

Hickey
Komorov

Varlamov
Greiss

IR Ladd

Reactions: Treebeard

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Bailey - Barzal - Laine
Lee - Nelson - Eberle
Martin - Cizikas - Komarov
Kuhnackl - Beauvillier - Ho-Sang
Johnston - Fritz
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Boychuk
Hickey - Dobson
Kulikov - Aho

IR - Ladd and Cal

Varly
Greiss

* Wahl, MDC, #1 part of deal to obtain PL

* would then consider flipping Kulikov for Frolik and signing a someone like McQuaid to cover RHD

Last edited:

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York
Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bailey - Nelson - Beauvillier
Ladd - Fritz - Dal Colle
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Toews - Mayfield
Pelech - Pulock
Leddy - Boychuk

Varlomov
Greiss

Kuhnhackl
Komorov
Hickey

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Bailey - Barzal - Laine
Lee - Nelson - Eberle
Martin - Cizikas - Komarov
Kuhnackl - Beauvillier - Ho-Sang
Johnston - Fritz
Pelech - Pulock
Toews - Boychuk
Hickey - Dobson
Kulikov - Aho

IR - Ladd and Cal

Varly
Greiss

* Wahl, MDC, #1 part of deal to obtain PL

* would then consider flipping Kulikov for Frolik and signing a someone like McQuaid to cover RHD

Man, if Lou can manage to pick up Frolik by trading another team's player to get him, I'd say he's gotta be the absolute front runner for GM of the Year.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Man, if Lou can manage to pick up Frolik by trading another team's player to get him, I'd say he's gotta be the absolute front runner for GM of the Year.

Kulikov and Frolik have the same cap hit and have expiring contracts. They could deal with one another, but I doubt those teams will deal with one another.

My thought process for the proposed trade for Laine would be to take Kulikov’s cap hit -

Wahlstrom, #1, Leddy, and Mayfield (I’d throw in MDC)
For Laine and Kulikov

Flipping for Frolik seems more doable via different conferences.

IMO, Laine is going to hold out.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Kulikov and Frolik have the same cap hit and have expiring contracts. They could deal with one another, but I doubt those teams will deal with one another.

My thought process for the proposed trade for Laine would be to take Kulikov’s cap hit -

Wahlstrom, #1, Leddy, and Mayfield (I’d throw in MDC)
For Laine and Kulikov

Flipping for Frolik seems more doable via different conferences.

IMO, Laine is going to hold out.
Jets aren't ditching their star player for scraps, let alone throwing in Kulikov

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York
I keep defaulting to Fritz as my 4th line center, just because I think the organization in the long term wants to keep Beauvillier at wing. But perhaps I'm wrong. I see a lot of you guys have Beauvillier at center. It makes sense logistically as we have a surplus of wingers and a shortage of centers, but beyond what you want to happen, do you guys actually think that will happen? This is presuming we don't bring in a center from outside the organization, of course.

Furthermore, do you all legitimately see Beauvillier as someone who can carve out an NHL career at that position?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I keep defaulting to Fritz as my 4th line center, just because I think the organization in the long term wants to keep Beauvillier at wing. But perhaps I'm wrong. I see a lot of you guys have Beauvillier at center. It makes sense logistically as we have a surplus of wingers and a shortage of centers, but beyond what you want to happen, do you guys actually think that will happen? This is presuming we don't bring in a center from outside the organization, of course.

Furthermore, do you all legitimately see Beauvillier as someone who can carve out an NHL career at that position?

I think Beauvillier is smart enough and has the motor to be a good center. His issue is strength and confidence. He's really similar to Cizikas in a lot of ways, just isn't as strong.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Scarps?? Wahlstrom is going to be one hell of a player.
Laine scored 30+ goals the past three years, and is only 21. Wahlstrom might be a good player - we honestly have to wait and see. I believe Winnipeg would want more than Wahlstrom, a 1st, and throw-ins. They would want Dobson.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Laine scored 30+ goals the past three years, and is only 21. Wahlstrom might be a good player - we honestly have to wait and see. I believe Winnipeg would want more than Wahlstrom, a 1st, and throw-ins. They would want Dobson.

Leddy is not a throw in.

And you’re right - they’ll ask for Dobson.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It pained me to write this, but you just know this is going to be the game one lineup...

Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Martin-Cizikas-Kuhnhackl
Dal Colle-Fritz-Komarov
Ho-Sang, Johnston

IR: Cluttberuck, Ladd

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Griess

If Clutterbuck is good to go, Dal Colle is probably the odd man out and Ho-Sang is probably waived.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It pained me to write this, but you just know this is going to be the game one lineup...

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Bailey-Nelson-Kuhnhackl
Dal Colle-Fritz-Komarov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Ho-Sang, Johnston

IR: Ladd

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Griess
You've been pretty vocal as to how anemic this line up is as currently constructed. Honestly, I can't say you're wrong. The only thing that can really give this lineup some pop is a major trade for one of the RFAs. If you insert Laine in for Kuhnackl, that all of a sudden becomes a legit top 6 (you can re-arrange between the top 2 lines as necessary). We may end up making a move for a guy like Boyle to replace Fritz but that's not really moving the needle one way or another. If JHS has a good camp, maybe he plays over Kuhnackl.

At this point, we are basically hoping that we get some organic growth out of MDC, JHS and possibly Wahlstrom (although I can't see him making the leap absent injuries). That's certainly a real possibility, but "Hope" isn't the best strategy when building a roster.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Bailey-Nelson-Kuhnhackl
Dal Colle-Fritz-Komarov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Ho-Sang, Johnston

IR: Ladd

Pelech-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Mayfield
Hickey

Varlamov
Griess
Where is Beau?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You've been pretty vocal as to how anemic this line up is as currently constructed. Honestly, I can't say you're wrong. The only thing that can really give this lineup some pop is a major trade for one of the RFAs. If you insert Laine in for Kuhnackl, that all of a sudden becomes a legit top 6 (you can re-arrange between the top 2 lines as necessary). We may end up making a move for a guy like Boyle to replace Fritz but that's not really moving the needle one way or another. If JHS has a good camp, maybe he plays over Kuhnackl.

At this point, we are basically hoping that we get some organic growth out of MDC, JHS and possibly Wahlstrom (although I can't see him making the leap absent injuries). That's certainly a real possibility, but "Hope" isn't the best strategy when building a roster.

The problem is that organic growth from Dal Colle and/or Ho-Sang would just mean they are NHL players, not necessarily top six players who move the needle. The ship of them being impact players set sail a while back. I’m fine with keeping them around, but they are depth until proven otherwise.

The organic growth that could make a difference for this team is Barzal (back to PPG level), and more importantly Beauvillier (who I initially forgot). If Beauvillier can take a legit step forward and post 30g/25a while playing in a top six role, this team should remain competitive.

If Lamoriello does indeed go into the season with the lineup I listed above (even if he adds Boyle for example), he failed to execute his job. At the end of the day, there needs to be organic growth from your young players (all four listed above), coupled with a trade for a legit top six forward (or top nine at worst), and an addition like Boyle to move Fritz to a depth role.

In my opinion, of course.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If Lamoriello does indeed go into the season with the lineup I listed above (even if he adds Boyle for example), he failed to execute his job. At the end of the day, there needs to be organic growth from your young players (all four listed above), coupled with a trade for a legit top six forward (or top nine at worst), and an addition like Boyle to move Fritz to a depth role.

The Isles were in a tough position this off season. They had a good number of contributing veterans who were FAs and they also needed to add some pop. My take would have been to re-sign Lee early as he brings a unique skill that isn't easily replaced and hold off on signing Eberle until 7/1. Eberle is a nice player and I don't dislike him, but he is someone you can improve upon. Upgrading to Panarin from Eberle would have kept this team structure intact but would have improved significantly on a top 6 forward. They didn't go that route and ultimately it didn't matter as Panarin didn't come here anyway. So now we are in a position where we have a significant amount of $$$ tied up in our top 6 and if we signed a marginal FA (I'm talking a Tatar-esque player), we would have essentially locked in our top 6 with late 20s players (except for Barzal who will be locked up next year, ideally) for at least the next 4 years. That's not great roster management. There's no room for movement, ascension from our prospects and any room for maneuvering if someone should over/under perform.

I understand why we didn't sign that FA. But now we are in the situation where we go into the season with an underwhelming lineup or spend a big amount (asset AND dollar wise) on one of the marquee FAs. The reality is is that we have the assets to make a move if we want to. But that move doesn't often present itself and we are at the whim of external factors we have no control of. We can of course make Offer Sheets or present trade offers to teams, but teams will only entertain those as a last case scenario. Maybe something falls in our laps, but we won't know about it until close(r) to the season and we cannot prepare accordingly for a situation that will occur at the last minute.

So now we wait......... with a mediocre squad that over-performed last year with the hope of the same thing happening. That's fine for now, but hope ain't a great strategy.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The problem is that organic growth from Dal Colle and/or Ho-Sang would just mean they are NHL players, not necessarily top six players who move the needle. The ship of them being impact players set sail a while back. I’m fine with keeping them around, but they are depth until proven otherwise.

The organic growth that could make a difference for this team is Barzal (back to PPG level), and more importantly Beauvillier (who I initially forgot). If Beauvillier can take a legit step forward and post 30g/25a while playing in a top six role, this team should remain competitive.

If organic growth goes their way, then Beau and Ho-Sang become top 6 or at least top 9 players. That means they can balance the top 9 and force Kuhnackl to the press box. Does organic growth mean Beau plays C? Beau doesn’t need to score 30, he needs to solve the 3C, score 20, and kill penalties.

By not doing anything, then it still leaves cap space and assets in place for a move later in the year - what if Laine and Marner hold out and are the trading block, then Isles have the cap space and possibly players who grow organically in the first month or two of the season also raise their stock.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad