PPM #13 - Basketball is LIVE! Sign Up Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
Which sport?

basketball.
for soccer i already do that in my the database

Im playing players outside positions to study the effects of playing outside. I will calculate their expected rate based on the position and try to figure it out the height penalty.

In a few days I will be able to do it.

excel also calculates the tactics to be used for a defined 5 player lineup.

so far its doing well for me :)

PS: I puled mine as quick as possible since I am not building SA level 4. I have feeling the pulls are influenced by what other managers levels are as well. So .... it thought i was tied to the best :)

Not sure why I am not 10 logins experienced while cory, for example, is. I am pretty sure i played in every single day.

so, i cant ask for a loan till tonight to start building my facilities. I dont plan on focusing on SA as i don't believe this draft thing. Unless soccer turns out to be great (so far i dont have much hopes left as another day of all Ds).

Talking about draft, found an A+ on my last scouting. I have #3 selection and I believe he will be mine (if i don't forget to show up to draft).

More: today's match was the one that gave me the final piece of information i needed to define a plan for Basketball Season 1.
My plan will be a modified version of my initial plan (called plan B). I believe it will be effective, just not as much as i initial thought.

I don't have plans, at the moment, to buy new players unless i find very cheap players around. Plan to fill the roster with youngsters. since I don't plan to sell players at the end of the season, I will likely place a few ones for sell that wont make my team.

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I was certainly lucky to start with a pretty good basketball team, only lost one game so far and that was to bulls in OT when he played VH. I've been winning games by large enough margins that my subs are getting a lot of playing time, 4 of my starters played only 4:30 today and all 5 of them played only 2:47 yesterday.

I definitely have an early advantage, just have figure out the best way to capitalize on it.

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
I was certainly lucky to start with a pretty good basketball team, only lost one game so far and that was to bulls in OT when he played VH. I've been winning games by large enough margins that my subs are getting a lot of playing time, 4 of my starters played only 4:30 today and all 5 of them played only 2:47 yesterday.

I definitely have an early advantage, just have figure out the best way to capitalize on it.

hands down you haven been the best manager in D1.

Cant say the best team because they are all pretty much the same level.

You have the best offense and I have the best defense. However, you have the second best defense while i have the 7th offense. that pretty much says it all!!

I am playing all my matches on VH so far and will keep that way for a while.

camrawrn

Apr 16, 2013
When does the national cup start? I'm ready to face some actual competition. :D

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
About 1 week before he grew.

so if a player grows 1cm per 7 days, then he could grow 10cm in the first season if the growth is linear per age.

When does the national cup start? I'm ready to face some actual competition. :D

LOL, honestly, I can't play in IV league. way too boring for me. Even though it is a smart thing to do: gain easy OTR, earn promotion bonus, no draft competition and so on ...

camrawrn

Apr 16, 2013
LOL, honestly, I can't play in IV league. way too boring for me. Even though it is a smart thing to do: gain easy OTR, earn promotion bonus, no draft competition and so on ...

It's going to be a loooooong 70 days. :D

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
I was reading the Canucks article's replies .. and since i cant rely there since Tesca banned me for life ... I will say this: I laughed out loud at the Larky's new image!!!! it is very real!!!

also something came out from what Manus said ...
why don't don't just not to try to reinvent the wheel????

Look at those already existing management games made by big coorporations as EA sports!!! when we scout and select a pick they give us sugestions on what positions they are expected to be selected
top 4
top 7
mid 1st round
1st round
2nd round
3rd round

I like the idea of having less scouting available BUT having the system to give us some clue.

and also like canucks idea of bringing already "aged" players (not too old) with some experience.

Dont like the idea to have higher Or for top picks as it would disturb the balance

combining all ideas i think the best would be

1. Provide hints to where players should be selected
2. Less scouting available - thus quicker process (ppm wont like as less potential money i guess)
3. top player to have highest POTENTIAL/QUALITY
4. Lower players to be more aged some experience and higher OR

that is what happens in real life. usually top players are young talented full of potential that are often not ready yet (unless their names are Lebron or Duncan)

2nd round (of NBA at least) are full or senior players more experienced(and international prospects that will join later when they are 23yo or so) and ready to take a role in the team even though their potential are limited.

Some of those 2nd rounders are "gens" and turn to GREAT players. those should be the "hidden gems" in ppm.

there are several of great players drafted in 2nd round that were "hidden gems"

to name a few
1. Denis Rodman - Hall of Fame
2. Nate Archibald - One of the best Point Guards of the 70s - 6 time All Star
3. Manu Ginobili - no need to comment. Just won the NBA title
4. Gilbert Arenas - he was a hard case and plagued with injury but was a great player
5. Jeff Hornacheck - One of the most important Jazz player.
6. Carlos Boozer - yeah he is currently overpaid and blah blah blah, but has a polished offensive game
7. Toni Kukoc - One of my favorite Bulls player of all time.
8. Doc Rivers - one of the best defenders and one of the most important Hawks player
9. Monta Ellis - no defense but a beast scorer.
10. Rashard Lewis
11. Stephen Jackson
12. Antonio Davis - not much of an offensive player but he was a great defensive player
13. Marc Gasol - very solid player
14. Steve Kerr - he can shoot 3s ;)
15. Mehmet Okur - good scorer and decent defender
16. Brad Miller - made a good career

there are more but those are the ones i can recall now.

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
PS, if my suggested idea would be used, one of the hints would also be players age (this should be very well known without need to scout.

that would give a great hint to managers if they are selecting potential or experienced/mature/higher Or player

Managers that have first picks would have a great chance to select/scout based on potential or current higher OR/experience

1 week ban, ��
a week ban in PPM is the same as life sentence with parole in a week.

without me annoying canucks in the forums and Outsider spamming with his ego saying how great his players/facilities are and annoying me with eventual confrontation between us, there will be 70% less traffic there. thus .. life sentence ;)

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
With 8 days of soccer scouting (29% of total) here is the updated statistics

Percentage in the pool => A+: 0%, A: 0%, B: 12.5%, C: 10%, D: 77.5%

Max numbers of players available in the pool: A+: 0, A: 0, B: 30, C: 24, D: 182

Max probable number of players a manager will find due to limited number of scouting: A+: 0, A: 0, B: 18, C: 14, D: 208

In a league of 24 teams, some will not be able to select B in the first round

CANUCKS: 78% Ds???? you need to replace your graph to the one Lanky posted as that one is more realistic

78% male in the Playboy mansion. The remaining 12% are gays, lesbians, transsexuals and girls. My question still is? WHERE ARE THE GIRLS in the playboy mansion????

note: nothing against gays, lesbians and transsexuals. Just giving an analogy to the C, B, A and A+ meaning just because the boys are the 78% it does not even mean that the girls are the all remaining 12%

======== Added: Hockey

Percentage in the pool => A+: 3%, A: 3%, B: 55%, C: 39%, D: 0%
Max numbers of players available in the pool: A+: 2, A: 2, B: 41, C: 29, D: 0
Max probable number of players a manager will find due to limited numner of scoutings: A+: 1, A: 1, B: 19, C: 14, D: 0

Hockey has 20 teams so a team should be able to select at least a B player in the 1st. round. If they were all luck to scout all Bs, they could all get an B in the second round. Unlikely, but there will be several luck ones.

The current distribution is much better. All should be able to grab a B. some luck ones could get 2. All it would need is to make the Bs be worth more than what they are.

so PPM changed the definition of B and C, so now the possible Bs in the current system for 2nd round would be the new Cs.

New draft combined 2 current drafts. but the percentage of B&C (that equals current B) didnt.

current draft: (2x) 1st round: 2 players A+, a or B (as good as new B). second: 2 players B (as good as new C) & non scouted.
new draft: (1x) 1st round: B, second round: C and D

in short: we are losing one draft/pull worth of players to say the least.

and.. current draft: 14 days of scouting plus 2 draft days against
28 scouting days plus (will it be 2 days too? not sure, if not, it will be a very long draft)

in short: New draft: twice as long and at least twice less quality players.

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
And if we use my equally inadequate sample size of scouting results to draw faulty conclusions of the data the 22 team US soccer I.1 draft will have:

A: 25 B: 51 C: 51 D: 213

In short: exactly what canucks said it would be.

Last edited:

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
And if we use my equally inadequate sample size of scouting results to draw faulty conclusions of the data the 22 team US soccer I.1 draft will have:

A: 25 B: 51 C: 51 D: 213

In short: exactly what canucks said it would be.

so i guess you found 3 As ? you are the first one that i heard that found at least one. granted i have not checked from people from D1

213 Ds = 63% even at much less than my sample still a LOT.

Cory

Hockeytown
Nov 18, 2013
Michigan
so i guess you found 3 As ? you are the first one that i heard that found at least one. granted i have not checked from people from D1

213 Ds = 63% even at much less than my sample still a LOT.

I posted somewhere that I had found an A. So he's not the only one.

canucks357

Jul 17, 2009
Canada
Well, very much like soccer, despite having a good crop of youth I now only have two 6/6 players. And a plethora of 2/6 and below.

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
I find it sad that a team with lvl 7 HR scouted the same player A+ like my HR 14 did.

And now all the A and A+ players i scouted went in first 12 picks. You manage your team well and you get rewarded with crap pick. You suck at managing your team and log in once in a blue moon and you get rewarded with A+ player.

BALANCE

Last edited:

EspOrrsito

edumacated
Feb 27, 2002
B.C.
Visit site
The new season in hockey brings a 20% + increase in revenues, not too bad considering my team just dodged the relegation bullet to stay in II.4.

Soccer, my best player who was a market steal at 4,000,000 became a restricted free agent. Of course someone signed him at $30,000,000 and to keep him I need to fork over 21,000,000. Bye bye Borislav Vakliev, I'll take the $15,000,000 compensation.

Handball, who cares?

Basketball, off to a nice 6 and 0 start but there are 8 Team noname and one other team folded so we'll see how that all develops.

canucks357

Jul 17, 2009
Canada
Hockey team now has an average CL of 3.8. Last season or the one before it was over 5. Sigh. Guess this means rebuild is nearly done and these are the goodies I'm left to play with. Got a 4-3W in the season opener. Was a bit too close for comfort given the shots were 48-18 or something like that. I did play my 3rd-best lineup though...

Basketball I'm 2nd in Canada in OTR. Woop! Only can go down from here :D

camrawrn

Apr 16, 2013
Accidentally forgot to change my tactics for the first hockey game, so I played on very high. I won. It makes me really happy that I posted a 316 goaltending rating. Holy crap... I may have a good chance at promoting this season. I should be able to start level 15s on training, HR, and SA this season, too. Things are looking good for me!

My team is underperforming as usual in soccer. I think I'm in 7th. Thankfully I'm only a few points away from the rest of the pack, so I should make up ground quickly assuming that I don't lose/draw games that I should easily win.

I have placed most of my foreign starters on the market. It's looking like I'm going to bring in some big time money from my goalie, Beke. I've seen two top 10 teams make tracking bids on him, plus a few messages from interested managers. The other three players should give me a nice profit.

Basketball has been pretty smooth for the most part. One loss early in the season, but I've been dominating inactives since then. I think I'm starting to figure out the tactics through friendlies with the Coconut Typhoon. Maybe. Or maybe I'm just stupid.

Bulls4ever

Mar 17, 2014
hockey: I sold my entire team and only kept the youngsters. let my team to relegate to D3. My youngsters are not well trained: horrible ratio but yet im the 2nd strongest team in the league. Earning half i was earning before on General, it is going to be a "fun" season. Set my season goal to be 3rd place. hope that motivates me continuing playing hockey

Basketball: Started to work with my season plan. Goal is just not to relegate, but if I do, it wont be a big deal. Starting 5-1 is helping my goal to be accomplished.

soccer: despite not paying attention much in that team (although not as bad as hockey) I am in 3rd place but minimum chances to finish 2nd and try to promote. Unless i spend some money to buy some players. But i wont. just spend some money to start a new triple. Now just need to finish that one and build the last one. soccer team is also mostly youngsters (but with good ratio).

handball: started the season with goal to learn things I didn't know for sure. I learned somethings that will help my basketball team. I also finally bought a top goalie with very good OR and replaced Tubbs with player same OR and experience but much better qualities and at half cost. And I already had a new top winger for the start of the season. My team is set for next season and many to come. This one is to prepare the players

camrawrn

Apr 16, 2013
Hmm, looks like WasUpNerd got blocked. Wonder if it's temporary or permanent...

I may end up making the playoffs in I.1 on accident!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad